IGNORED

Dodge 'Em

Ite

This was one of those games which made an impression on me as a kid.

Before the Dillards department store my mom liked to shop at started displaying the Odyssey 2 running Quest for the Rings, they had an Atari 2600 displaying Dodge 'Em. Sometimes, they would even let me play it!

Back then, I thought it wasn't very good. But it was a videogame, so it made up for it in cool points. :D

Nowadays, though I don't own the cart, I load it up on Atari Anthology on the PS2 and play from time to time. I appreciate the game much more as an adult than as a little kid. I even showed one of my buddies who had never seen the game before. Two player is fun. :)

I love Dodge 'Em but it ends WAY too soon.  Somebody should do a D2 with changing mazes and no topping out.  Maybe on later levels there's multiple bad guys.

903726[/snapback]

I agree, but on game 3, with 2 player simultaneous action (one player is the regular car and one is the crash car, then it alternates), it totally rocks and I've never had a topping out problem.

You will automatically lose a car every 5 screens IIRC...so the effect is just as if you crashed your car. The game then loops back to the first round for the next car.

Patching over this limitation doesn't sound too challenging, but alternate mazes would be (since you would need to come up with a layout, rewrite the kernal a bit to create that pattern...and then redefine the car "rules" to operate within that layout). Coding a game from scratch to take advantage of more generic data would be easier (and yield a greater number of alternate maze screens).

• 1 month later...
You guys must be super good to even get to the last round. Maybe if I practice more.

904796[/snapback]

It's not so difficult really...just spiral in toward the center and spiral back out...all at top speed except slowing down momentarily as the car(s) try to hit you in the center.

This quickie gets rid of the automatic car removal...but it wrecks havok with the score (the game was designed so that the total # of lives must NOT be more than 1 when you reach 1000 pts. due to ram-sharing..that's how come it was written that way).

Dodge__em_endless_.zip

Dodge Em was a perfect arcade translatation for it even looked the exact same as its arcade counterpart. They had one in the local arcade I used to frequent and it was virtually ignored for I was the only one who ever played it. The forerunner to Pacman and yet few realised it.

Dodge Em was a perfect arcade translatation for it even looked the exact same as its arcade counterpart.  They had one in the local arcade I used to frequent and it was virtually ignored for I was the only one who ever played it.  The forerunner to Pacman and yet few realised it.

937510[/snapback]

Indeed, the only real novelty in Pacman is the energizers (though in fairness that's a pretty big novelty). Any games prior to Pac Man that allowed the player to turn the table on otherwise-deadly enemies? The Donkey Kong 'hammer' is the same sort of thing, but I'm pretty certain that came later.

Some of you talk about how easy it is. I like it because I find it quite challenging. At first, I wasn't able to complete the first screen for, oh, the first 98 attempts. It is a VERY satisfying accomplishment to finally get there. After all, isn't that what makes these games so much fun? You keep playing until you figure it out - kinda like life (uh-oh - to philosphical - dial it down man!)

The forerunner to Pacman and yet few realised it.

True. But although Dodge em/ Head on may have came out slightly earlier, I think Space Chaser is more of a closer ancestor to Pacman since it had that free movement and you were being chased.

But then again I guess most everything evolves from something else. :)

wSpace_Chaser.png