IGNORED

NES -> Atari 2600 port

Cybergoth

Which of these NES games should be ported to the 2600?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these NES games should be ported to the 2600?

• The Legend of Zelda
    • Metroid
    • Kid Icarus
    • Super Mario Bros.
    • Dr. Mario
    • Micro Machines
    • Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
    • Final Fantasy
    • Clu Clu Land
    • Donkey Kong 3
    • Excitebike
    • Urban Champion

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hi there!

As requested by vdub_bobby, here's a collection of classic NES games :)

Greetings,

Manuel

941315[/snapback]

I started on an Excitebike clone a while back. I think I found a good way to draw several 3D jumps on the screen and one motorcycle but I couldn't figure out a good way to draw a few opponent motorcyclists without flicker so I gave up :(

Hi there!

I think Punch-Out would be the coolest addition to the 2600 library of all those (well...that or Final Fantasy)

Hm... Final Fantasy is probably overrated anyway. Having recently played it on the GBA, I think I quit after 10 hours out of boredom. Final Fantasy II on the other hand was still quite entertaining. :)

Also, I went with your suggestion of Micro Machines, even though I think R.C. Pro Am is the king ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

As requested by vdub_bobby, here's a collection of classic NES games :)

Greetings,

Manuel

941315[/snapback]

I started on an Excitebike clone a while back. I think I found a good way to draw several 3D jumps on the screen and one motorcycle but I couldn't figure out a good way to draw a few opponent motorcyclists without flicker so I gave up :(

941423[/snapback]

Motorodeo is a very similar game.

Hi there!

Super Mario is gonna look bad on 2600...and I don't mean bad as in good.

Hm... you'll never know for sure how it'll be in the end, before trying it. Only after spending a few hours with mockups and some sample code you can judge wether it's worth to go for it or not. So far I've encountered only very few things where I'd generally say *impossible*

I think the general portability of game concepts to the 2600 stops somewhere near "Populous" ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

hoo boy, has it been a while since I last posted :o Anyway, if you put an experinced programmer who is determined to make a fun, playble game out of the Super Mario Bros. idea, I'd absolutely LOVE to see that. But if I couldn't chose that, I'd have to say Mike Tyson's Punch-out, one of my NES favs.

Hm... Final Fantasy is probably overrated anyway. Having recently played it on the GBA, I think I quit after 10 hours out of boredom.

What I want to know is... if it's "Final" Fantasy, why do they keep making them?

Anyway, I would've voted for Mario Golf, but it's not an option. The 2600 still needs a good golf game.

It seems like Punch-Out would be a good contender (pun slightly intended) for a port. The background is static and there are only two onscreen characters to keep track of.

A slightly different control scheme would be required. The joystick can do the punching (left/right for body blow, up-left/up-right for head) and ducking (down) while holding the fire button and pressing left or right will dodge. Press up to use the uppercut when available.

- Jason

I'd have to say Metroid or Kid Icarus. Super Mario Bros. would be cool, but I don't think the 2600 could do it justice. Kid Icarus is probably a better choice over Metroid because it's more linear; Metroid would be a big project: one that would probably be abandoned halfway through. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! could be sexy, too, however...

Excitebike is definitely my favorite game of the bunch listed, but I don't see how it could be pulled off effectively.

So, I'd go with metroid.

It seems like it would be a very doable game (programming-wise) and if the game world was large enough and/or randomized with plenty of aspects to the gameplay, I can imagine people coming back to play it again and again.

And God oh why is Urban Champion on there?! That's the absolute worst game for NES, period.

Hm... Final Fantasy is probably overrated anyway. Having recently played it on the GBA, I think I quit after 10 hours out of boredom.

What I want to know is... if it's "Final" Fantasy, why do they keep making them?

Anyway, I would've voted for Mario Golf, but it's not an option. The 2600 still needs a good golf game.

942726[/snapback]

"Final" Fantasy was going to be Square's last game if it didn't make them money as they where strugling at the time. As you can see we will be a long time a waiting the "final" fantasy as that game is a staple in Video Gaming as setting the new standard for RPG games IMO.

EDIT: I pick SMB, I think it would be better suited on the 7800 but what the hell lets see it on the 2600 as it might actually get made unlike the 7800 version which is a long time from seeing serious thought.

Also, Either Dr. Mario or Excitbike would be the easiest games from that list to make as far as I know, I'm no6502 genius or anything, I'm just going on what I do know.

Edited by silver_surfer

I think it's too much to ask for these games to be done well on the 2600. They are more suited to the 7800 or Lynx.

943964[/snapback]

On the contrary, I think you could do a fantastic port of many of these.

EDIT: Here's a possible, very doable mockup for Metroid. I think Thrust-style scrolling would be best for this.

post-6060-1128706243_thumb.jpg

Edited by vdub_bobby

I think it's too much to ask for these games to be done well on the 2600. They are more suited to the 7800 or Lynx.

943964[/snapback]

On the contrary, I think you could do a fantastic port of many of these.

EDIT: Here's a possible, very doable mockup for Metroid. I think Thrust-style scrolling would be best for this.

post-6060-1128706243_thumb.jpg

943970[/snapback]

Oh my god, I want to go on record as saying I'd do anything to get to do the sprites for a Metroid game on the 2600... so if anyone wants to take this on, I'd be more than happy to make it look as good as I possibly could. Metroid is just about my favorite game on any console ever.

Hi there!

Metroid is just about my favorite game on any console ever.

After playing Zero Mission on the GBA, I don't think I could ever go back to the original NES version... ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

944254[/snapback]

Okay, I'd like to go on record as saying that I'd sprite a Zero Mission port for 2600 as well... is that better? ;)

Super Mario is gonna look bad on 2600...and I don't mean bad as in good.

941616[/snapback]

It's been awhile since I played it. How many different types of bricks are there, and how many bricks across the screen? If the bricks were drawn with a striped playfield, how often would there be more than two, or more than four, other moving objects per scan line?

Hi there!

So is  this thread to pick a game and someone is taking it on or is it just a what if?

The point is to spawn some discussion about these games, check general interest, debate the doability, maybe create some mockups and maybe really inspire someone to do something.

Greetings,

Manuel