IGNORED

Flashback 2 Website - Cartridge Mod Hack

I just put together something quick/simple on modding the Flashback 2 with a cartridge connector.

I'll do the cosmetic mod when I have some free time in the next week and add those pic's:

Atari Flashback 2 Hacking/Modding

Curt

901264[/snapback]

THANK YOU CURT!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: This is great! :D Now all I have to do is get a Flashback 2 and have someone mod it for me, since I'm useless with a soldering iron... ;)

Here are a few suggestions to anyone wanting to do this mod. First of all, keep the ribbon cable as short as you can! It should be no more than six inches or so, but half that would be better. And if you can't, then you need to shield it to ground. This can be as simple as wrapping it with foil and using a clip of some sort to connect it to ground. Another idea if you need to be able to remove the slot for some reason is to get some header pins, and use a junk parallel port cable with the plug already attached. Then wire the header pins to the cartridge slot.

Also, it's a good idea to saw down your PC board to size before you start soldering parts to it. It's a lot easier to saw an empty board. Also, try to saw along a line of holes to make your work easier.

And I would like to repeat the advice to check every connection for continuity. It will save you lots of headaches later. Checking a few times (like every 6 or 12 wires) won't hurt, and may save you from lots of work if you get an off-by-one error. Learning to test regularly is something I've had to learn the hard way, but it really made a difference in my 7800 Ultracart prototype.

As for the desoldering iron that was mentioned, Radio Shack sells a nice model (it used to be $8, and I think it's $13 now) with a built-in rubber bulb. Just remember to keep the tip tinned. It's also a good idea to use a fresh tip when desoldering IC pins (as the tip erodes, it loses vacuum effect, though a file can renew it a bit), but that's not important in this project, where you need it to clean up wild solder blobbing.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

Very cool, thanks for taking the time to write that up and take the pictures. Now all I need are a few Flashback 2 units that I can modify with a cart port, so I can use them to demo homebrew games at shows. I might even make a few of these without an external cart slot so I don't have to worry about people stealing carts (not that I've ever had this happen). :)

..Al

Very cool, thanks for taking the time to write that up and take the pictures.  Now all I need are a few Flashback 2 units that I can modify with a cart port, so I can use them to demo homebrew games at shows.  I might even make a few of these without an external cart slot so I don't have to worry about people stealing carts (not that I've ever had this happen).  :)

It should be possible to fit a Pixels Past board inside that thing. You could hard-wire to it and swap socketed chips on the board, or you might be able to hot-glue a slot connector inside there to plug in a bare board. Hmm, sort of like this: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...ic=69871&st=55# ...only with more hot glue. Mmm, glorious hot glue. Kevtris told me yesterday how he uses hot glue and masking tape to mold custom connectors. I guess it's more fun than epoxy. And doesn't smell as bad.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

I just put together something quick/simple on modding the Flashback 2 with a cartridge connector.

What's the pinout on the soldered in ROM module? Would it be practical to unsolder that, put in a couple of SIP sockets, and then make a plug-in board with a header that could connect to a card slot? If someone wanted to make a mod kit, that would seem an easier way to do it than soldering loose wires to all the miscellaneous solder points.

It should be possible to fit a Pixels Past board inside that thing.  You could hard-wire to it and swap socketed chips on the board, or you might be able to hot-glue a slot connector inside there to plug in a bare board.  Hmm, sort of like this: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...ic=69871&st=55# ...only with more hot glue.  Mmm, glorious hot glue.  Kevtris told me yesterday how he uses hot glue and masking tape to mold  custom connectors.  I guess it's more fun than epoxy.  And doesn't smell as bad.

901810[/snapback]

Thank you Curt, You the man!

Nice link Bruce ;)

I am planning to hard wire in a board with zif socket also experiment with a trap door and use double sided tape for attaching the board to the inside of trap door

post-2304-1122830676_thumb.jpg

Edited by ATARIeric

What's the pinout on the soldered in ROM module? Would it be practical to unsolder that, put in a couple of SIP sockets, and then make a plug-in board with a header that could connect to a card slot? If someone wanted to make a mod kit, that would seem an easier way to do it than soldering loose wires to all the miscellaneous solder points.

901862[/snapback]

I was waiting for someone to notice and make mention of that :-)

I can hear the gears in people's minds turning....

There are several other mod's that can be done and I am going to let some of the truly lunny hackers have fun exploiting things...

Curt

A couple of minor points about your mod pages, Curt:

SPST = Single Pole Single Throw (not Pull)

and:

Why did you instruct to use 2 separate switches, is there any advantage to doing it that way? I would use a single DPDT switch (Double Pole Double Throw, this is the kind with 6 terminals that flips to either of 2 positions), and run the black wire to the middle terminal of one set of 3. The terminal across from the one with the wire going to the original destination of the black wire will have no connection, and the other 2 from that trio will go to the 2 sides of J3, thus:

to Orig. C4 loc. -----O  O (no connection)

Black from IC2 -----O  O----- to J3 side A

to Opp. end of C4 -----O  O----- to J3 side B

It doesn't matter which side of J3 you call "A" or "B".

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I'm hitting Best Buy and Toys R Us today to try and find one! I'm even more excited about modding it with a cart port. This thing is very cool.

904360[/snapback]

Yup...I've already ordered 5 cartridge port & guide sets from best electronics. I'm hoping Thinkgeek will carry the FB2. They're local to me, and independent, so I'd prefer to support them than EBX.

Yup...I've already ordered 5 cartridge port & guide sets from best electronics. I'm hoping Thinkgeek will carry the FB2. They're local to me, and independent, so I'd prefer to support them than EBX.

904373[/snapback]

What are the part #s you ordered from Best Electronics and how much were they? I've got a stash of some OEM parts at home, and don't have a use for much of it, at least any time soon :)

Is everyone who attempts this mod, going to put the cart port into the case? Maybe like the original or otherwise? I was thinking that I might go and buy one, and add a plug-in there on the side or something and run a cable to a project box, and have the cart port in there.

What do yall think, have it kind of like a disk drive attachment?

--James

What are the part #s you ordered from Best Electronics and how much were they?  I've got a stash of some OEM parts at home, and don't have a use for much of it, at least any time soon  :)

904467[/snapback]

No idea what part numbers I ordered. =) All communication was very personalized via e-mail. I said what I wanted, they said what they had and for how much ($10 per set, or $3.50 for the edge connector alone), and that was that. I didn't really need 5, but they wanted me to e-mail them my credit card number (yipe!) if I was ordering less than $50 worth of stuff (at $50, they allow use of PayPal). I suppose I should've looked through the rest of their catalog to see what else I might like instead of extra ports, but it's extremely poorly organized; I couldn't even find these parts in there, which is why I e-mailed them!

Is everyone who attempts this mod, going to put the cart port into the case? Maybe like the original or otherwise? I was thinking that I might go and buy one, and add a plug-in there on the side or something and run a cable to a project box, and have the cart port in there.

What do yall think, have it kind of like a disk drive attachment?

--James

904560[/snapback]

Read Bruce's second post again, especially the part about short wire length.