IGNORED

Moderately weighted sixer?

dr_bob

Hi there

been lurking here for a few days and only got around to posting now!

Finally managed to get hold of a VCS despite wanting one since I was about five years of age .

I managed to pick one up on Ebay for around €30 (well about ten euro was for the system and the rest was shipping from the UK since I'm based in Ireland)along with Combat,Night driver and Breakout(no controllers but I've a few 9 pin quickshots/cruisers that'll do for combat until I get a cx40/paddles) .

Its a 6 switch woody ,PAL (coming from the UK),and since its a/made in Hong kong (not sunnydale), and b/ has an angular front , I dont reckon its one of the heavy sixer models.

But ..

It doesnt have an a/b channel switch underneath , the hole/markings are there , but theres no switch underneath , just what looks like part of the RF cable?

Also theres no FCC regulations etc on the label , just CX 2600 U , then (from memory )- Atari -Hong kong and a few patent/serial numbers ?(if its unusual I'll take a photo and post here)

Plus the underside of it has an extra 2 screws and washers underneath near the centre?

Anyway I'm happy enough just to have the console! but It'd be nice to know if it was a '78 or a '77 :)

by the way am I the only Irishman here ? Be nice to know if there was more retro-nuts from my part of the world around!

Edited by dr_bob

@RRAD500: The orange trim doesn't mean anything, unless you have a 4-switcher with yellow instead of orange. Then it would probably be a promotional version, but I don't know if they made those in PAL.

@dr_bob: Your description sounds like a light sixer. I don't know whether lack of a channel switch is unusual for PAL light sixers. If it were a U.S. NTSC console, I would suspect a frankenstein job - I think only early heavy sixers had no channel switch (internally, heavy and light sixer circuit boards and shielding look about the same and are interchangeable). Seeing the RF cable pass by the channel switch opening is nothing to worry about, but if it bothers you, you can open the case and reroute it properly. To open the case, you don't need to remove the 2 centre screws with the washers - they hold the heavy shield in place and only need to come out if you need to remove that (such as to get at the mainboard.) Also, the FCC stuff is only for electronic items sold in the U.S. The "U" in your "CX 2600 U" model number is for Europe (including U.K.)

Edited by A.J. Franzman

@RRAD500: The orange trim doesn't mean anything, unless you have a 4-switcher with yellow instead of orange. Then it would probably be a promotional version, but I don't know if they made those in PAL.

@dr_bob: Your description sounds like a light sixer. I don't know whether lack of a channel switch is unusual for PAL light sixers. If it were a U.S. NTSC console, I would suspect a frankenstein job - I think only early heavy sixers had no channel switch (internally, heavy and light sixer circuit boards and shielding look about the same and are interchangeable). Seeing the RF cable pass by the channel switch opening is nothing to worry about, but if it bothers you, you can open the case and reroute it properly. To open the case, you don't need to remove the 2 centre screws with the washers - they hold the heavy shield in place and only need to come out if you need to remove that (such as to get at the mainboard.) Also, the FCC stuff is only for electronic items sold in the U.S. The "U" in your "CX 2600 U" model number is for Europe (including U.K.)

910789[/snapback]

cheers for the info :)