IGNORED

Go Fish! 1K

vdub_bobby

Tough! But I like that. :thumbsup:

Maybe you could do something with the sky. It is looking so empty now. But then, with just 4 bytes...

908445[/snapback]

Yeah, the waves were next on my list, but I figured I would need at least 20-30 bytes to get them in. Sun would take about 20 bytes, I think.

Hmmm...I could use the brk vector and get another 2 bytes. And maybe there is some more optimizing I could do to claim ~15 bytes.

I'll take another sweep through and see what I can dig up.

Cool. I got 624 points after a few minutes of play. For a while I wondered if the fish actually grew, but saw that it did after 200 pts.

Are you planning to enter the 1K and 4K contests?

908473[/snapback]

Yeah. Gonna enter Go Fish! 1K in the 1K category, probably enter M-4 in the 4K category.

M-4 is kinda stuck in the middle right now, though - I couldn't get it down to 1K but the last version I posted is about 3K. I think it is a little skimpy for a 4K game, but I'm not sure what more to add.

Anyway, what do you know: I found 16 more free bytes! I think I'll add the sun now :)

EDIT: well, it'll take more than 20 to add the sun. See if I can find 11 more bytes...:ponder:

Edited by vdub_bobby

Ok, wow I love this version.

I have played a flash version quite a bit and you did a great job making it fun and challenging.

I don't remember the 4k version being this fun, but that's probably because I had only tried alpha versions.

Nice, nice job. I can't believe you did this so well in just 1k!?! I hope you win the compo with this entry. I would bet on you.

Ok, wow I love this version.

I have played a flash version quite a bit and you did a great job making it fun and challenging.

I don't remember the 4k version being this fun, but that's probably because I had only tried alpha versions.

Nice, nice job. I can't believe you did this so well in just 1k!?! I hope you win the compo with this entry. I would bet on you.

908523[/snapback]

Thanks. :)

Hey, speaking of winning the competition, are you entering anything, Thomas?

Nope, I don't think I could top last year. :)

908546[/snapback]

Maybe not. :ponder: Well, gives the rest of us a chance! :D

Also, just for you, Thomas: I got the sun in.

One free byte...for now. :ponder:

EDIT: modified the sun so it wasn't so stretchy.

gofish1k.bin

post-6060-1123710965_thumb.png

Edited by vdub_bobby

Nope, I don't think I could top last year. :)

908546[/snapback]

Maybe not. :ponder: Well, gives the rest of us a chance! :D

Also, just for you, Thomas: I got the sun in.

One free byte...for now. :ponder:

EDIT: modified the sun so it wasn't so stretchy.

908552[/snapback]

Lots of fun for a 1k game! BTW, are you using Thomas's combined score digits trick? If you aren't, you should - it will almost certainly save you some space.

Got some good play in...

The only thing I really wish is that for as much as I get eaten, that the sound effect when your fish is gobbled up was a little more dramatic than the normal eating sound.

I also think it would be cool if you could do an "activision" type sunset in the sky.

Lastly, it would be kinda cool if your fish could jump out of the water...

These are just 'oh cool' features though. Think you nailed on the difficulty and the speed of those damn fish!

EDIT: best score 1299 - got to be the biggest fish. Is there anything after this or is it just avoid the sharks for as long as possible at this point?

Edited by retrocon

Lots of fun for a 1k game!  BTW, are you using Thomas's combined score digits trick?  If you aren't, you should - it will almost certainly save you some space.

I am pretty sure he does.

But he could also use my score scaling code (see my minigames), which allows e.g. 9 pixel high digits with just 5 bytes of data.

Well, in that version you die with one hit too.

As feature-filled as Go Fish is, I like the movement in the 1K version a lot better.

910905[/snapback]

I agree. The physics are spot on in the 1k version, and it makes the gameplay better. Will there be a deluxe version of Go Fish! released after the competition with this in mind?

910905[/snapback]

Except in the two-player version...which is pretty fun! I do agree it would be nice to lose a size when you die, though.

910941[/snapback]

No, I really like it the way it is, even though it is tough. It is after all a fish eat fish world and fishes don't get a second chance.

As feature-filled as Go Fish is, I like the movement in the 1K version a lot better.

910905[/snapback]

Movement of the player-controlled fish, or the other fish?

Anyway, I keep saying that I'm done, but I keep finding more bytes...

But this is probably it. There are zero bytes left. I might find a few more, I suppose. But for now:

gofish1k.bin