IGNORED

Building a new XL mobo?

kheller2

Has anyone had the crazy idea to produce a new XL style board for use in say an ATX case or in a 1200XL? I was thinking of a 800XL with ram upgrades, SIO2PC, Rverter, Svid 2.1/3.0 all slammed into a new board that one could just slide into a 1200XL case with a few cutting mods for the PBI etc.. I'd pay $75 for a board where I could supply my chips out of another system.. maybe more..

Thoughts?

Has anyone had the crazy idea to produce a new XL style board for use in say an ATX case or in a 1200XL?  I was thinking of a 800XL with ram upgrades, SIO2PC, Rverter, Svid 2.1/3.0 all slammed into a new board that one could just slide into a 1200XL case with a few cutting mods for the PBI etc..  I'd pay $75 for a board where I could supply my chips out of another system.. maybe more..

Thoughts?

901890[/snapback]

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61801

You can just do these mods to a 1200XL and change out the OS for an 800XL or XE OS and get the same result much, much easier. Not that I've ever found any problem with my 1200XL OS so far anyway, but all the best mods and OS/memory improvements are already available for the 1200XL, so you can acheive the exact results you want without creating or modding another XL MOBO. Or get the 32-in-1 OS and have them all at your finger tips. Basically, the 1200XL MOBO is the perfect board to do modifications too in the first place; it may hav been crippled in certain areas compared to the 800XL, but it has it's advantages too, and when the de-crippling mods are done, along with all the other upgrades you want, it's the best of the best in Atari 8-bits. I've already done an S-video upgrade, PAL ANTIC conversion, fixed all the *minor* bugs like lack of poer to the SIO port, etc, done an XE compatible 1meg upgrade, and next I'll be adding the 32-in1 OS chip and Pokey stereo upgrade, then continue on with some of the mods you've mentioned too. Also and internal IDE hard drive, there's plenty of room the 1200 for it all! The 1200 MOBO is the best one to upgrade!

Edited by Gunstar

I've actually done a lot of 1200XL upgrades.. including the PBI. I even did the Parallel 1050 mod once. I also took a 130XE and put it into a baby AT case with MIO, cart extender mounted to the 3.5" floppy bezel, XF551 to 3.5" upgrade, transkey etc.. That was a fun project.

But, I've recently been wanting to shove a 600XL board inside a 1200XL .. for some sick reason. I need to finish putting the 1450 board inside a 1200XL; I need to cut the rear as I do have the joystick plastics. Unless anyone has a 14xx bottom they want to sell me.

I've also thought of taking a 800XLF (XL style with freddie) and converting it to NTSC. Alas, I don't have one.

Of course all of that gets pushed aside for getting the Warp OS 32 working on the 1450.

And all of that gets pushed aside from the family. =)

It is fun to upgrade systems. It is also enjoyable not having to do the upgrades when you are time constrained and would rather have a snap-tite project instead.. like a new XL mobo. BTW, I think there are ATX style 800XL schematics floating around on the web.

Edited by kheller2

I remember that dataque/chuck steinmann was planning a series of xl/xe systems in pc desktop/tower configs using what was then the new PCI slots and also isa/eisa slots like they are used on a pc and some how adapt the then available pci/isa/eisa cards to the new atari platform under a new modified o/s running on the new '816' processor upgrade that steinmann had originated, he was going to call it the 16xx series (xl and/or xe)

I remember that dataque/chuck steinmann was planning a series of xl/xe systems in pc desktop/tower configs using what was then the new PCI slots and also isa/eisa slots like they are used on a pc and some how adapt the then available pci/isa/eisa cards to the new atari platform under a new modified o/s running on the new '816' processor upgrade that steinmann had originated, he was going to call it the 16xx series (xl and/or xe)

902297[/snapback]

Today I think the closest thing to that would be the CommodoreOne. Unfortunately there is no Atari 8-bit core in development right now.

Jeri was originally planning to make one but I don't think she's into it enough to do it.

I've actually done a lot of 1200XL upgrades.. including the PBI.  I even did the Parallel 1050 mod once.  I also took a 130XE and put it into a baby AT case with MIO, cart extender mounted to the 3.5" floppy bezel, XF551 to 3.5" upgrade, transkey etc..   That was a fun project.

But, I've recently been wanting to shove a 600XL board inside a 1200XL .. for some sick reason.  I need to finish putting the 1450 board inside a 1200XL; I need to cut the rear as I do have the joystick plastics. Unless anyone has a 14xx bottom they want to sell me.

I've also thought of taking a 800XLF (XL style with freddie) and converting it to NTSC.  Alas, I don't have one.

Of course all of that gets pushed aside for getting the Warp OS 32 working on the 1450.

And all of that gets pushed aside from the family. =)

It is fun to upgrade systems.  It is also enjoyable not having to do the upgrades when you are time constrained and would rather have a snap-tite project instead.. like a new XL mobo.  BTW, I think there are ATX style 800XL schematics floating around on the web.

902218[/snapback]

Ok, I understand why you want a new mobo now, I think, you basically want a new mother board to be built with basically all the known upgrades to be accounted for, as either individual circuits on the mobo, or as cards on a new mobo that excepts cards, basically making the 8-bit as easy to throw together as a PC, with everything you ever want in upgrades on it or available for it in easy-to-install, "plug-ins" like a cartridge or at least socketed chips. But as you also said, it's fun to upgrade, and to me, even if such a task of building such a mobo, would be undertaken by someone with lots of time on their hands, it seems to me to take away from the "fun" of upgrading. I like just getting instructions off the net and collecting the components myself and putting together my own circuit board. It's like a kit already in that sense, you just have to order the components seperately. Turning it into something that can be put together in a matter of minutes takes half the fun out of it. I use my upgrades, but not always and to full use, I basically do the upgrades for the fun of doing the upgrades. But good luck on that dream. If it ever comes true, I'll buy one, but I'll have already have the completed monstrousity,done my own hand , in use by long before that. It would be cool though; the new mobo. :cool:

Edited by Gunstar

Unfortunately there is no Atari 8-bit core in development right now.

There's not? Hmmmmm.... thats not what I heard ;-)

904884[/snapback]

I remember talking to Jeri about it at the last CGExpo I was at, which was like 5 years ago.

If there was really interest in doing it, it would be done by now.

If someone makes a core, I'll be pleasantly surprised. It's the big reason I haven't purchased a C=One yet. I'm not enough of a C=64 fan (or CPC and some othe other oddball stuff you can run on it).

Just as Jeri added new video modes to her VIC core, she was going to add more graphics modes and stuff for the Atari 8-bit core. You know, built-in 80 columns, etc...

Glenn,

I wasn't referring to Jeri, her C-One system however is one nice machine.

Curt

Unfortunately there is no Atari 8-bit core in development right now.

There's not? Hmmmmm.... thats not what I heard ;-)

904884[/snapback]

I remember talking to Jeri about it at the last CGExpo I was at, which was like 5 years ago.

If someone makes a core, I'll be pleasantly surprised. It's the big reason I haven't purchased a C=One yet. I'm not enough of a C=64 fan (or CPC and some othe other oddball stuff you can run on it).

Just as Jeri added new video modes to her VIC core, she was going to add more graphics modes and stuff for the Atari 8-bit core. You know, built-in 80 columns, etc...

906571[/snapback]

Nah, progress has been a bit slow with the C-One and I think the fun is just now beginning. It was only two years ago that some boards were produced and it was a long time after that that they were finally done with hardware tweaks and got the boot process sorted. During much of this time Jeri been busy with the DTV also...

If someone makes a core, I'll be pleasantly surprised.  It's the big reason I haven't purchased a C=One yet.  I'm not enough of a C=64 fan (or CPC and some othe other oddball stuff you can run on it).

Just as Jeri added new video modes to her VIC core, she was going to add more graphics modes and stuff for the Atari 8-bit core.  You know, built-in 80 columns, etc...

906571[/snapback]

With the 65816 running at 20MHz and the 16-bit bus to SDRAM there should be plenty of bandwidth for some new ANTIC modes like 320x8bpp or maybe even 640x8bpp, plus 80 column multicolor text and multiple independantly scrolling playfields... at least that is the way I would do it :)

Now, using the 65816 chip and adding some other graphic modes&memory for the new chip and modes, while staying 100% compatible with regular 8-bits I'd definately be interested in.

• 6 years later...

that can go forever

http://spiflash.org/atari/new-mb/

visual aid:

new-mb.png

and updated version

new-mb3.jpg

i was considering using micro-atx form factor, but then again where would i put it? into pc case? what junk would it be then? the only pros i can see with such approach would be lots of expansion slot possibility, but who would make these cards...

anyways, project is at stall, when and if it gets continued - i don't know

i wish i would, but its not going to be cheap, and chances of covering expenses are slim

that can go forever

visual aid:

new-mb.png

and updated version

new-mb3.jpg

i was considering using micro-atx form factor, but then again where would i put it? into pc case? what junk would it be then? the only pros i can see with such approach would be lots of expansion slot possibility, but who would make these cards...

i wish i would, but its not going to be cheap, and chances of covering expenses are slim

Man...... you just never stop! :-D

Quit teasing us............

You can just do these mods to a 1200XL and change out the OS for an 800XL or XE OS and get the same result much, much easier. Not that I've ever found any problem with my 1200XL OS so far anyway, but all the best mods and OS/memory improvements are already available for the 1200XL, so you can acheive the exact results you want without creating or modding another XL MOBO. Or get the 32-in-1 OS and have them all at your finger tips. Basically, the 1200XL MOBO is the perfect board to do modifications too in the first place; it may hav been crippled in certain areas compared to the 800XL, but it has it's advantages too, and when the de-crippling mods are done, along with all the other upgrades you want, it's the best of the best in Atari 8-bits. I've already done an S-video upgrade, PAL ANTIC conversion, fixed all the *minor* bugs like lack of poer to the SIO port, etc, done an XE compatible 1meg upgrade, and next I'll be adding the 32-in1 OS chip and Pokey stereo upgrade, then continue on with some of the mods you've mentioned too. Also and internal IDE hard drive, there's plenty of room the 1200 for it all! The 1200 MOBO is the best one to upgrade!

Gunstar,

Are you running REV 11 or REV 10 of the 1200XL OS? I found that REV 11 is 99% compatible with the 600/800XL OS and the REV 10 has issues. I have never seen a stock 1200XL with REV 11. I'm guessing they fixed the bugs and never made it to production since the production run was only like 6 months.

that can go forever

visual aid:

new-mb.png

and updated version

new-mb3.jpg

Your design looks very good, but it appears you have made no provision for the use of cartridge based software. The IDE Plus 2.0 project also showed that Cartridge + ECI is superior to PBI because they could integrate SDX into the device, which could then control its cartridge port when connected in this manner, while they added an 8-pin header to allow connecting the additional signals which would allow a PBI equipped XL to do the same.

all signals, including rd4 rd5 and s4 s5 are present on this pbi connector, so nothing is left out or deprecated

sdx on ide+ is page d1xx based (yes, its inside pbi address space) so its not quite true that this is required for integrating sdx

and currently sdx is almost like addon to pack of corn-flakes, so not much of a problem anyway (ie this would use similiar mmu to ultimate1mb)