1. 1. what do you want the FB3 to be?

• I want it to be a 2600/7800/5200 with 50+ games
    • I want it to be a recreation of an atari 800/400 working compy

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Available off the shelf in Oz.

And in the EU also.

--

Karri

PS. Actually I believe that the idea to keep the FB3 as a premodded FB2 or even a premodded FB2 Portable plus some legal compilation carts is the way to go as DigitalQuirk put it a few posts ago.

My brother bought me a Flashback 2 this past holiday season. Because of this, I created this account.

Welcome to the forums! You've posted some great ideas that the Atari executives should think about. In case you haven't read it, see the thread Question - FB2 Portable? However, a new full-sized 2600 with the ability to play carts would be an awesome product, IMHO. Damn the "dirty/old carts won't work liabilities" excuse!

What does Sony do when someone calls about a scratched up PS1 disc circa 1995 that won't play on the PS3?

Edited by mos6507

In comparison, the 6507 was somewhere in the 80,000-100,000 gate range (source: Black Art of Video Game Console Design)

It must be a typo there. I don't know the exact number, but it should be much smaller.

I don't know about the 6502 but I was quoted at around 5,000 gates for the TIA chip. GTIA must be more than 5,000, plus ANTIC, POKEY, and the PIA.

I want the FB3 to be......................................................................................................................................................................

AVAILABLE :D

In comparison, the 6507 was somewhere in the 80,000-100,000 gate range (source: Black Art of Video Game Console Design)

It must be a typo there. I don't know the exact number, but it should be much smaller.

I don't know about the 6502 but I was quoted at around 5,000 gates for the TIA chip. GTIA must be more than 5,000, plus ANTIC, POKEY, and the PIA.

5,000+ for each of the custom chips sounds reasonable. 80,000+ for the 6507 (or 6502) does not. My guess is that there is an extra zero in the above reference.

• 4 weeks later...

A

The 5200/800 platform is a far easier platform to develop on, has an ENORMOUS software catalog - far overshadowing anything remotely close to the 2600 offerings and would open the doors to a much bigger, broader and comprehensive platform for gaming, education, system languages, communications, networking and so much more...

FB3 will best benefit everyone if based on the A8/52 platform specifically will be easier to create and build.

Curt

I'm a little late here.....but this sounds great. I've never owned anything Atari passed the 2600 so it would be exciting to sample stuff from the 5200/800 era.

Edited by Recycled

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like the Flashback 3 to be mini 7800 though I think an Atari 800 computer with built in LCD screen and educational software would be more successful. Have you seen how much those kiddy computers cost! There's big money to be made teaching kids to add up and spell!

i actually think this is a good idea.

all that leapfrog crap sells like crazy

While not able to go into details, some behind the scene's issues arose with Mammoth and DC Studio's (who is the owner of the DTV chips) and I'm not sure if any further DTV based products will be produced.

Curt

On a side note, maybe the FB3 doesn't need the screen, but a built-in keyboard might be pretty cool. :D

I'm with you on this one. Heck, I think it's a natural progression from the existing PnP systems. Not to mention that it's how we used the real "computers" back in the day.

The perfect system to lead the charge is the C64DTV. The hardware is already done. All it needs is for Mammoth to pack it into a keyboard. Voila! Instant computer for kids and enthusiasts.

It's too bad that Jeri and Robin haven't been able to find funding to do this. :sad:

There is an extra zero, it is not that big.

Curt

5,000+ for each of the custom chips sounds reasonable. 80,000+ for the 6507 (or 6502) does not. My guess is that there is an extra zero in the above reference.

While not able to go into details, some behind the scene's issues arose with Mammoth and DC Studio's (who is the owner of the DTV chips) and I'm not sure if any further DTV based products will be produced.

Curt

BOOOOOO!!!

(sorry, just going on my life-progression from Atari 2600 - C64 - Amiga here) :)

I'd like the Flashback 3 to be mini 7800 though I think an Atari 800 computer with built in LCD screen and educational software would be more successful. Have you seen how much those kiddy computers cost! There's big money to be made teaching kids to add up and spell!

i actually think this is a good idea.

all that leapfrog crap sells like crazy

...and I don't think any of them have the quality that Atari 800 software is supposed to have. Atari would get a new generation of 'kiddy' customers every year, forever. It would be a great long term investment for them.

Edited by MRB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The more time passes on the FB3 the more I think this is the best way to go. Vtech has a product called "Nitro Vision TV Learning Station". I think this would be a good way to go for atari. Look at it this way, they already have the learning software in the form of those "AtariLab" programs. I don't think any other kids computer on the market today has anything like the AtariLab stuff. Also, look at the price of the Vtech learning Station. ($60.00) I think that a lot of people would be willing to pay that for a good atari kids computer system. Especially if it has all the functionally of a full blow atari 8-bit (maybe even 16-bit) computer. :lust:

By the way, I know this is pie in the sky type stuff, but it is good to ponder sometimes.

Edited by pboland

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I want it to be an exact replica of the 2600 hardware wise. Sell it with built in Combat game and a coupon to buy 3 others for free. Each new game can be purchased and downloaded from Atari. I would like to have the convenience of having all the games I want in a single unit. I also want direct connection to a computer monitor without having to go through a PC.

• 4 weeks later...

The ultimate Atari Flashback "Khansol":

* Futuristic-looking-updated-retro style consisting of shiny metal, woodgrain, and a small 1"x1" LCD screen that would have backlighting and would show a kick-ass Atari logo on boot but could be hacked to show whatever you want. During some games backlighting and display may be used for effect. It should be totally pimped!

* It would run a customized version of Linux using emulators for Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, XL, and at the forefront- Atari Arcade games. More emulators could be bought or hacked on to emulate other systems (Apple II, Commodore, etc.) or could just be hacked on.

* 2 wireless (RF) multiaction controllers (stick or 4 button directional with spinner wheel compatible as a single 2600 tennis paddle or 2600 race paddle). Has menu button on controller (hidden and hard to hit by accident) that pauses game and allows you to reset the console, change difficulty, select, change emulator and game, and other options.

* Support for up to four wireless controllers.

* Wireless networking to play head to head on any game (including 2600 games) across the internet and to download more games with atari points (yes this is stealing the Wii idea, but I don't think it has a patent)

Optional accessories:

* USB-to-wireless adapter (compatible with most PC joysticks- would just have a female USB jack on a tiny cube that could communicate with the console. stella adaptors would be used with these for old style emulation.)

* Handlebars to use for stunt cycle, paperboy, etc. Maybe could lock in place for stunt cycle.

* Trackball (or could use existing usb models)

* Keyboard (just regular keyboard with USB-to-wireless adapter)

It could be nicknamed the Atari Khansol or "Khan" for short, with "KHAN" obviously standing for "Killer Home Asskicking Ninja". You could license some clips from Star Trek II of Captain Kirk talking about how awesomely bad Khan is. Like Khan, it is hyperintelligent, and it will have little bugs come out of it, get into your ears, and control your mind until your mom or wife blasts you with a laser set on stun. Would be an awesome commercial you could post on the net to drum up interest.

Edited by Fort Apocalypse