IGNORED

Yet Another Homebrew Idea

uosipa llamxew

I could have sworn I read a post in this forum about making a homebrew about earthquakes, floods, or natural disasters... something? I can't seem to find it now. :?

Anyways, yesterday I had an hour of free time and I threw together a couple of ideas and a small mockup/game to give an idea of what I had in mind.

Synopsis: You are working in the warehouse when suddenly the room around you begins to tremble - there is an earthquake! The plumbing in the building has apparently been disturbed as the room starts filling with water! There are no windows and the doors are blocked! Cinderblocks and other debris are falling from the ceiling - you spy a hole in the roof... this is your only escape!

I threw together this mockup to give an idea of gameplay. The idea is that this would be a puzzle-type of game... the way ladders and bricks fall from level to level would be sequenced so that each level is passable, given you figure out the correct pattern(s) to move about in each level.

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to implement the puzzle part of the game in this mockup/demo (right now, where the exit is placed and where the blocks and ladders fall is completely random), but I still think it gives an idea of how the gameplay might be. Now, I know that a lot of the homebrew guys are already swamped with ideas... I'm not even entirely sure something like this is possible on the VCS, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Use the cursor keys to move about, and the <shift> key to jump. (Demo is for Windows computers)

I could have sworn I read a post in this forum about making a homebrew about earthquakes, floods, or natural disasters...  something?  I can't seem to find it now.  :?

Anyways, yesterday I had an hour of free time and I threw together a couple of ideas and a small mockup/game to give an idea of what I had in mind.

Synopsis:  You are working in the warehouse when suddenly the room around you begins to tremble - there is an earthquake!  The plumbing in the building has apparently been disturbed as the room starts filling with water!  There are no windows and the doors are blocked!  Cinderblocks and other debris are falling from the ceiling - you spy a hole in the roof... this is your only escape! 

I threw together this mockup to give an idea of gameplay.  The idea is that this would be a puzzle-type of game...  the way ladders and bricks fall from level to level would be sequenced so that each level is passable, given you figure out the correct pattern(s) to move about in each level.

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to implement the puzzle part of the game in this mockup/demo (right now, where the exit is placed and where the blocks and ladders fall is completely random), but I still think it gives an idea of how the gameplay might be.  Now, I know that a lot of the homebrew guys are already swamped with ideas...  I'm not even entirely sure something like this is possible on the VCS, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there. 

Use the cursor keys to move about, and the <shift> key to jump.  (Demo is for Windows computers)

947346[/snapback]

Interesting idea. The music in that demo is absolutely ridiculous :rolling:

Interesting idea.  The music in that demo is absolutely ridiculous :rolling:

947625[/snapback]

Heh, I needed some quick sound effects. I pulled that midi off the first midi page I dug up. It's "The Time Warp" from Rocky Horror Picture Show! :lol:

What  language is the mock up in?

Right now the gameplay involves a lot of waiting...

947722[/snapback]

Right... the demo isn't as refined as I'd have liked it to be... but it does serve the purpose of showing the main idea of the game. The playfield proportions are completely different than how they would be for a VCS game. I agree with you that right now it seems like a lot of waiting. I think that would change once each level were sequenced, as you would constantly need to dodge a brick falling from overhead. Perhaps the side walls could tumble in as well to keep the player dodging. :ponder: Maybe I should rework my mockup and post again later.

Anyways, I'm not sure what you meant by "what Language is the mock up in?" English :? [edit] :lol: I'm a moron. I just had a very long day at work, and I'm just not getting things! The game was put together with TGF.

Edited by mojofltr