IGNORED

Adventure 3

retrocon

I'm working on a new game based on Atari Adventure. It is tentatively titled Adventure 3: Rescue the Dragon. I have completed the game design and am working on the maps right now. Will try to have some screenshots soon.

But I have a quick question. Do you think Atari would care if I used some of the original graphics in the game? I know I probably wouldn't have to change the adventurer from a "square" to a "circle", but I'd really like to use the original dragon and bat graphics if possible. This game would not likely ever be sold so would that make a difference? Would it make a difference if this game were not developed for Atari hardware? Assuming they cared, would it be enough to change the colors?

I'm working on a new game based on Atari Adventure. It is tentatively titled Adventure 3: Rescue the Dragon. I have completed the game design and am working on the maps right now. Will try to have some screenshots soon.

But I have a quick question. Do you think Atari would care if I used some of the original graphics in the game? I know I probably wouldn't have to change the adventurer from a "square" to a "circle", but I'd really like to use the original dragon and bat graphics if possible. This game would not likely ever be sold so would that make a difference? Would it make a difference if this game were not developed for Atari hardware? Assuming they cared, would it be enough to change the colors?

889575[/snapback]

Hi

sounds great.

greetings Gambler172 ;)

Hi

sounds great.

greetings Gambler172 ;)

889837[/snapback]

Thanks... Team Savage is working hard on this...

Here is the first screenshot of the game. It is from an area of the game called the King's Zoo. The lower left corner of the screen is part of a cage that houses the last dragon. This area is composed of 6 screens, actually 2 unique screens that are flipped vertically and horizonally as needed.

It's not possible to grab a screenshot of the game yet, so this a snapshot of the game running on actual hardware. Also, the colors are off right now, so ignore them.

Please let me know what you think though...

post-4382-1121129818_thumb.jpg

Team Savage is pleased with the progress...

I have finished the King's Zoo area, at least more or less a rough draft of it. Check out the screenshot. In it are all six screens layed out in the correct order.

Basically the big thing in the center is NOT a football field :) but rather it's a cage. The dragon will cruise around in there. I will probably remove the bars though so it doesn't look so much like a football stadium, plus it will make for some tricky logic to show the dragon behind the bars.

I put in logic to support up to 32 playfield screens and handle horizontal and vertical flipping and I can navigate through the different screens I've created with my trusty Starmaster joystick.

My goal is to always have the game in a running state during development and then just add features as desired. This makes for a nice iterative approach. To do this I'll probably work on implementing the player "adventurer" logic next, then code the logic and collision detection so he can cruise around the play area, and then implement the dragon and ai. And then on to the next play area and so on.

post-4382-1121151169_thumb.jpg

Also forgot to mention - don't know if I should give this away, but why not - those recesses may save your life more than a few times.

There's something evil lurking around in the zoo and it's hungry, very hungry...

Can you say Black Pudding?

http://www.planetadnd.com/interactive_books/mm00245.php

Edited by retrocon

Looks pretty cool!

and I LOVE the idea of Adventure Football!!! ;)

890381[/snapback]

Thanks. Appreciate the support. Even the Kinkos guy loves you.

Now it is time for videos finally. Here is a video of the dragon moving around. It is actually controlled by me right now. It seemed a little more exciting than moving the 'dot' around :) Makes me think it would be kinda fun to play the dragon in the game. How about dragon-touch football with the 'dot' the ball!

Anyway, this is just the player controlled by the joystick moving around the screen. No collision checking yet and no changing screens yet. I did implement the sprite handling logic and the sprites can be up to 8x32 right now.

Enjoy.

Dragon Moving Video

Edited by retrocon

Hi there!

Enjoy.

Dragon Moving Video

890817[/snapback]

Not Found

The requested URL /~filesene/adv3video1.avi was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Greetings,

Manuel

890818[/snapback]

Should be fixed now. Please try again!

Now it is time for videos finally. Here is a video of the dragon moving around. It is actually controlled by me right now. It seemed a little more exciting than moving the 'dot' around :) Makes me think it would be kinda fun to play the dragon in the game. How about dragon-touch football with the 'dot' the ball!

Although I'd really enjoy dragon football, a really cool concept would be that you ARE Rhindle the Red Dragon trying to eat adventurers. It's about time Rhindle got his own game! Quite similarly like how DK got his own game apart for Donkey Kong.

It would be a blast chasing the adventurers around, running from them when they have a sword etc etc - the possibilities are unique and different and could be a lot of fun!

Small suggestion for the future: A 4K binary would probably do a much better job of showcasing stuff like that, than a 13MB video...

:D

890869[/snapback]

What you don't like my shaky camera-work?

Not possible my friends ;) :D

I'd still like to share the development process though. It makes it much more fun for me. So is it ok if I keep posting the videos?

Edited by retrocon

Not possible my friends  ;)  :D

I'd still like to share the development process though. It makes it much more fun for me. So is it ok if I keep posting the videos?

890980[/snapback]

Fine with me. Are you coding this from scratch, or did you start with something else?

Not possible my friends  ;)  :D

890980[/snapback]

Fine with me. Are you coding this from scratch, or did you start with something else?

890998[/snapback]

From scratch, literally the bits are being thrown up into the air and sorted, but I'm not a masochist in the way the 2600 gods are. This is my own path to enlightenment. Please don't confuse my marbles for kibble guys ;)

Hi there!

So is it ok if I keep posting the videos?

Sure, certainly. Just thought you probably were interested in feedback :ponder: ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

891086[/snapback]

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I wish I could let people try it, but this is just not possible. Someday, maybe, maybe if I finish I'll send one to Al or someone for historical reasons or sell a prototype on ebay or something.

I wish I could let people try it, but this is just not possible.

Just out of curiousity. What does this mean? The way you responded was very mysterious, It almost sounds like maybe...*gulp* your life is in danger if you let this .bin out.

I watched the video, and if your life is indeed threatened, I wouldn't risk it over that.

BTW: I like the updated "dragon" it looks less like a duck that way.

Ok, another bandwidth monster is ready :D

Today was mostly a cleanup day.

I've been trying to make data tables for everything. Hoping to keep things as organized as possible cause it's already starting to get confusing and I've just begun.

The video I have today shows the dragon cruising around the king's zoo. All the data for each screen, including the exit points and room links is loaded from tables now. Yeah!

Cruising through King's Zoo

This is really way too much fun!!

Edited by retrocon

Just out of curiousity. What does this mean? The way you responded was very mysterious, It almost sounds like maybe...*gulp* your life is in danger if you let this .bin out.

Oh, that's silly. I'm just not doing anything risky until I talk to Atari and I'm not going to worry about that until/if I finish it. You know what I mean, right? Besides that, it's just not practical for most people to try this even if I put up an sof file.

BTW: I like the updated "dragon" it looks less like a duck that way.

891504[/snapback]

Thanks. It's just a unintended glitch though :( Let's just call it a happy accident, shall we ;)

Very cool. You can now explore the area!!

Thanks.

It looks as though every new screen you jump to the middle of the screen, was this intentional ?

Yeah, that is just a hack for now. Each time you go into a new room it starts you in a hardcoded spot. I had an algorithm to start you in the right spot, depending on where you enter, but couldn't get it to work before bed time.

Any chance you'd post more info about the gameplay?

891526[/snapback]

Yeah, this is the level you start the game in. You find that Rhindle is imprisoned and sickly; actually he's dying. To save him you have to find the key to his cage and in the meantime occasionally feed him a goat. This will be kinda tricky because you have to place the goat in a particular spot on one screen and then pull the lever on another screen of the zoo.

The thing that makes this tricky also is that a black pudding escaped from its cage and has been crusing around the zoo eating all the animals. Now its still hungry, but the only thing left is the dragon, which it fears, and you which it doesn't. The black pudding will start out like maybe 12 adventurer size blocks and it will move around slowly like a blob does, checking out all the little corners and recesses of the zoo (this gives you your chance to navigate past it). Each time it eats one of your goats or something it will expand one block. You can't kill or fight the black pudding. Rhindle can though.

That's basically it for this area I think. You have to capture goats in another area and bring them in here. There will be some sort of way to gauge how sick Rhindle is so you know when he needs food. To get the key you have to defeat the black knight that captured Rhindle (Good luck, Yorgle and Grundle are mounted and hanging on a wall of his castle). Btw, you will pass through this area a lot (it's at the center of the world) so Rhindle will always be there looking at you oh so sickly and sad until you save him.

Edited by retrocon

I'm just confused - WHY can't you post a .bin file? How are you running it if you don't have a .bin file? Don't tell me you're burning every version to a test EEPROM and running it on an actual Atari 2600 rather than running the file on an emulator... :?

I mean, if you just don't *want* to, say so. All this mysteriousness makes it sound like you're hiding something :)

-DS-

All this mysteriousness makes it sound like you're hiding something :)

-DS-

892788[/snapback]

You are perhaps on to something there. I have given plenty of clues, but no one I guess has figured it out yet. The bottom line is that this will probably never see the light of day, even if Atari allowed it, so please don't confuse my marbles for kibble :)