IGNORED

(uk) Retro Gamer magazine bankrupt?

thx1138

This just sucks. When I was at the bookstore yesterday picking up the latest copy that's come over to this side of the pond, I was thinking about Games™ Magazine, since I hadn't seen an issue of that one in several months, and thinking that all the magazines I like get cancelled. Now, it seems like another one of my favorites has gotten the axe. Damn. I just hope that they can manage to pull themselves out of the nosedive the company's in.

"Bugger" is the only word I can think of right now. I knew Live Publishing were having problems but not of this magnitude.

And GamesTM (the next best thing) doesn't make it up here, so I'm now retro publication-less.

Like I said... bugger.

:sad:

I loved that magazine, but they really needed a US and/or international version, and if it comes back, they need to make the disc optional. That damn DVD raised the price to nearly $20 USD and usually had a lot of worthless stuff on it. The magazine was awesome though!

I always liked the fact that it was Eurocentric. It gave the magazine more personality. And I know about classic computers in America already, so it's nice to hear how the '80s computer scene was going in Ol' Blighty.

Since reading about it in a blurb in RG, I'd love to get a Sinclair C5 electric trike/car. I remember reading about it back in the day, and reading about it in RG peaked my interest in it. The thing's so retro '80s looking. It looks like a prop out of an old episode of Blake's 7. Which is the reason I'd love one. Too bad there's absolutely no way I could ever afford one of the things.

I'm guessing that we here in the US will never get to see the last issue. If the publisher's dead, they won't be exporting issues overseas. We'll never get to see the Lynx/32X issue.  :sad:

919261[/snapback]

I bought the Lynx/32X issue here in Calgary about a week ago. It's definitely available in North America.

I still haven't picked up the latest issue with Sega related stuff. That's on my to-do list for this coming week, providing the bookstore doesn't run out of copies.

I'm gonna miss RG though. Would be nice to see someone pick up the reins and keep it going somehow.

Sure learned a lot of new "british-ism's" in this thread. Not to be a turd in the punchbowl, but I have picked up a few issues here and there. Some were good, Others I felt were lacking. Content was about what you can find on the web. At $140 for 6 or 7 issues per year, I felt it was not worth the cost. The DVD's didn't have much content (in my opinion) that made them worth the extra price. I have seen many small-circulation magazines die in similar manner. First they get fewer pages, then they go bi-monthly, then they lose the "All color", then some even go to a smaller page format, (like an 11x14 folded in half) I also suspected the mag was too expensive to produce. All those thick glossy pages cost $$$. I wouldn't mind seeing something with more B&W pages for the text and some photos. Save the color for the cover and a few features. The Euro-centric theme was nice, but probably didn't appeal to many over here. Even I go tired of reading about the spectrum and BBC micro.

• 2 weeks later...