IGNORED

Total Carnage Impressions

Cobra Kai

Ok, when you get your copy, why don't you let us know in this thread just what your opinion is of the game, now that its finally out.

I got mine today :D , so I'll gladly start off. Everything with the packaging came out fantastic, the box, label and instructions are perfect. The artwork for this release is very colorful this time around, and very 'active' as well...I mean there's actually alot to look at on the box art.

Enough of that though, the game is whats important. Here you have a good conversion, which is a tad easier than the arcade game. This is what I like about ports on home consoles, they tend to be easier and with Total Carnage, that is something which helps the fun factor....I like to know that with practice, I'll be able to venture far into this game without continuing, and that is important to me because I like to feel like I'm accomplishing something and getting better....something that the arcade version lacks...which is filled with cheap shots and unavoidable deaths.

I noticed just how much easier the game was on the first boss(The big green guy), he doesn't shoot near as much, and his erratic movements from the arcade version have been WAAAAY toned down, so its actually possible to beat him without dying(although I haven't done that yet).

I noticed the voice samples are exactly from the arcade version, but the general game sound effects aren't quite as good. I think the Jaguar version could have had arcade perfect sound effects...oh well.

One last point and tip....I think the only way to play this game successfully is to get used to the keypad firing system. The B button firing system just isn't effective enough because you get surrounded to much by enemies....If you have a joystick, the B button system might be better, but using your thumb for the d-pad to re-aim your weapon doesn't work very well from what I've tried.

Awesome game...I played it to the end today and got 129 keys so I didn't get to enter the pleasure domes, but I can say this game is complete and I didn't encounter any glitches and only a couple tiny instances of slowdown. Overall this is a 10 rated game in the Jag library.

Cool, glad you're enjoying the game! And I'm impressed you got to the end so quickly -- was that on easy, normal, or hard?

941202[/snapback]

You know what, I thought something was weird. I just press the B button and it sends me right to the start of the game(well, to the chick news reporter segment)....I didn't notice any part where I can choose either character, or the difficulty setting.

To answer the question, I guess whatever the default difficulty is. Plus I just credit feeded till the end....so it's no big deal on that part really.

edit: I had to check things out...looks like you have to press OPTION at the title screen to get to the *gasp* Option screen. :ponder: I haven't read the manual yet. :D

Edited by Gunstarhero

To answer the question, I guess whatever the default difficulty is. Plus I just credit feeded till the end....so it's no big deal on that part really.

941222[/snapback]

Hi I just got the game and it seems that I have only one continue. Am I doing something wrong? After I lose all lives plus the continue I get the Game over Screen. WHat am I missing? I think like that I won't make it too far into the game....

Other than that I was pleased so far. The Box and everything look very good. You just might want to consider something else than newspaper Carl for packaging. I think Skyhammer came in a box fill of that foam stuff. While it was funny to read one of your newspapers over here it pressed into the box. It's not bad but I guess someone had a strong thumb and it went right into the box.There is not a hole or something but you can see that there was pressure on it. The shipping was fast this time which is excellent.

I have to agree with Gunstarhero that B-button firing isn't the way to go for me either. First I had a hard time imagining how to play with the keypad and I still think it's a bit uncomfortable but it plays way better. It's quite a strange feeling because I have an overlay on the keypad and my fingers just rotate in any direction I might need but it's cool somehow. Just need to get used to it. Seems like a solid game. While it's nothing breathtaking like the first time I saw skyhammer it's a nice addition and I can't wait to play it with a friend. Should be fun. If only there is not something wrong with my catridge and the continue feautre. Problem is that I forgot the manual at my parents flat so I don't know if I missed something. Ah well gotta try.

What else can I say? Guess I have to play it a bit more to comment further but so far it's cool. A bit expensive but a nice addition to the collection.

Peter

Oh and I forgot to mention that while playing with the keypad it's kinda hard to switch over to the buttons for bombs or to make text windwos dissapear but that is not that big of a issue, just had another round and remembered that I wanted to say that before.

Edited by Peterghiea

If you hit Option at the title screen and select an easier difficulty you'll get more continues.

944617[/snapback]

Thanks Kev, but that's why I wonder because I think I played on easy. Is there anything else I have to do than movin the cursor onto easy and press option again? I had the feeling that it would not let me press any other button in the option screen. Hm....

Well guess I will have to try it again or see if that thing happens to others as well...

BTW good work on the Art Kev.

Peter

If you hit Option at the title screen and select an easier difficulty you'll get more continues.

944617[/snapback]

Thanks Kev, but that's why I wonder because I think I played on easy. Is there anything else I have to do than movin the cursor onto easy and press option again? I had the feeling that it would not let me press any other button in the option screen. Hm....

Well guess I will have to try it again or see if that thing happens to others as well...

Peter

944631[/snapback]

Yep, move the cursor to Easy, hit option and you'll be good. If you want to double-check hit option again and you'll see that Easy is highlighted.

Hmm that's wierd it just happened to me too. Let me dig around and see if I can figure out what's going on.

EDIT: Wierd, I can't get it to happen again. I'd suggest just starting a new game and seeing if it's OK for you - no matter what difficulty or character I use I get continues now. Strange.

Thanks for the compliments on the box/manual/label. I think they came out great but then I'm biased ;)

Edited by K3V

944617[/snapback]

Peter

944631[/snapback]

Yep, move the cursor to Easy, hit option and you'll be good. If you want to double-check hit option again and you'll see that Easy is highlighted.

Hmm that's wierd it just happened to me too. Let me dig around and see if I can figure out what's going on.

EDIT: Wierd, I can't get it to happen again. I'd suggest just starting a new game and seeing if it's OK for you - no matter what difficulty or character I use I get continues now. Strange.

Thanks for the compliments on the box/manual/label. I think they came out great but then I'm biased ;)

944647[/snapback]

Well don't know if that is good or not but I am happy to hear that I am not crazy, stupid or something else.......in regards to that issue....well I'm gonna try it again.

Edit: I played around a bit and to me it seems random. It does not tell you how many credits you have but on either playmode sometimes I had more sometimes I had less continues. It's only stange that my first issue didn't reapear. Now in every playmode I had more than just one continue. But sometimes I died in easy and was game over after four continues and then I made it to the green boss in hard and had like 5 or 6 continues or something until i died. Guess I suck at the game anyway so maybe I just need to practice and then I don't die anymore.

Too bad that there is this happening....maybe there is some kind of workaround....

I don't want to be too fast on conclusions but could it have something to do with moving the option menue to the start of the game?

Yeah you might be biased but that doesn't mean that you can't know when you did something good or not. So it's all fine. I think you are grown up enough to reflect on those things hehe :-)

Peter

Edited by Peterghiea

Hi Peter and K3V,

From my playtime with the game, I don't think when the game runs out of continues that it's a 'random' thing. It appears to me that there may be some kind of credit limit per stage? For instance, if I do particularly bad on a level and continue a couple times within a short time period, without really even moving to a new spot in the level, then I'll get hit with the 'game over'.

It seems the better I play, I don't have any problems with the continue feature. It's like the game rewards you with more continues if you do good.

Hi Peter and K3V,

From my playtime with the game, I don't think when the game runs out of continues that it's a 'random' thing. It appears to me that there may be some kind of credit limit per stage? For instance, if I do particularly bad on a level and continue a couple times within a short time period, without really even moving to a new spot in the level, then I'll get hit with the 'game over'.

It seems the better I play, I don't have any problems with the continue feature. It's like the game rewards you with more continues if you do good.

944784[/snapback]

That might be possible but then again I did not find a difference between the difficulty levels. I thought, as Kev suggested, that it has something to do with the number of continues. Hm, maybe you are right and that's why it felt kinda random for me.

That would explain why I only had one continue at the beginning because I really sucked and died all the time but later I progressed further and didn't die that much.....could be.....

Peter

I got to enter the Pleasure Domes. Thankfully you only need 180 keys in this version....I could never get the 220 required for the arcade game. Finally got to see whats inside. I'm not tellin either. :D

945547[/snapback]

Yeah don't tell. I just got 154 key yesterday evening. Gotta try it again :-)

And I didn't catch all the generals either..... I have to practice a bit more I guess.

Peter

There's one little thing that I've noticed isn't present in this game, and that is the Jetpack that lets you hover over land mines on the stages where you have to blow up Ahk-Boobs airforce. Of course, it could be in there and I just haven't found it yet. You can see the sprite for it on the high score page, if you look near the top/center of the screen its the thing right next to the flamethrower...thats the jetpack! :D

There's one little thing that I've noticed isn't present in this game, and that is the Jetpack that lets you hover over land mines on the stages where you have to blow up Ahk-Boobs airforce. Of course, it could be in there and I just haven't found it yet. You can see the sprite for it on the high score page, if you look near the top/center of the screen its the thing right next to the flamethrower...thats the jetpack! :D

947017[/snapback]

Cool did not know the jetpack thingy.....but I haven't encoutered it either so maybe they left it out or it's a cheat or something. I tried to get the keys today and got 176 and was sooooooo pissed.Two keys dissapeared right before my nose and well two more.But i didn't want to play it again yet :-) Damn Pleasuredome...better be good.

It would be cool to have smash tv hidden in the cart in the dome but I am dreaming for too much i guess :-)

Peter

• 2 weeks later...