IGNORED

Jitter

seemo

Hi Everybody

Here's Jitter, the follow-up to Mantra.

Basically it's similar to its predecessor : there's a matrix of symbols, and you have to move the joystick or press fire, according to the current symbol (colored with red).

If you do the right action, you'll skip to the next symbol in the matrix, until the matrix is over or an empty cell is encountered : when this happens, you get a score based on the length of the sequence you completed.

(for more details, see attached instructions)

So, what's new ?

- now the player is in control of the game : as soon as he/she moves the joystick,

the next cell of the sequence will become the current one

- players are rewarded with a 100 points bonus if they move with a steady rhythm

(if you are doing it right you'll see colored bands on top/bottom edges of the matrix, and when you complete the sequence you'll hear a different sound)

- joystick has to be distinctly tapped once for each symbol

- reorganized play 'styles'

- 'invasion' (easy) symbols start from top left, and fill the matrix progressively

as the player fails to complete the sequences.

- 'fragment' (harder) is the same as Mantra's 'classic' and places sequences randomly in the matrix

- 'so far' (very hard) is the same as Mantra's 'so far' and places sequences randomly like 'fragment', but hides the symbols following the current one for the current sequence

- there's a noticeable pause between sequences

- audio has been rearranged

- demo and practice options have been removed

What hasn't changed ?

- graphics

- symbol status (blocked/unblocked)

Enjoy the Jitter !

Simone

P.S: Jitter would not have been possible without many opinions/suggestions I got

after posting Mantra here. Thank You ! :)

jitter.zip

This is easier than Mantra, but seems to get tough pretty quick too. :)

I just played the default variation so far, but I'll go back and check the others. This is one of those games that reminds me that I have very little eye-hand coordination. :lol:

[edit]

The panic music makes me fail... repeatedly. :D I just played in fragment mode and I like it even better than Invasion.

Another variation you might think about (a third game?) would be to have some sort of drum beat instead of the current audio that indicates when you should hit the direction for maximum points. Just like in Jitter, the speed could gradually increase and the game would get much harder as you endure.

Very nice, indeed. Thanks for sharing your game! :)

Edited by mojofltr

mojofltr :

Another variation you might think about (a third game?) would be

I HATE you ! :D

BTW, you never know... ;)

Thanks for sharing your game!

Thank to you, for sharing your impressions :)

vdub_bobby :

maybe too easy

did you unlock the difficulty switches ? :)

anyway, i can make things a little harder, but my aim was to produce a pleasant gaming experience (and after 8500 points I think it gets quite challenging)

Maybe you found jitter too easy because you got used to mantra difficulty... anyway, 'So far' should be harder/more fun.

Some of the color schemes make it very hard to see the symbols

Could you tell me the levels whose schemes aren't good ?

Maybe I'll rework colors for both mantra and jitter once I have a way to get them to a cartridge and work on PAL colors too...

Simone

Played this for like 2 solid hours last night, and it's rare for me to play a single VCS game that long. Highly addictive and great game.

Don't think I'm that good at it, though, my high score on Invasion was only 633. . .

The arrows (particularly the left and right ones) are kinda off-looking. . . Would the arrow designs from the unfinished DiscoTech work in this game?

Thanks Cootster, I'm happy you liked jitter. :)

About the graphics, I know they are 'blocky'... it's because I used playfield graphics.

I downloaded DiscoTech from an old post : the arrows are drawn using player graphics, which have higher definition than playfield graphics.

Maybe one day I will rework the kernel, to draw the symbols with player graphics... who knows ? :)

Simone

I downloaded DiscoTech from an old post : the arrows are drawn using player graphics, which have higher definition than playfield graphics.

928435[/snapback]

I'm curious if you still have the link to the thread where DiscoTech is located? I did a search and only came up with two threads that mention the demo... and I don't see it mentioned in the "In Development" section. :(

Thanks Cootster, I'm happy you liked jitter.  :)

About the graphics, I know they are 'blocky'... it's because I used playfield graphics.

Maybe one day I will rework the kernel, to draw the symbols with player graphics... who knows ?  :)

Simone

928435[/snapback]

Perhaps just shortening the long stripe on the left and right arrows to make it match the one next to it and look more like the up and down arrows would work...

• 1 month later...

I like the new graphics! 8) :thumbsup:

[edit]

I got my butt stomped on level 8, so I set the game on the "fragment" variation -level 3. I think my score was 4319!... Much better than I was doing before. The new graphics are a lot less confusing on my little brain. :)

One thing that I found interesting is that the music speeds up to panicky speeds, but then starts back slowly again, which adds a false "safe" feeling, while the game is still racing! Too addictive! :D

Edited by mojofltr