IGNORED

TOTAL Surprise for Jaguar Fans

Songbird

September 22, 2005

For immediate release:

ROCHESTER, MN -- Songbird announced today the immediate availability of Total Carnage for the Atari Jaguar. Total Carnage is the classic arcade game originally ported by Hand Made Software and licensed from long-time game publisher Midway.

In Total Carnage, one or two players assume the roles of Captain Carnage or Major Mayhem in a tongue-in-cheek frantic assault on the dastardly forces of General Ahkboob. There is an unending -- often overwhelming -- number of enemies pursuing the heroes at all times, but thankfully there are also many powerups, bombs, and even missile strikes to assist players in their quest. Player strive to rescue civilians and collect valuable items such as keys, dogtags, and more.

Songbird founder Carl Forhan spoke enthusiastically about the release, saying, "This is a great port of a classic arcade game which I know Jaguar fans have been anticipating for many years. I'm thrilled to finally be able to publish this never-before-seen final release candidate version of the game." Total Carnage is now available for sale through the Songbird website. Orders are expected to begin shipping next week.

Songbird Productions is a premier developer and publisher for the Atari Lynx and Jaguar. To keep up to date with the latest news at Songbird Productions, be sure to visit the company web site at http://songbird-productions.com . Total Carnage © 1991 Midway Amusement Games, LLC. All rights reserved. This message may be reprinted in its entirety.

Wow, that's pretty sweet.  Carl, have you had the chance to compare it to the SNES version?  It'd be nice to hear a little more specifics, but from the screenshots it looks pretty good.

936466[/snapback]

Bones, you can compare for yourself, Here's a link to a 50mb gameplay video of Total Carnage. (click on the screenshot to download)

Hi Carl!

Is this really a new version (different to the ones shown in the past) ?

How complete is it?

Just out of curiosity, how did you get the chance to publish the game after such a long time of trying? Must be an interesting story.

Anyway this is great news! Keep up the good work. :-)

Regards, Lars.

Hi Carl!

Is this really a new version (different to the ones shown in the past) ?

How complete is it?

Just out of curiosity, how did you get the chance to publish the game after such a long time of trying? Must be an interesting story.

Anyway this is great news! Keep up the good work. :-)

Regards, Lars.

936483[/snapback]

Yeah same questions here, plus is it still controlled over the keypad or is it different in this version. Thanks for all Carl, guess you'll have a lot to do in the next couple of days hehe.

Peter

To quickly answer some questions, this the 2-player version of the game but it's more complete than what other collectors have seen/played; that's why I am calling this the "final release candidate". There is no "eval" message, you can only enter the Options screen before you start a game, and there is no 1-button level skip trick. There are two ways to control your gun, either use the fire buttons or use the keypad. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages, and a ProController is very useful in this game!

The game includes a professionally printed box, white insert, 16-page glossy manual, and full-color label on the cartridge.

I have personally played almost every level of the game, and have (using the warp codes) reached the end. There are no graphical glitches, the game is rock-solid, and no crashes in any situation as far as I know. If you achieve a high score, your score and initials are saved to EEPROM. And did I mention it's very addictive to play? ;)

All in all, this is one of the most complete "lost" Jaguar games I've ever seen. Thanks everybody for your support, it means a lot to me!

YES!!!  Finally I can get my hands on this game.  I've wanted to play it so badly ever since I learned a prototype of it existed.  I just put in my order (picking up Loopz while I was at it).  I can't wait!  Time to dust off the old Jag again...

Tempest

936513[/snapback]

Hehe, yeah I just ordered mine too. And I am with you tempest. Almost thought....well if I am to order something from the states anyway.......but I had to hold myself back. Guess around 90$ should be enough for me.....for now :-)

Peter

WOO-HOO! THANK YOU CARL!!!!!

And whoever it was at Midway that approved this!

936564[/snapback]

Yeah really that was a game I would not have thougt to get an approval.I would really like to know what you told them Carl. "Please take my money for uhm....200 fans":-)

Guess it doesn't work without licensing fees, but I wonder how talk is held when the subject is the Jag which Midway for sure forgot about. Or is this version from the desk of one of the midway guys?

More questions. One should write a book about all those stories...

Peter