IGNORED

Saturn Xband/Netlink question

Mendon

I came across this version of Virtua Fighter Remix for the Saturn. I've never seen a Saturn game like this before with logo's on the case and disk for the Sega Saturn Network and Xband. The game won't run on any of my import Saturns; it says "Loading" then kicks back to the Saturn options screen. I even tried putting a working Netlink modem in my Saturn to see if by chance one had to be present for the game to load. But nada..... just kicks me back to the Saturn option screen.

I'm not knowledgable at all about Xband and only played a few times some of the U.S. Netlink games (Bomberman, Duke Nukem, etc). Anyone at all familiar with the Sega Saturn Network? Was a special modem used for these games that was different than a Netlink? Were there many games released that were Network/Xband only versions?

Any info anyone has would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Mendon

post-3103-1127144242_thumb.jpg

post-3103-1127144255_thumb.jpg

Odd question here, but do you have trouble with any carts in the Saturn? The only thing I can see is that it does need a Netlink installed to play, but yours didn't register when you plugged it in.

Also, is the system's backup battery still working? Mine died on me and the Saturn worked, but it was quirky 'til I got the battery replaced.

My own Saturn did that a lot when I tried to use the Netlink, and again when I switched back to the Backup RAM cart.

I suspect also that an imported Saturn would need an imported Netlink to go with it.

Bomberman was only available in the Netlink version, I believe. I had that game and it played anytime I wanted with or without the NetLink.

Have you got a CD to test the Netlink? I don't have my 'link anymore (not reliable enough to keep), but I've got the American CD for it. In fact, I never was able to get the 'link online without the browser CD.

Also, to answer another question, there were only five or six US Saturn games that used the Netlink at all. I'm not sure about imports.

Odd question here, but do you have trouble with any carts in the Saturn?  The only thing I can see is that it does need a Netlink installed to play, but yours didn't register when you plugged it in.

Also, is the system's backup battery still working?  Mine died on me and the Saturn worked, but it was quirky 'til I got the battery replaced.

My own Saturn did that a lot when I tried to use the Netlink, and again when I switched back to the Backup RAM cart.

I suspect also that an imported Saturn would need an imported Netlink to go with it.

Bomberman was only available in the Netlink version, I believe.  I had that game and it played anytime I wanted with or without the NetLink.

Have you got a CD to test the Netlink?  I don't have my 'link anymore (not reliable enough to keep), but I've got the American CD for it.  In fact, I never was able to get the 'link online without the browser CD.

Also, to answer another question, there were only five or six US Saturn games that used the Netlink at all.  I'm not sure about imports.

934648[/snapback]

I haven't had any problems with cartridges on any of my Saturns. Whether I've used a NetLink or Action Replay or 4meg cart or Save cart, they've all worked without problems. And I change the system batteries about once a year so that is working okay.

I don't know if there is a difference between an Xband modem and a NetLink modem but if there is, then I'm beginning to think that this Virtua Fighter Remix version I have might be a Xband only game. The game may be looking for Xband modem and when it doesn't find one, it kicks back to the system settings screen. Nowhere on the case or disk or instruction book does it have NetLink symbol on it... just the Xband and SegaSaturnNetwork logo's.

I've never owned or used a Xband modem and I have no idea if they are different from a NetLink modem. I was hoping someone here might know the answer and also if there were other releases of Xband/SegaSaturnNetwork games other than Virtua Fighter Remix.

Mendon

That's probably it, then.

Both of us have seen the Netlink games, and the symbol they carry.

The only other possibility, probably not what the game's looking for, though, is that it uses the Video CD device. I don't know anything more about that besides what I learned from JB and a FAQ at gamefaqs.com.

I imagine the froums are pretty much alive over there on all the Virtua Fighter games--you might give gamefaqs a shot if you haven't already.

Originally posted at gamefaqs.com by noobsa44

From what I have been told (thanks to DashK), the Netlink in Japan is actually called "Seganet."

The modem is a XBAND device (the US version is too), which is

famous for its SNES and Genny modem games. It should also be pointed out that

there is a card "holder," which I now know (thanks to Joshua) is for a

smartcards with prepaid credits. These smartcards or "Saturn media cards" cost

2000 yen and 1 game credit was 20 yen, which means that you could have about

100 games per card (thanks to Joshua again!). Finally, through Joshua's

pictures, I believe I can confirm that the Saturn has a Floppy drive and

printer cable converter which maybe used with the Netlink. Other that this, my

knowledge of the Japanese Netlink (Seganet) is extremly limited, however, I do

have links to several pictures of the Japanese Netlinks**.

Sounds like the game's waiting for a smartcard with money on it. That's a new one on me. His FAQ also makes it seem like the Seganet and the NetLink are, indeed, different devices, although both are Xband modems. I think the Seganet/smartcard is what you are looking for.

Here's a link to their Saturn Hardware FAQ page:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/saturn/game/916393.html

Edited by shadow460

THANK YOU very very much for all the info you passed on, Shadow!! Very much appreciated!

After looking through some of the FAQ's you provided, I seem to recall reading someplace that there was no free NetLink - SegaNet service in Japan. If so, then I'm convinced that this Virtua Fighter Remix version is looking for a Japanese Xband/SegaNet modem with a smart card device in it that indicates some form of payment was made. Since it can't detect one, its kicking out of the game and back to the system settings menu. I wonder how many other Japanese games were released like this, in that you couldn't not play them offline at all?

Do you happen to know how the U.S. Xband service worked? Did you just set up an account and they billed you monthly like your normal cable or telephone bill or did you pay an hourly fee? I never got into Xband at all and am now curious as to how it worked. I'll have to do some reading on GameFAQ's and see what they have to say.

Thanks very much again!!

Mendon

I removed the Backup RAM cart and replaced it with the NetLink. Since my Saturn was damaged by a GameShark, this was a pain!

Anyway, to use the Net Link, I just plugged it in to the cart slot, then inserted the NetLink CD. I never played games on it, but I did surf the Web.

Upon loading, the Saturn asked me to set up a Concentric account. There's an option on that screen to set your own ISP information and have it saved to the system memory. Next time you load up, it takes you to the Planet Web browser, no matter which option you chose in the setup.

Concentric at the time billed only to credit cards. ioNET (now a part of Earthlink) sent a monthly bill that could be paid in person, by check, or by credit card.

All this was separate from the SBC phone bill, and a local access number was used.

concentric allowed unlimited internet service, and I believe the price was US$24.95.

Other ISP's had both hourly and monthly plans.

Saturn Bomberman had no mention of additional fees for online play besides the ISP and phone company charges.

If you want to look through any NetLink games, I think the easiest one to find would be Bomberman (which is pretty addictive), or Virtual On: Operation Moongate (a rarity 5 game in the NetLink version). I think six were released, but those are the only ones I can remeber the names of.

While the games are probably still playable over the Netlink, browsing the Web would be nearly impossible without a CD containing an updated web browser. The PlanetWeb browser is equal to IE 3.0.

What equipment did you get with the US Netlink? You should have gotten the NetLink CD, a looooooooooonnnnng phone wire, and the Netlink cart (there's no card reader or slot of any type). You can also get a mouse that plugs directly in to the controller port, and a PS/2 keyboard to Saturn controller converter (highly recommended).

I've got all the U.S. NetLink games including the rare Daytona U.S.A. CCE NetLink edition. Daytona came with two manuals.. the regular manual (with full color cover) and a supplement manual that had a black & white cover.

I was amazed when I first got the NetLink that a video game system could browse the Internet. Though I had a computer for doing so, I spent many hours playing around with the NetLink browser and exploring the web. I really enjoyed getting on PlanetWeb and exchanging save game files with others. Because of these files I saw things in games that I might not otherwise have seen because I'm not the worlds best gamer.

You had to have an ISP to browse the web but didn't need one for any of the NetLink games. You simply inserted the disk and either typed in the phone number of the Saturn you wished to play against or set your Saturn to answer any incoming phone calls. Only charge you aquired was if you made a long distance call.

Again, I was amazed at how good the gaming was over standard phone lines. I don't think I ever got disconnected during gameplay and the lag was almost non-existant. Played a lot of Bomberman, Duke, and Virtua On back when NetLink play was popular.

I have 3 boxed NetLink modems, two have never been out of the box. I also have two keyboards and two mice. Now I'd like to find a NetLink Bundle Set (that came with the Saturn, keyboard, NetLink, 3 games, etc) complete with the box and everything as its the one set I don't have in my Saturn collection.

Mendon

My favorite Netlink compatible game was Virtual On. I have the standard edition, though, but I've played VS on that and in the arcade. Oddly, the standard version is almost as rare as the Netlink version. I have the controller for it, too--and it's BIG.

Bomberman's a good title. Me and some electrician buddies of mine spent many an hour playing it wishing we either had phone access or a multitap.

BTW, the Saturn was the first thing I got online with. About a month later, I spent $1000 on my first computer so I could play Red Alert.

Somwhere a proto exists for that game on the Saturn. It was canned due to the lack of interest in the console, I think.

If I ever get hold of that proto, though, I'll be a happy person!

My favorite Netlink compatible game was Virtual On.  I have the standard edition, though, but I've played VS on that and in the arcade.  Oddly, the standard version is almost as rare as the Netlink version.  I have the controller for it, too--and it's BIG.

936254[/snapback]

Duke and Bomberman were my favorites but I played & enjoyed Virtual On alot even though I got my butt handed to me on more than several occasions. One of these days I'll get the Twin Stick; up to this point I've never had a big desire to pay over $50 for a controller plus high shipping (since a lot of them I see on eBay are coming from Japan) just to play one game. But maybe someday I'll get lucky and find one at a reasonable price (and maybe the adapter also so that I can use it on the DC version) and see how good VO can really be.

Mendon

My Twin Stick is from Japan. I bought it new for $50 even. I thought there were US versions of it made--evidently not, as I was told they came from overseas.

I had never gotten anything personal through the Navy's supply dept while I was a sailor--my mail came through the Post Office.

The Twin Stick was shipped in via the supply dept. Shipping was $8 and change direct from Sega Japan.

I guess part of what helps it's compatibility is that the right stick is just mapped to the button controls found on any Saturn pad. A=left, B=down, C=right, I think Y=up, X=left stick booster, Z=right stick booster, and the two triggers are the L and R buttons. The left stick is mapped to the D-pad.

I really want to get that adaptor you just mentioned. Oratorio Tangram is unplayable with 5the stock DC controller.

I hope you find a good deal on a stick--I'd guess it's a rarity 7 controller since they were never marketed in the States outside of mail order.

Even the NiGHTS pad is something like rarity 4 now.

Fair warning: Virtual On is a little harder with the stick. To simulate the stick on a Saturn, choose option 5 for the controller layout.