IGNORED

Ooze (My first game)

potatohead

Using Batari Basic no less.

Play it, curse it, enjoy it, whatever.... All feedback welcome.

This is the first solid playable version. Game is complete at this point. Music, moving obstacles planned for next version. Have to take it in steps though. I read the tutorials a while back, but never had the time, until now... The execution is a bit different from the rough concept found there, but ooze is still ooze!

This link is for the bin file. Have a look at the commented source, for this bin file, in the Batari Basic forum if you are interested.

post-4836-1122939118_thumb.pngooze.bin.zip

Edited by potatohead

I've been playing this one on my CC2. This is a great concept for a game and you have done a great job with it so far. It reminds me of the game Ram It.

If you have the space, here are a few suggestions:

--As the game goes on (say every 2000 points increased in multiples of 2... 2000, 4000, 8000, 16000, etc...), speed up the ooze until it gets to the point where it is franticly fast. Right now, I'm able to keep a small box free of ooze, stay in that box and play more or less forever.

--There are 2 binaries of this one so far, one with the moving coin and one with the stationary coin. The moving coin makes it more of a challenge to hit. Have the coin appear then go back and forth a few times, then disappear if it does not get shot.

--As time goes on, maybe the ooze can change colors.

Great game. I'm looking forward to the final version and eventual cart release.

I've been playing this one on my CC2.  This is a great concept for a game and you have done a great job with it so far.  It reminds me of the game Ram It.

If you have the space, here are a few suggestions:

--As the game goes on (say every 2000 points increased in multiples of 2... 2000, 4000, 8000, 16000, etc...), speed up the ooze until it gets to the point where it is franticly fast.  Right now, I'm able to keep a small box free of ooze, stay in that box and play more or less forever.

--There are 2 binaries of this one so far, one with the moving coin and one with the stationary coin.  The moving coin makes it more of a challenge to hit.  Have the coin appear then go back and forth a few times, then disappear if it does not get shot.

--As time goes on, maybe the ooze can change colors.

Great game.  I'm looking forward to the final version and eventual cart release.

906939[/snapback]

All credit for initial game concept goes to Mr Davies in the tutorials thread. With all the ideas suggested so far, I think it will end up pretty good. Have you tried the harder setting? Left difficulty triggers that. (Might be too hard though.)

Thanks for all the great input! I'm glad you guys like it and getting others to talk about their game experiences really helps to make a great game.

right now, I'm doing a rewrite to free up some space for new features. Look for a new version soon.

Yes indeed I agree with sku_u. I played a while today and realized once the ooze hits bottom it doesnt matter. You aren't really penalized. The one I was playing the coin was always on the left side of the screen (Couldn't tell maybe always in the same spot? ) as long as I kept the left side clean I was good. I just let the ooze fill up the right hand side. I'm guessing I was playing the easier game? I know if the coin had ever moved to the right side, I wouldn't be able to get it since the screen was full!!

I also immediately thought of Ram-It , similar play...But I like the Ooooooze! It's a very nice game so far, and quite immpressive if you ask me.

I played it and enjoyed it. Loved the Intro.  :) If you died when the ooze hit the bottom that would make it better. A paddle verision would be fun if your ship fired faster and the slime fell faster from a higher point. The intensity would really ramp up!

908059[/snapback]

I'm not sure I can get the paddle support in there right now. (maybe, maybe) Totally agree with overall game intensity. (It could get insane!) I want to try and do that.

I do have powerups coded, levels and the ooze spreads when it hits the bottom, eventually trapping and killing the player that does not keep the ooze at bay. Once some play balancing and tuning has been done, I'll be releasing the next iteration soon.