IGNORED

NES Emulator

DominiRican05

There is a lot of them for Windows, your only limit is how powerful your computer actually is. Just do a google search for NES Emulators and click on the link that brings you to the ones at Zophar.net they have the most and unlike any other site you won't have to worry about any hidden spyware from that site.

and it is SERIOUSLY worth picking up a dreamcast for emulation. nesterDC is amazing and the dreamcast controllers really work well for NES games.

my dreamcast is an enormous time suck these days, but on the upside i am almost through all the castlevania games. until i start the ones on super nintendo. (dreamsnes looks okay, too).

i am kicking myself for waiting so long to pick up a dreamcast.

Back before the dreamcast I used nesticle. there is probably a better one by now...

929836[/snapback]

Thank you for the great lists everyone. I look forward to researching and hopefully playing some of these tonight. The NES was my first system and I have many fond memories of it, so it'll be nice to relive some.

I had never considered the Dreamcast but being that it has so many NES abilities, I'll keep it on my radar. ;)

Thank you for the great lists everyone.  I look forward to researching and hopefully playing some of these tonight.  The NES was my first system and I have many fond memories of it, so it'll be nice to relive some. 

I had never considered the Dreamcast but being that it has so many NES abilities, I'll keep it on my radar.  ;)

930392[/snapback]

the DC is great for 5200/800 emulation, as well as NES. I just burned a Colecovision disk today, so I'm curious to see how well it runs on the DC.

I've also been thinking of modding an nes pad to work with the DC. You use the DC controller as a pass-through so you can still use it for menu navigation.

What's a good NES emulator for Windows?  Thanks!  :)

For windows.. I like NNesterJ. I prefer it over FCE Ultra (which is also good) but NNesterj has more intuitive FDS support I think.

And here.. i'll even give you a direct link ;) http://www.emulation9.com/nnnesterj/files/nnnesterJe023.zip

Or if that link doesn't work directly, then here http://www.emulation9.com/nnnesterj/

I would only consider three emulators,

FCE Ultra is the easiest to use and has excellent menu options for graphics and sound.

VirtuaNES is best for Famicom games, supports a wide variety of Famicom peripherals, allows you to construct ROM lists and has excellent FDS support.

Nintendulator is by far the most accurate NES emulator, playing virtually every single game perfectly. Its is geared towards development and research, but can still be made to function well enough to play games. Requires a reasonably fast processor.

• 1 month later...

Everyone has their opinions, but I am also AMAZED that Nestopia doesn't get more credit!

It is back in active development and has everything one might need. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if it's beatable in the compatability stakes too.

Regards

*edited typo (I hate them grrr!)

Edited by midget35

Everyone has there opinions, but I am also AMAZED that Nestopia doesn't get more credit!

It is back in active development and has everything one might need. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if it's beatable in the compatability stakes too.

Regards

952897[/snapback]

Agreed. Nestopia is the best one, IMHO. Its compatibility is flawless. It has a host of options, including graphical filters, resolutions, sound settings, and supports every NES peripheral.

Most importantly, any game you throw at it plays and displays as it would on a *real* NES because it is a cycle exact emulator not scanline based like many other NES emulator. Nintendulator is also extemely accurate, but far less user friendly with far less features to sound, graphical, and input settings. FCEU(ltra) is also a very good emulator in accuracy. However, it is not as good as Nintendulator and falls even further short of Nestopia.

The other emulators mention: (N)NesterJ, VirtuaNES (I used this one prior to Nestopia being available), JNES, LoopyNES, and others are very good emulators that run better on slower system, and are good choices for a system that cannot handle the more accurate Nestopia. However, they are not cycle exact emulators and games which require exact timing functions to both gameplay and/or graphical functions will either crash or have problems.

I am not insulting the other emulators, and any of the NES emulators are amazing and far beyond anything I could do. Nonetheless, if you want accuracy, as well as all the 'bells and whistles', then the choice is Nestopia. There is not anything else like it right now. As stated, you do need a "beefier" machine to play it, compared to other less accurate NES emulators.

Here's the home page:

Nestopia Homepage

Regards,

Trebor

Edited by Trebor

The NES emu scene is pretty competitive. Everyone has got a favorite. I have heard similar praises for other NES emulators. It seems to vary around cliques (and time). I remember NESticle being highly regarded in the 90's. Then RockNES was pretty popular at the emu websites I used to visit. For a while Famtasia was my emu of choice even though there were better alternatives out there. VirtuaNES can give Nestopia a run for its money.

I don't think the accuracy issue matters when it comes to NES emulators. There are plenty of good NES emulators out there and even the "less accurate" ones do a good enough job of playing the games most people are interested in playing. Besides most people can't tell the difference anyway. With so many good NES emulators to choose, accuracy is a moot point IMO.

Edited by Dones

Hi there!

Maybe if you are a programmer. For the rest of the world it's what matters is if it plays what you want and you personally like.

Exactly. The more accurate the emulation is the more games it'll play. And so the higher the chances are that it'll play the games you want to play.

Greetings,

Manuel

There is one thing for sure... the NES is the most emulated console out there. It's like some form of it or another is playable on most any modern device we got.

I mean it's to the point I wouldn't be surprised if someone made an NES emulator on a toster one of these days :lol:

Amazing isn't it? Kind of shows the impact the console had.

Exactly. The more accurate the emulation is the more games it'll play. And so the higher the chances are that it'll play the games you want to play.

Greetings,

Manuel

That's part of what I mean. There are so many good NES emulators out there that talking about accuracy is like splitting hairs. Nestopia, VirtuaNES, RockNES, etc. are all very accurate. Majority of people can't tell the difference anyway (I sure can't).

Edited by Dones

Hi there!

That's part of what I mean. There are so many good NES emulators out there that talking about accuracy is like splitting hairs. Nestopia, VirtuaNES, RockNES, etc. are all very accurate. Majority of people can't tell the difference anyway (I sure can't).

Just download all three and see for yourself which'll play Sonson properly ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

The most important aspect of an emulator is accuracy of emulation and game compatibility. That way you get exactly the same gaming experience that you would playing the actual game on a real NES. The audio and video will be the same as a real NES, and you can play any game you want to play. Hands down, the most accurate NES emulator is Nintendulator. However, it has very high system requirements because it emulates the NES at the circuit-level.

http://qmt.ath.cx/~nes/nintendulator/

I am hoping that it gets ported to the Xbox 360, just as FCE Ultra was ported to the original Xbox.