IGNORED

FINALLY!

shadow460

My very own Atari 7800 ProSystem has arrived in the mail!

No more yap based on memories of 2600 games and/or emulation!

I have 70 games that it'll run right now (well, it might need modded for the Supercharger, but at least the SC physically fits the slot.)

I have to get a new switchbox and repair the power supply right quick, then it's game time!

CONGRATS! The 7800 definately is THE premiere Atari system to own~! Ofcourse that's my opinion and I may be extreemly biased but still it's a work of art. The power of an early arcade machine, the gorgeous looks of a sleek low-slung 5200 and the soul of the 2600 make this thing an Atari player's wet dream. Just find a joystick you feel comforatable playing and you'll be all set!

Welcome to the 7800 family! : )

it is a very nice system but unforturnally for the 7800 not all 2600 carts work with the 7800

898623[/snapback]

Yes, they do.

I have an UNMODIFIED 7800, and ALL of the supposed "non-working" carts, and every single one works on mine.

The Super-charger, Space Shuttle, Robot Tank, The Activision Decathlon, Pitfall II, 2600 Darrk Chambers, ALL of them work fine.

The reports of incompatible 7800 systems are far rarer than 7800 detractors would like people to believe.

it is a very nice system but unforturnally for the 7800 not all 2600 carts work with the 7800

898623[/snapback]

Yes, they do.

I have an UNMODIFIED 7800, and ALL of the supposed "non-working" carts, and every single one works on mine.

The Super-charger, Space Shuttle, Robot Tank, The Activision Decathlon, Pitfall II, 2600 Darrk Chambers, ALL of them work fine.

The reports of incompatible 7800 systems are far rarer than 7800 detractors would like people to believe.

898637[/snapback]

im sorry to say but i have an unmodified 7800 with out the side port (i dont know if it makes a difference but i though i might just put in there) and imagic carts dont fit in the system.....all activision games work..atcually every game works but the imagics....but if you have the 7800 that uses imagic cart congrats because i think they are extremely rare

Edited by CaptainCaputo

898623[/snapback]

Of the thousand or so 2600 games out there, all but a handful will play on the 7800. And some 7800's will play more than others.

It's really a question of how you see the glass ... is it half empty or half full? Or in this case, is .1% empty or 99.9% full?

....but if you have the 7800 that uses imagic cart congrats because i think they are extremely rare

898663[/snapback]

Thanks! I do.

Riddle of the Sphinx and Imagic No Escape work fine, Fathom is brokeded.

The one cart that fits worst is, oddly enough, Pole Position II. It gets stuck in the slot and doesn't work half the time.

My Activision games fit tight, too, even Double Dragon and Rampage are tight fits.

The Supercharger fits like a glove.

....but if you have the 7800 that uses imagic cart congrats because i think they are extremely rare

898663[/snapback]

Thanks! I do.

Riddle of the Sphinx and Imagic No Escape work fine, Fathom is brokeded.

The one cart that fits worst is, oddly enough, Pole Position II. It gets stuck in the slot and doesn't work half the time.

My Activision games fit tight, too, even Double Dragon and Rampage are tight fits.

The Supercharger fits like a glove.

899374[/snapback]

How about the other imagic carts like trick shot

898623[/snapback]

Yes, they do.

898637[/snapback]

im sorry to say but i have an unmodified 7800 with out the side port (i dont know if it makes a difference but i though i might just put in there) and imagic carts dont fit in the system.....all activision games work..atcually every game works but the imagics....but if you have the 7800 that uses imagic cart congrats because i think they are extremely rare

898663[/snapback]

Imagic carts fit fine. I've had 3 7800's one with the side port, 2 without. NONE of them ever had a problem with ANY carts.

You can easily fix the problem of carts not fitting as well. It's not the cart slot that is the problem. It's the "cup" around the cart port that is too small, but also not a necessary part. All you need to do it open the case and make a few cuts in the cup that surrounds the cart port to make it more flexible.

He's right about the cup. I split my stupid Fathom game in half trying to get it to work, and I found that the top and bottom halves fit right in with the ROM, but when you mate the ROM to a half, things get tight.

Fitting the entire case minus the ROM board works easy, too.

Fathom is a good game in general, but mine doesn't work cause the ROM chip has desoldered itself from the board. It's my only cart now that doesn't work--even Dark Cavern with the ROM board loose inside works like a charm.

Well, Commie Mutants might have got melted by the heat during shipping, but it's sealed so we will never ever know.

I'm thinking physically, the 7800 and the Pretendo 64 have a lot in common. Cutting or removing the N64's cart cup allows the use of import games. You gotta leave a cart in the 64 at all times to keep dust outta the slot.

Same things seem to help on the 7800.

Any Data Age cart makes a nice dust cover. They fit right into the N64 when you use a big ol' hammer.

Edited by shadow460

The 7800 is great. I have never had a 2600 game that wouldn't work on it. I did make a custom controller for it since the joysticks suck and the gamepads aren't much better.

IMHO the only drawback is its inability to play 5200 games, which are some of my favorite classic games. Now, if there were a 5200 expansion module available for the 5200..I would be in heaven!

Someone mentioned a 7800 without a 'side port'... that must be the 'tramiel version' 7800, i remember hearing that the warners version had the 'side port' which was shaped like an SIO port (from the a8), aparently atari intended that you could use all the a8 sio dev's. with the 7800 (tramiel re designed it in 1986)

Actually, the side port was designed for the Laserdisc player Atari Originally planned to release for the 7800. It was scrapped due to cost.

900201[/snapback]

Yes... but based on the 'SIO' design

900262[/snapback]

The SIO port was on the 7800 keyboard. The expansion port on the 7800 console was for the laserdisc module as Danno said. Two different things.

Mitch

898623[/snapback]

Yes, they do.

898637[/snapback]

898663[/snapback]

The ONLY reason why Imagic carts "don't work" is becuase of the 7800's "sleeve" around the cartridge slot, all I did wa take an exacto knife and cut one of the corners of the sleeve from top to bottom (you can do this with or without removing the sleeve) and the Imagic carts will then plug in snuggly and they will ALL work perfectly. Or, you can just remove the un-needed sleeve all together, other than that, I have the average 7800, one of the later Tramiel Atari releases and every 2600 cart I've ever come across works in it, including the Imagic carts, and robot tank, etc. It's all lies or ignorance! Now I have just removed any ignorance for those who take my suggestion...no more excuses! :cool:

898623[/snapback]

Yes, they do.

898637[/snapback]

898663[/snapback]

The ONLY reason why Imagic carts "don't work" is becuase of the 7800's "sleeve" around the cartridge slot, all I did wa take an exacto knife and cut one of the corners of the sleeve from top to bottom (you can do this with or without removing the sleeve) and the Imagic carts will then plug in snuggly and they will ALL work perfectly. Or, you can just remove the un-needed sleeve all together, other than that, I have the average 7800, one of the later Tramiel Atari releases and every 2600 cart I've ever come across works in it, including the Imagic carts, and robot tank, etc. It's all lies or ignorance! Now I have just removed any ignorance for those who take my suggestion...no more excuses! :cool:

900532[/snapback]

Another incompatible 2600 game i found is Star Wars Jedi Arena

Funky Fish and Pleiades (at least the ones I have) do not work correctly in any of my 7800s and I have several. These games were never released so maybe they don't count but you can get them in the AA store. IMO, both are good games but they won't work in the 7800.