IGNORED

VME graphic cards...what's the deal?

Gunstar

I've been attempting to look for VGA/SVGA graphic cards for my MSTE's VME slot, but can't seem to find anything when I Google with something like "mega STE VME cards" or similiar. I found plenty when I just do VME graphic cards though. Basically, I'm wondering if I can just plug in a VME card like the ones at the link below and it will work in a plu&play style or if I need software drivers designed specifically to make VME cards work with my MSTE. If so, where can I get the software drivers and such, or is it software program specific? Like, if I use a paint program like Prism paint that supports VGA modes, will the VME card automatically work with Prism paint? (just one example)

I have no documentation for my mega ste, so I don't know much about it. any help is appreciated. If, I have to have VME cards specificall designed for the TT/megaSTE, then can someone direct me to them? Thanks!

http://www.rastergraf.com/rg741_vme_main.htm

The NOVA graphics card was one of the latest cards for TT/MSTE. it was sold by HomaSystems here:

http://www.geocities.com/nmontaser/

Now that I check, they say they have NO more cards for VMEbus left, only for Falcon (they had those two different versions)

IIRC there was somebody at alt.atari.... newsgroups getting rid of one of those VME.

EDIT:

then there is the CrazyDots card, that was hot at that time as well. Sometimes it pops up at some Ebay European version (DE UK ...)

Edited by Paolo

Graphics card comes with VDI driver usually. Unfortunately there are some cards (for example Imagine) which have not full support and miss some newer VDI functions in its VDI driver. It is also possible to install NVDI or SpeedoGDOS with almost all graphics card. Clean GEM programs mostly works without problems. But I can't tell you anything about Prism Paint as I don't know it.

You are stuck using VME graphic cards designed for the Atari's.

As mentioned Nova and Crazy Dots (1 and 2) were the most popular back in the day.

Mario Becroft designed a VME card for the Atari's, but I don't know if he ever sold many. I "heard" he had driver issues that always plagued the card.

http://gem.win.co.nz/mb/atarihw/galaxy.html

I have a Crazy Dots II card. I use it in my TT. I bought one when the II model came out (got it at the Mist show in Indy, many moons ago). I ended up selling it when I started getting out of the Atari realm. Many years later as I started reacquiring stuff, I found another Crazy Dots II card for sale and jumped on it.

You definitely need that software that comes with the cards. And you really need NVDI or a similar program that supports the card to help speed it up.

As was mentioned any compliant GEM program should work pretty well.

I tried my CD II card on my Mega STE and found that even with NVDI ET4000 the Mega STE was just too slow to take advantage of the card. I love the card in my TT though.

I remember contacting Mario last year, and I remember that the card was going to have Ethernet AND video, but then the Ethernet driver didn't make it, and the development slowed down, leaving the card with its first version driver, that was reported to be a bit slow... what a pity

I have a AlberTT card.

That is reported to be one of the worst cards for the Atari TT, but what it accomplishes is kinda interesting. It gives you TT High resolution (normally black and white/greyscale) with 16 color. You can't switch from it, but applications run well with it.

It amazes me how many hoops you have to go through to get an Atari TT-030 that is just a little bit better than a malfuctioning 486. :D (16 color is what 486's start out with when the recognition of the video card is not going well.)

Hi,

I have a Matrix TC1208 VME graphics card in my TT and it works pretty well.

NVDI supports the Matrix cards.

The only problems I have had running in higher resolutions when the screen does not appear to refresh properly, but thats a driver issue.

I have seen Matrix cards on german e-bay from time to time. But good luck getting one.

I have seen these 'industry VME standard VME cards', and I can't see any reason why they would not work in an Atari but you would have to write your own driver. Not all that difficult if they can provide some sort of universal SDK for the card, but I have found these cards to be more expensive than hunting around for an old one specifically for the Atari.

Richard.

• 3 weeks later...

I've love a card for my MegaSTE .. would compliment the 68882 I had installed in it 2 weeks ago at the JagFest (UK) 2005.

But the prices I've seen them go for on eBay (mostly in Germany) are just silly! For the price of a VME graphics card, I bought a complete PC!

There were rumours off someone else on Atari Forum about the Acorn Archimedes (a UK computer for the USA guys here) which also had a VME Bus in it .. but not sure how far the investigations got.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I own a SuperNova (ATI MAch64 2MB) and a Crazy Dots (ET4000 1MB) card for my TT. The Nova is much faster and offers higher resolution. Its disadvantage is that the VME card is just the adapter and the ATI ends up being in a box behind the TT.

Since I also own a PAM-VME network card and the TT has only one VME slot, I ususally only use the PAM. But I really love the Nova card and manged to get the source code for the drivers AND the GAL!

Now we have everything necessary to be able to built our own combined network/graphic card. It might be possible to utilize the EtherNAT/CTLink design and construct a Nova-100Mbit VME-adapter card, based on the single-chip 91C111 ethernet controller. Even adding USB like on the EtherNAT might be possible.

Unfortunately, my electronic skills are only those of a hobbyist. I never produced a pcb and I doubt that I am able to solder QFP for the prototype. This is why started a thread in a german forum discussing a potential project.

I'd like to make absolutely clear that I am not saying that I will produce this card.

There has been enough Vaporware for the ATARI. I am merely trying to explore the possibilities and getting the right people together to do the job.

Any help is welcome.

Joe

Wow, that is good news. BTW under what licence you have got the sources and GAL content? Is possible that new project will be open?

I have Imagine VME card, it is older version of NOVA with ET4000. As I am using external drive with my TT I mount the ISA card to space where normaly is harddrive.

post-2769-1131661191_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a NOVA with ATI Mach64 2mb ISA card for the TT030, alas I've had a headache gettting it working (any driver info for getting it going with NVDI5/MagiC 6.2 appreciated!) , but it would make life much more pleasent display wise, especially if you use art programs of the web where it's pretty indispencible. if you see any of the VME cards (Galaxy, NOVA, CrazyDots etc.) then jump on it as they are as rare as hens teeth. Alas on Ebay they tend to go for ASTRONOMICAL amounts though. :( :( :(

All the above will give you the basic SVGA resolutions, some are better than others but all do 640x480 TC, 800x600 and 1024x768 in at least 256col. as a minimum. The Galaxy is very rare and the drivers are not the best, but it is the most powerful card (something like 16mb graphics memory) by a long shot. The EtherNet support for it never made it. Keep an eye on Ebay.de as this is where most come up.

Edited by dark willow

I have a NOVA with ATI Mach64 2mb ISA card for the TT030, alas I've had a headache gettting it working (any driver info for getting it going with NVDI5/MagiC 6.2 appreciated!) , but it would make life much more pleasent display wise, especially if you use art programs of the web where it's pretty

968837[/snapback]

I have not MagiC but my Imagine works with NVDI! My friend has NOVA in his TT and it is even better than my Imagine (Imagine drivers miss some calls so I cannot use HighWire withou pathing it...). So what problem have you? There is the option for NOVA graphics cards in install program for NVDI 5.

It is not so easy, but the installer should do it for you. First you need to install graphics card drivers properly and after that you have to install NVDI from scratch - do not use NVDI which was installed without NOVA VDI. At the result you must have in your AUTO folder these files (in this order)

EMULATOR.PRG - display emulator

MENU.PRG - selector of resolution (it is not neccessary but good to have)

STA_VDI.PRG - NOVA VDI driver

NVDI.PRG (optional)

WDIALOG.PRG (optional)

in these 2 files are resolution deffinitions so they must be also in AUTO folder

EMULATOR.BIB

STA_VDI.BIB

there are binary files so you cannot edit it in text editor. There is special application for editing. There are 2 versions one for MEGA STE and second for TT.

I remember there are some texts about NOVA and NVDI on NVDI (Behne bros.) and atarihome www page.

Edited by krupkaj

I think if Nvdi doesn't work with a Nova you have to kill the *.sys within the gemsys folder and which are uses by Nvdi.

Just rename to *.sy or throw them out of the gemsys.

I don't know if this is still necessary with Nvdi 5 but before this version it's the only way to use a Nova with Nvdi.

I think if Nvdi doesn't work with a Nova you have to kill the *.sys within the gemsys folder and which are uses by Nvdi.

Just rename to *.sy or throw them out of the gemsys.

I don't know if this is still necessary with Nvdi 5 but before this version it's the only way to use a Nova with Nvdi.

Yes, you are right, I forgot that. But I am not sure you can remove all NVDI SYS files. Something tells me that only offscreens drivers must go away. I will check it and post list of files in my GEMSYS folder.