IGNORED

SOLD: Gemini VG-170 Joystick (2600 compatible)

A.J. Franzman

I just repaired a Gemini VG-170 joystick that (apart from being a bit dusty) is now in excellent, almost near-mint condition. The orange trim paint on this example shows no wear that I can see. With a good cleaning and a generous dose of Armor All (;)), it could pass for mint.

Please note, this is NOT the same as the combo stick/paddle controls that come with the Coleco Gemini consoles, nor is it the same as the "Gemstick" as shown on a Google cached page from 8bitclassics.com! I can't find any online references to this stick, so it's probably not very common.

This is the first time I've held one of these, and for those who don't know, this stick is a blatant copy of the Atari CX-40 stick. Other than saying "GEMINI" and "VG-170" on the top, and "MADE IN TAIWAN R.O.C." on the bottom, and having very slight cosmetic differences in the various parts castings, all parts are interchangeable with those of the CX-40. The contact domes in the Gemini sticks have much stronger "click" tactile feedback action than any version of the CX-40, so this stick would be great for those who like that sort of thing.

I replaced the core of this stick with a used but serviceable one from a later version of the CX-40 (which fits and works perfectly), so now it's very sturdy. The original core appeared to be very brittle as a manufacturing defect - all 4 quadrants of the outer pressure ring were broken completely off the handle part of the core.

Several rounds of Missile Command later, I've decided that it should go to a worthy home, in spite of my love for it - it has better feel IMO than any CX-40 I've ever used.

Interested parties please make offers to trade or buy by PM. See link in my sig for my wants. If buying: cash, USPS money orders, and PayPal instant transfers to my personal account accepted. (Sorry, that means NO credit- or debit-card funded payments!) Shipping will be actual cost by buyer's choice of USPS or UPS methods. If trading: we each pay our own shipping, you ship first.

[EDIT: sold!]

Edited by A.J. Franzman

• 8 years later...