IGNORED

Omnitrend's Universe Manual?

Does anyone have the manual for Omnitrend's Universe? My original is long, long gone - and I used to have a text printout in a binder, but it seems that too has disappeared.

I've been looking for this for a few years now, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated! :D

Edited by remowilliams

If I recall, don't you actually HAVE to have the manual to play the game? It would randomly request you to enter a word from a particular page/sentence to start the game?

Curt

Does anyone have the manual for Omnitrend's Universe.  My original is long, long gone - and I used to have a text printout in a binder, but it seems that too has disappeared.

I've been looking for this for a few years now, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!  :D

893048[/snapback]

If I recall, don't you actually HAVE to have the manual to play the game?  It would randomly request you to enter a word from a particular page/sentence to start the game?

Curt

No, you don't need it for any particular copy protection. But it has a wealth of info on planets, ships, weapons, cargos etc... Universe II and III do have "word" copy protection, but they are on the ST, and those manuals I have.

I can't believe I lost it. Twice no less.

Only problem is when I print the scans they look awful.  Looks like they were grayscale scanned instead of B&W.  I don't know any easy way to clean that up  :?

893196[/snapback]

It is a pity that it is in jpeg format. There is lot of compress artefacts. It is very hard (maybe impossible) to rid of them :(

It is a pity that it is in jpeg format. There is lot of compress artefacts. It is very hard (maybe impossible) to rid of them :(

893206[/snapback]

Yeah, I'm no expert - but what I've tried so far isn't cleaning up the mess. Maybe I'll try passing it through OCR and see what happens :|

I managed to clean the noise out of the non text page sections, and enhance the text contrast. While not perfect (noise still remains in text blocks), it looks far better when printed now.

I also PDFed it (~4.5MB) In case anyone other than me cares - PM me and I'll send you a copy if you want one.

post-5887-1121722417_thumb.jpg

Omnitrend is still in business: http://www.omnitrend.com/

And Universe programmer Tom Carbone is still the owner/operator of the company.  You can contact him at support@omnitrend.com and see if he still has an electronic copy of the original document.

Bill

893850[/snapback]

You are quite correct - amazingly Omnitrend is still around. And they have NOS copies of the following games:

Universe I: Atari XE/XL, PC, and Apple //

Universe II: PC, ST, and Amiga

Universe III: Atari ST

Breach: PC

Campaign Disk: PC

Breach 2: ST, Amiga, or PC

Paladin: PC or ST

Paladin Quest Disk: PC or ST

Paladin 2: Amiga or PC

Rules of Engagement I: Amiga or PC

Rules of Engagement II: PC

Prices are original list (i.e.):

Universe I $69.95

Universe 3 $59.95

Breach 2 $59.95

Rules of Engagement $69.95

Edited by remowilliams

• 4 weeks later...
How did you find out about the NOS copies?  Did you contact Tom?

Bill

912912[/snapback]

Yes, I contacted Tom directly. He was kind enough to look through his storage and find everything I was looking for. When one of my disks was bad from bit rot, he was nice enough to read one of his copies and send it to me as well :)

• 2 months later...
Only the "newer" 1.3 version of Universe supports two drives. The original release version does not.

I've tried Universe v.1.1 from the Holmes cd collection and Universe v.1.2 from atarimania and as stated above neither work with multiple drives under Atari800WinPlus.

Does anyone have the disk images for Universe v.1.3 or later for the Atari?

Thanks

Bill

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Only the "newer" 1.3 version of Universe supports two drives. The original release version does not.

I've tried Universe v.1.1 from the Holmes cd collection and Universe v.1.2 from atarimania and as stated above neither work with multiple drives under Atari800WinPlus.

Does anyone have the disk images for Universe v.1.3 or later for the Atari?

Thanks

Bill

964017[/snapback]

Hate to disagree with remowilliams, as I benefited greatly from his efforts on the manual, but I was able to run v1.2 from atarimania with two disks without any problem.

As for formatting the player disk, you have to use single density format. If you still can't get it to format, I attached a player disk for you, Captain Bill of the Lange's Lounge. It is ship #1, the ZM-110 or whatever. Don't forget to hold down Start and Enter for two disk play on the Flight disks (again, courtesy of remo's manual efforts).

universe_player_bill.zip

• 2 years later...

Anyone know where I can get the 1.3 version of Universe to run on an emulator? I thinkI have version 1.2, and I have an apparent normal problem with the sublight drive. I can run the scan, and apparently it'll move the ship, but then it locks up. Luckily it appears also to write the move to the player disk, because if I reboot flight 1 the move will be there, or at elast so far it has. Any help is appreciated, and I already trned of the SIO patch on Atari800Win PLus 4.0.

• 5 months later...
Anyone know where I can get the 1.3 version of Universe to run on an emulator? I thinkI have version 1.2, and I have an apparent normal problem with the sublight drive. I can run the scan, and apparently it'll move the ship, but then it locks up. Luckily it appears also to write the move to the player disk, because if I reboot flight 1 the move will be there, or at elast so far it has. Any help is appreciated, and I already trned of the SIO patch on Atari800Win PLus 4.0.

I had the same problem. Turning off the SIO patch seemed to work for me.