IGNORED

Whatever happened to Solar Plexus?

Jess Ragan

"There was supposed to be a cartridge version of this, wasn't there?"

Yeah, there was, and it's totally my fault that it's not out yet. I've been working on cartridge artwork for the game, but I haven't finished it, because I keep getting occupied with everything else under the sun (college, freelance writing, gaming, etc.).

The drawing has already been inked, but I need to find someone that can really make the art leap off the page with a good coloring job. I've given some thought to arranging a coloring contest with the webmaster of Atari Age, where the winner receives a free copy of the game. Would you be willing to participate in something like that, Al?

After the artwork is colored, I could start work on the instruction manual and finally get Solar Plexus out the door and in the hands of collectors.

JR

Yep, that's full size. Thanks for considering it.

Oh... by the way, I should probably point out a couple of things about the picture. It's a rough approximation of the X-Wing cockpit, and the pilot is supposed to look like Craig Charles from Red Dwarf. When you color him (if you choose to tackle this project), make sure he's got a light chocolate skin tone like the actor in the show. Thanks!

JR

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an early design for the Solar Plexus cartridge label. The artwork was created by Nathan Strum and myself... well, actually, Nathan deserves the lion's share of the credit, as he took a simple line drawing and turned it into something with a lot more detail and character.

I'm working on a suitable border for the artwork... it's a little rough at the moment, but I'm going to experiment a little with the layout, trying to find the right places for all the various logos that will need to be included on the front of the cartridge. Later on, I'll begin the text for the game's instruction booklet... it should be a lot of fun to write that, since I'm planning a storyline that's a bit out of the ordinary for a science-fiction video game.

Anyway, give it a look and tell me what you think. Thanks again to Nathan Strum for taking the time to work on the cover artwork!

JR

post-393-1131429610_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jess Ragan

I have to admit I wasn't too keen on your line drawing artwork, but now I think it looks a lot better for a label! :)

It has a bit of the Atari Picture label style mixed with some of the style of a few recent homebrew labels.

It may look nice in the Atari silver or red label format. :thumbsup: