IGNORED

Best home version of Donkey Kong

A few weekends ago I had the opportunity to play the arcade version of Donkey Kong and I was totally impressed! I've never realized the gulf that existed between arcade versions and home conversions of classic games. I particularly liked the in-between screen animations, like Donkey Kong snatching up the girl and taking her up the ladder. Also, the graphics were a lot sharper. I didn't make it to the infamous 4th level, and as far as I know no home version contains it, but that being said, which is the best home version of Donkey Kong? I've played it on a few platforms. I've played the 2600 and Intellivision versions, the 2600 version being the much better of the pair although at 2 levels, it leaves a lot to be desired. I've also played the 7800 and Colecovision versions, and I like that the 7800 version has the ending sequence when Donkey Kong falls down. The CV version is also fun, but I hate the fact that it doesn't at least have the ending.

Yeah, the 8-bit/5200 version is the best. The 7800 version is also good, minus the sound. The NES version would be damn near perfet if it had the 4th level...

921469[/snapback]

The anger I had upon discovering that was missing when I was 14 just can't be described. I was ready to firebomb Nintendo's offices.

I believe the C-64 version is the best. It includes the cement/pie factory level, and it best captures the behavior of the flaming barrels. It also has (almost) all of the music and animation from the arcade game, something other versions often skimped on. Really about the only thing you can hold against it is they reuse the flaming barrel graphics for the levels that should have fire critters.

The NES and 7800 versions look nice, and in fact I've often had to wonder just how much was in common between them. They're both missing the fourth level, and they both have the same incorrectly placed hammer on the first level!

The ColecoVision version looks great for its time, but not only is it missing the end-of-level animations and the fourth level, it puts Donkey Kong on the wrong side of the screen in the first level!

I haven't played the Atari 8bit version enough to know how it compares to the C-64 version, but I figure at best it can be as good. It certainly can't be better.

Edited by skunkworx

the Atari 8bit version enough to know how it compares to the C-64 version, but I figure at best it can be as good.  It certainly can't be better.

921500[/snapback]

why not?

The C-64 version is just that good, at least in my humble opinion. So many little details were perfectly captured from the arcade, and the game also gives a good presentation of the C-64's sprite abilities.

I'll fiddle with the Atari 8bit version tonight and come back with a more well-educated opinion. I'm not betting it will change much, though. :)

The TI-99/4A version is also a great port and includes all four levels.

921514[/snapback]

It looks good but has serious AI/playability issues that need tweaking. On the first screen Mario is too large in relation to all the other graphics. If you jump when there is a barrel on the girder above you, your head goes through the girder and touches it and you die. The hammer doesn't protect you on any level. If a barrel hits you when your hammer is in the up position, you die. If a barrel comes down on your head while you have the hammer you die. On the rivets screen, often the AI for the fireballs just makes them quickly pace back and forth on one side of the screen, which they never move from. If you try to pass them you will die so you end up just running out of time.

I still think it's funny how a lot of you call the pie level, "The 4th stage" :P But of course that's expected because that what the U.S. got. To the rest of us though that pie factory was merely the super easy 2nd stage. ;) I actually prefer the U.S. version these days but the only flaw in it was you never got to see the easy level versions of either the elevator & pie factory stages. By the time you got there.. the difficulty's already ramped up :D

Anyway, the best classic home version of course was the Atari 8bit version. However it does have it's flaws... like there's too many fireballs that come out in the pie factory (which is supposed to ONLY have one fireball corresponding to the level (i.e. level 1 = 1 fireball. 2=2 fireballs, etc.) But I think the first time you see the pie factory in the 8bit version.. it tosses out FIVE fireballs or something like that. :x

Probably the next best home port is the unlockable version version in N64's Donkey Kong Country. However.. #1. it's a pain to get to; and #2. Once you get to it, you only get a 4-stage version. So you have to do even more superfluous stuff to unlock the full game and have it be accessible via the startup menu. See.. PAIN IN THE ASS :lol:

Aside from that.. that's it as far as I know. I'll have to try the C64 version :D I'm sure there are probably other notable ports for other classic computers of the time.. hmmmmm :ponder:

I still think it's funny how a lot of you call the pie level, "The 4th stage" :P

Aside from that.. that's it as far as I know. I'll have to try the C64 version :D  I'm sure there are probably other notable ports for other classic computers of the time.. hmmmmm :ponder:

921563[/snapback]

It's the cement factory, not pies. There's two C-64 versions.

It's the cement factory, not pies. There's two C-64 versions.

2. Pie factory, Cement Factory, Conveyer Belt Stage

4. Rivets stage, "Ziggurat" stage (as it was called in one strategy guide I had)

3. Elevator level, Bouncy Springs Level

1. Ramps stage, Ladders stage.

All the same thing. ;) It was called many things by kids depending on their arcade culture. You guys know what I'm talking about :)

Yeah, the 8-bit/5200 version is the best. The 7800 version is also good, minus the sound. The NES version would be damn near perfet if it had the 4th level...

921469[/snapback]

What he said!

However, the 8-bit is very easy to play. Mario moves faster that he should.

I had a C64 in the day, but never had DK for it. Gotta get me a copy.

Anyone here played the bootleg "Crazy Kong" ? It runs in MAME. Retard-o sound effects. I actually played this in an arcade as a kid.

Edited by Zonie

The NES and 7800 versions look nice, and in fact I've often had to wonder just how much was in common between them.  They're both missing the fourth level, and they both have the same incorrectly placed hammer on the first level!

I think (but am not 100% sure) that the 7800 versions of DK, DK Jr, and Mario Bros were all coded by Nintendo. All the sprite graphics seem to have been lifted directly from the NES versions, but since the NES has a higher horizontal resolution than the 7800, everything appears stretched out.

I know it's not the true arcade DK, but GameBoy DK is one fine version not to be left out, although it would've been really cool if there was an option to have the levels repeat after #4 for that true arcade DK experience.

- Jason

That's something that still annoys me - Donkey Kong, as well as Zaxxon - two of my favorite classic arcade games - no home system ever came close to emulating either game. With DK, the c64 version is too slow (and wide) and the Atari 8-bit is too fast. With Zaxxon, no system even comes close to emulating the space screen with its flashing background stars/galaxies, super tight control, and smooth moving enemy fighters. BUT, I still play all the home versions from time to time :P

Okay, I've refreshed my memory with the Atari 8bit version. Am I the only one bothered by Donkey Kong being on the wrong side of the screen? That also means the first level is too small!

It may be a little on the slow side, like the previous poster said, but I still have to give the blue ribbon to the C-64 version. Better graphics, better sound, and an all-around better capturing of the arcade game.

the nes and the colecovision also the gameboy version has all four levels in it and then some

922083[/snapback]

WRONG!

The NES version DOES NOT have the cement factory level. Never has, never will.

The Gameboy version does not even ATTEMPT to port the arcade game, rapidly collapses into a puzzle game, and should not even be considered for the purpose of this thread, which seeks accurate ports.

I can't speak for the Coleco version, as I know nothing about it aside from an enhanced version was released for the computer upgrade.

Edit: The Colecovision has been dealt with in this thread. No pie level.

Edited by JB