IGNORED

Atari 2600 Jr. must have been released already in 1983 in Eu

pansen

Hello,

all websites I checked say the 2600 Jr. was designed in 1983 with the new cx24 controllers (the ones from the 7800) but not released before 1986 and then with the classic cx40 joysticks.

This is not really true, because I have a 2600 Jr. that I got for Christmas 1983, with cx24 controllers, bought here in Germany. So maybe it was not released in the US before 86 but here it was. At that time, European prices for electronics were much higher than in the US so that might have been the reason to put it out here first? Or maybe they thought the 2600 Jr. was more "suitable" for the Euro market, for whatever reason..

Anyhow, I'm surprised I found no information about this fact anywhere.

Well I am born in 77 and got the console when I was six years old.. do the math =).

I still have it but I can't find the power supply.. don't know if an "Übercollector" would have kept one of those anyway since it was prolly the normal version sold here at that time. I almost gave mine away once.

I don't know. I have as child only a 6 switch console. Don't know if the Heavy Sixer or the Second release. But we have sell it and now I have it again.

But I don't know when which console release here in germany. But I think others maybe know. I was to young. Born in 1978.

Interesting story! As far as I can remember Atari sold only 6 and 4 switch models in Holland around '83 and '84. I got my first VCS in '84 and it was the black four switch. I do not recall (I was 14 at the time) any Juniors in stores at that time. But that may have been different in Germany. What year is on the copyright notice of your Jr?

Cheers,

Marco

The sticker on the bottom says:

MANUFACTURED FOR ATARI, INC. BY ATARI

IRELAND, LTD., IN IRELAND.

MODEL NO. CX-2600

COVERED BY US PATENT NUMBER 4,112,422

OTHER PATENTS,AND PATENTS PENDING.

S.N. 284 AI 0013051

Part of the copyright notice on the back of the manual, which contains instructions in English, German, French, Italian, Spanish and Dutch:

[...]

© 1983 ATARI, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

[...]

C024690-001 REV. A

The console came with the Centipede catridge, according to my mother. My parents surely didn't expect what kind of long lasting influence this present would have on me

I also got my "short rainbow" 2600 Jr. with the two proline joysticks and Centipede for Christmas in 1984, so that system definately was around at that time. A friend of my had gotten his VCS a couple of month before for his birthday, and that still was a 4-switch with Pac Man, so I'm not sure how common the Jr was here in Germany back then.

p.s. I just saw, that you are from Hamburg, where Warner-Atari had their German headquarters. I live in a small town near Hamburg too, so that might be the reason why we had access to the Jr consoles in 1983/84.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: Eckhard Stolberg ]

Eckhard, I wondered what you meant with "short rainbow"..just read (on Atari-History.com) that the ones with the small 2" rainbow badge on top of the aluminium label are the original ones produced in 83 by Warner before the Tramiels "took over". Mine is one of those too.. so they must have been around at least between the winters of '83 and '84. If that was the case in and around Hamburg only could maybe be found out by checking all those VCS offers on Ebay.de but I really have no time for this =).

I just hope a few webmasters read this forum so some of these pages that say the 2600Jr. was not released at all before '86 are corrected =)

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: pansen ]