IGNORED

Ever wished you'd kept your mouth shut?

Pipster

I was at a boot sale this morning (i'm in the UK) and spotted the dirtiest VCS you've ever seen with loads of crappy looking joysticks and a dismantled rollerball, the seller wouldn't give me a price so i offered £10 but he was expecting a hell of a lot more than that. So i had look through anyway and spotted an oiginal '77 hex disc stick, without the disc unfortunately but very rare to find in this country anyway. He said he also had loads of very rare games, so i had a look and found the usual collection of text carts and at the bottom 2 loaner carts!! I picked them out and asked how much and we settled on £10 for these 3 items, result i thought so i was chatting to him and told him what they were and why the joystick was unusual and he told he got them from the ex- sales manager of Atari in 1981 which was intersting. A bit later i strolled past him again and he called me over and said he'd found 2 more unusual carts, 1 which was plain black with a small white label with 'NTSC Steller Track' on it and a lab loaner Pac man, i asked how much and he said because of what i'd told him he was going to hold on to them, i feel like such an idiot now.

post-3562-1122108016_thumb.jpg

A long way south from Chester i'm afraid. Also saw a mint condition boxed rubber key Spectrum with loads of games for £40 and no deals, Saturn with back up memory cart for £25, Snes for £3 (which i bought), a few Game Gear games and loads of the usual Playstations, Megadrives etc. I did get there very early though. Over the past couple months i've had 2 boxed woodys for £6 and £10, both working and complete with cardboard inserts. :D

Well, you should still be glad you got what you did. A '77 joystick and two loaner carts for £10, not bad!

A stupid Yank (or, if you guys have the same joke as the Aussies, "Seppo") question for you... What exactly is a boot sale? Is it, as I assume, a guy selling stuff out of the boot (trunk) of his car? Or is it more like a garage sale over here?

Edited by Room 34

I am pleased with what i got, it's a hell of a lot better than i normally come home with.

A 'car boot sale' is a field full of cars/vans selling their junk, normally on tables in front of their vehicles, it used to be out of the back of the cars hence the name 'boot sale'. It's the only way you'll ever find Atari stuff in this country without using the dreaded ebay.

How much would you like to wager that those carts he decided to hold onto will be on eBay in a few days......

897348[/snapback]

screw ebay, give us a chance first, post them in the marketplace!

897353[/snapback]

No, he meant the guy who kept the Pac Man loaner and the NTSC Stellar Track.

I went to boot sales a few times when I've gone to England--relatives of mine sell at them nearly every weekend. I had a blast--they're soooo much better than US flea markets, which are usually vendors of tube socks and used VHS tapes.

I'm keeping mine and yes he mentioned a certain internet auction site for the others with as he put it 'a high reserve', i think if he'd been bigger than me he would have tried to fight me for the ones i already had as well. :D

897419[/snapback]

No ones going to buy it if has a high reserve hes going to end up like the guy on ebay who was selling 10/10 but asking for $600, $700, $1,250.

I'm keeping mine and yes he mentioned a certain internet auction site for the others with as he put it 'a high reserve', i think if he'd been bigger than me he would have tried to fight me for the ones i already had as well. :D

897419[/snapback]

No ones going to buy it if has a high reserve hes going to end up like the guy on ebay who was selling 10/10 but asking for $600, $700, $1,250.

897502[/snapback]

Ahahahaha Atariaction.

Yeah, this is a slow buying season, you're definitely not going to get listed prices this year for games.