IGNORED

Atari 2600 emulator on PSP

Lunchbox11000

Does anyone know if there is a good working emulator for the 2600 for the PSP? Or a Activision or Atari compilation coming out in the near future for PSP?

912989[/snapback]

I can't say much about it right now, but there might be a surprise for you in a month or so :)

Does anyone know if there is a good working emulator for the 2600 for the PSP? Or a Activision or Atari compilation coming out in the near future for PSP?

912989[/snapback]

I can't say much about it right now, but there might be a surprise for you in a month or so :)

916407[/snapback]

OK, looks like I can say a bit more. I just received a port of Stella for the PSP, and while I can't test it, the author says it works fine. So unless anything major pops up, it looks like Stella 2.0 will have a PSP port :)

912989[/snapback]

916407[/snapback]

OK, looks like I can say a bit more. I just received a port of Stella for the PSP, and while I can't test it, the author says it works fine. So unless anything major pops up, it looks like Stella 2.0 will have a PSP port :)

917037[/snapback]

ACK! I started a new topic just about this. Sorry.

However, I have tested this and it works great.

Still needs work on the d-pad controls, but analog works great. V-Sync needs fixing and speed throttling needs work, too. Overall, 80% of games are very very playable.

912989[/snapback]

916407[/snapback]

917037[/snapback]

ACK! I started a new topic just about this. Sorry.

However, I have tested this and it works great.

Still needs work on the d-pad controls, but analog works great. V-Sync needs fixing and speed throttling needs work, too. Overall, 80% of games are very very playable.

918303[/snapback]

The version you tested is not the version I'll be including in 2.0. It may in fact be illegal (in the sense of the GPL), since there's no source available.

OK, looks like I can say a bit more.  I just received a port of Stella for the PSP, and while I can't test it, the author says it works fine.  So unless anything major pops up, it looks like Stella 2.0 will have a PSP port :)

917037[/snapback]

Commercial or homebrew?

Watching the scene with mild interest in case they hack the later firmware versions ...

OK, looks like I can say a bit more.  I just received a port of Stella for the PSP, and while I can't test it, the author says it works fine.  So unless anything major pops up, it looks like Stella 2.0 will have a PSP port :)

917037[/snapback]

Commercial or homebrew?

Watching the scene with mild interest in case they hack the later firmware versions ...

918369[/snapback]

The code will be fully GPL, as is all code in Stella. I'm currently in the process of committing the patch to CVS, and there should be a 2.0 release at the same as for the major platforms.

I just didn't want to say anything until I knew the author was on board for sure.

StellaPSP just came out. I have included a .zip. The contents of the zip file must be put in the GAMES directory of your PSP memory card. For game roms, you must go into the memory stick's root directory and make a directory named Stella. Then go in that directory and make a directory named Roms...this is where the roms will go. And most importantly...all Atari 2600 game roms you wish to use with StellaPSP must have the file extension as .a26 (roms with .bin will NOT be recognized). The easiest way to rename files from .bin to .a26 is to go into your command prompt (aka the DOS emulator) and type in "rename *.bin *.a26".

StellaPSP_01.zip

StellaPSP just came out. I have included a .zip.

This is what I was talking about earlier in the thread. This port is based on 1.4.2 and is not the same as the one currently in CVS. As such, many of the problems you just mentioned don't apply to the current code.

I just wish the original author had contacted me before releasing this, as all it's doing is creating confusion :(

This is what I was talking about earlier in the thread. This port is based on 1.4.2 and is not the same as the one currently in CVS. As such, many of the problems you just mentioned don't apply to the current code.

I just wish the original author had contacted me before releasing this, as all it's doing is creating confusion :(

919054[/snapback]

Hm. Please help me understand this. There's going to be a second stella emulator for psp? Sorry, I'm slow :roll:

919054[/snapback]

Hm. Please help me understand this. There's going to be a second stella emulator for psp? Sorry, I'm slow :roll:

919192[/snapback]

No, you're not slow; it's just that this is really confusing :(

The author of StellaPSP 0.1 based the port on the 1.4.2 codebase. That code had several slowdowns, no rom launcher, and a very minimal internal GUI. So they worked very hard hard to add those features, and released the port.

Meanwhile, another person sent me a patch for PSP support for the current CVS code (what will become Stella 2.0 in about a month or so). The current CVS version already had the slowdowns fixed, gained a ROM launcher, and has a very extensive internal GUI.

So my main problem is that the first author reimplemented features we already have, and people are reporting bugs in it that don't exist in the current codebase anymore!

If the first author had contacted me (or anyone on the Stella team) directly, we would have asked them to work with the second author, and greatly reduce the work they've done reimplementing stuff. As well, the first author wants to add features to the 1.4.2 branch that are already slated to be included in the 2.0 branch anyway.

So long story short, there will definitely be one official PSP port of Stella, and one unofficial one. The one currently in circulation is the unofficial one.

Also, I have no problem with people hacking at Stella, as long as they release the source (which the first author has done). It just seems to be a great waste of time to me ??

919054[/snapback]

919192[/snapback]

No, you're not slow; it's just that this is really confusing :(

The author of StellaPSP 0.1 based the port on the 1.4.2 codebase. That code had several slowdowns, no rom launcher, and a very minimal internal GUI. So they worked very hard hard to add those features, and released the port.

Meanwhile, another person sent me a patch for PSP support for the current CVS code (what will become Stella 2.0 in about a month or so). The current CVS version already had the slowdowns fixed, gained a ROM launcher, and has a very extensive internal GUI.

So my main problem is that the first author reimplemented features we already have, and people are reporting bugs in it that don't exist in the current codebase anymore!

If the first author had contacted me (or anyone on the Stella team) directly, we would have asked them to work with the second author, and greatly reduce the work they've done reimplementing stuff. As well, the first author wants to add features to the 1.4.2 branch that are already slated to be included in the 2.0 branch anyway.

So long story short, there will definitely be one official PSP port of Stella, and one unofficial one. The one currently in circulation is the unofficial one.

Also, I have no problem with people hacking at Stella, as long as they release the source (which the first author has done). It just seems to be a great waste of time to me ??

919207[/snapback]

I noticed some not-so-good things about the first StellaPSP (the one I attached to my previous message) :

poor video quality when you play PAL roms

didn't find any paddle support

Hopefully the next StellaPSP based on Stella 2.0 will have paddle support.

I noticed some not-so-good things about the first StellaPSP (the one I attached to my previous message) :

poor video quality when you play PAL roms

didn't find any paddle support

Hopefully the next StellaPSP based on Stella 2.0 will have paddle support.

Paddle support will require mouse emulation by the joystick/gamepad. It's not in Stella yet, but should be before the final release. As for the PAL rom issue, I'll have to pass that one to the PSP maintainer. It's kind of difficult to test when you don't have the machine.

Maybe someone can donate one to me :) Just kidding of course.

Also, I have no problem with people hacking at Stella, as long as they release the source (which the first author has done).  It just seems to be a great waste of time to me ??

919207[/snapback]

Maybe a waste of time for the people involved, but in the meantime I'm in emu heaven. Cant wait till the official release so I dont have to worry about all the quirks though.

It's really nice to have full speed 2600 emulation on a handheld.

Silly question for stephana... But how hard would it be to modify stella so it can display documentation that is in cuttle cart form?

The reason being that cuttle cart doc form is simple and with the doc conversion project it seems it'd make a great fit for psp on the go to be able to view them. :D

Silly question for stephana...  But how hard would it be to modify stella so it can display documentation that is in cuttle cart form?

The reason being that cuttle cart doc form is simple and with the doc conversion project it seems it'd make a great fit for psp on the go to be able to view them.  :D

921291[/snapback]

Never heard of this 'cuttle cart' format, but assuming it's just straight ASCII text it wouldn't be too hard to add an in-game menu/listbox containing this info. Problem is, we're scrambling to get the next release done, so it would have wait until after the 2.0 release.

Silly question for stephana...  But how hard would it be to modify stella so it can display documentation that is in cuttle cart form?

The reason being that cuttle cart doc form is simple and with the doc conversion project it seems it'd make a great fit for psp on the go to be able to view them.  :D

921291[/snapback]

Never heard of this 'cuttle cart' format, but assuming it's just straight ASCII text it wouldn't be too hard to add an in-game menu/listbox containing this info. Problem is, we're scrambling to get the next release done, so it would have wait until after the 2.0 release.

921421[/snapback]

As far as I know it is pretty much straight ASCII but it was intended for display from an Atari 7800 (thru the cuttle cart). So it is obviously designed with small size in minde.

• 1 month later...

It seems that development on the 2.0 port of Stella for PSP has stalled somewhat. We're due for a general 2.0 release next week, but the PSP port won't be ready. I've started another thread in 2600->Emulation asking for Paypal contributions, so I can get a PSP and help the other guys finish the PSP port.

I don't normally ask for contributions, and in fact have never done so since I started working on Stella in 2001. But unless I can get my hands on a PSP, I fear the PSP port may never be finished. And that would be a shame, since 2.0 brings a lot of goodies with it.

• 2 weeks later...