IGNORED

Glowing review from Consummer Reports!

FireTiger

shame that in the same year, atari was going to be snapped up by someone that wasn't going to do anything positive with atari in the slightest and in the years since, let alone have even the remotest interest in atari, Atari was simply a convenient commercial vehicle for tramiel to use to rub irving gould and CBM's nose in it

Who's to say that if Atari had remained under warners that Warners last MD/CEO James Morgan could've turned around atari's fortunes, like he was begining to (and remember we still had the amiga) and that Atari would still be with us today and more importantly in the form that we once knew it as, and not peddling what can only be described as 'commercial prostitution' by allowing Atari's name to be associated with products available for non atari platforms and formats

And for the benefit to AMERICAN CONSUMERS and those members of AA that class themsleves as AMERICANS that ATARI would still be a Wholy owned Independent American company, and not as it is now, partly owned by the FRENCH with the AMERICAN part being inactive as a company... or is it true from what i understand that AMERICANS don't care about supporting their own kind

I recall that CR published a number of articles in which they reviewed Atari machines very favourably. My Dad actually bought our 800 in '83 because CR favoured it over its competition (C64, an unknown quantity at the time, the TI -- which even then was going nowhere -- and a Panasonic model). :D

(yeah bad Fire Tiger dblpost = bad :ponder: , oh and ignore the crew marks in the corrner the bunnies got hungry :sad:, OH BTW thes are scanned in grey scale as there really is not any photographic color, just color for the text boxes...not really exciting.)

post-4852-1123176988_thumb.jpg

post-4852-1123177012_thumb.jpg

post-4852-1123177036_thumb.jpg

post-4852-1123177090_thumb.jpg

post-4852-1123177171_thumb.jpg

post-4852-1123177204_thumb.jpg

Edited by FireTiger

It's the title of the article that strikes me as to how things have changed. You don't see anything these days being described as a 'Home Computer'.

I say re-release the old machines and let the fun back in. Or would anyone like to tackle the problem of creating such a machine at a reasonable price?

The closest I've come across in recent years is a Vtech educational computer my niece has. Unlike other educomps this is a fully-fledged home computer with casing that feels even cheaper than the XE range. Almost certainly an 8-bit or 16-bit (sister won't let me anywhere near it to open it up :twisted: ).

thanks. Win XP and my HP psc 750 do a real good job... :roll:

I had a scorates educatonal computer that was cool, had a paint program and everything...must be about the same age and the 8 bit line.

Edited by FireTiger

It's the title of the article that strikes me as to how things have changed. You don't see anything these days being described as a 'Home Computer'.

I say re-release the old machines and let the fun back in. Or would anyone like to tackle the problem of creating such a machine at a reasonable price?

The closest I've come across in recent years is a Vtech educational computer my niece has. Unlike other educomps this is a fully-fledged home computer with casing that feels even cheaper than the XE range. Almost certainly an 8-bit or 16-bit (sister won't let me anywhere near it to open it up :twisted: ).

904563[/snapback]

There is something nice about being able to switch your computer on, and *knowing* that everything will be the same as the last time you switched it on.

Booting the OS from HD (which can be modified by anything you happen to run) makes life a little less predictable. It was kind of nice when you could power down and know that everything would be OK again when you powered back up.

<python> And you tell the youth of today that...and they won't believe you </python>