IGNORED

Need Help copying XEXs on PCs HD into an atr image

8BIT 1337

(Formerly "Looking for some MyDos Help")

I'm actually running it (4.53/4) in Atari800WinPLus 4.0. What I want to do is create some disk images (atrs) with a bunch of xex files on them (and an autorun of course), so that I can create actual disks to send to a friend.

What I can't seem to do is configure the HD setting properly so that I can copy what I've downloaded and is sitting on my HD into an already created atr image. Some help would be appreciated. Here's what I *am* doing:

Hitting "O" to change density.

Using drive 4

N, Y, Y, 65535 to the next four questions.

Now I see "4H" listed along with the other disks I've got attached.

I then hit "C" to start the copy.

"H4:acedrib.xex,d2:"

I'm getting error 165, which is "Invalid File name"

Is there something I'm missing? The file is in the proper directory. I've enabled "H" and selected the appropriate directory in the emulator. I swear I've done this before and what I'm doing different this time escapes me.

Thanks in advance!

(BTW: I tried to find an online version of the MyDos manual, and the only thing I found *seems* to be incomplete, as it seems to start at section IV).

Edited by Nature Boy

• 2 weeks later...
Well,

MyDOS lists any Harddisk drive with "H" (f.e. 4H if drive 4 is a harddisk). But, when using such a drive you still have to use it as a diskdrive and thus use D: (D1: - D8:) as the drive specifier, otherwiese you will get the mentioned Error...

Andreas Magenheimer

916575[/snapback]

I've actually found this not to be the case, at least as far as copying from the atr image onto the HD. If I use "D2:*.*,H4:" it works just fine.

I just can't seem to get stuff to go the other way: from the HD into an atr image. I need to do this for a friend (so that I can make physical diskette images to send to him) and I'm at a loss as to how I'm going to do it.

Any further help would be appreciated!

(I thought maybe the number of files on the HD would be a problem, but there are only 62 so I assume that can't be it).

OK, here are the steps you need to follow...

1. Create a disk using Atari800Win PLus.

2. Load Speed Start Initializer and insert the disk you just created.

3. Choose the "Init Disk" option, your headline (this will appear on top of the menu, very handy for theme-based disks for example) and validate your choice.

4. Load Imageman or ATRUTIL on your PC and choose the Atari executables you want on your disk.

5. Lock the files with your favorite DOS.

6. Load Speed Start Initializer again and insert the disk with the files.

7. Pick the "Name Input" option. For each file, you'll be asked what you want it to be called on the menu.

8. Presto!

This menu system eats up a fair number of blocks and doesn't use DOS but the autorunning menus really look great!

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Speed_Start_Initializer.zip

Maybe try this: http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?a...e=post&id=37480 for fast creating atr disk images ;)

923709[/snapback]

That program looks really similar to the "MakeATR" program I actually ended up using. Are they related (was the English one made off of this one, which (I'm guessing) is Polish based on the readme file?

If anyone else is looking to do the same thing what was recommended above worked absolutely perfectly. That menu program is something else (I'm tempted to reorganize all of my childhood stuff using it :) ). I was using SD disks (to ensure compatibility with my friends drive, which isn't an Atari drive) and made a bunch of directories to represent each disk. After figuring out I could get around 84.5 kb per disk, I just kept arranging files until all disks were maxed out.

Thanks a *tonne* for the information. It saved me a boatload of time!

That program looks really similar to the "MakeATR" program I actually ended up using.  Are they related (was the English one made off of this one, which (I'm guessing) is Polish based on the readme file?

Becouse it is "MakeAtr". Here: http://serious-dial.atari.pl/makeATR/ you have home page of this program (polish only - use any translator to convert for english ;) )