IGNORED

Podcast interview with Curt Vendel

Hey guys! I'm not very good at pimping my own stuff but I wanted to let you guys know of an interview my podcast is currently running.

I do a weekly internet radio show (and podcast) creatively titled The Bobby Blackwolf Show where we discuss the latest news and trends in the gaming industry, as well as reminiscing about gaming's history. I've always wanted to do MORE regarding classic gaming, but I admit that so far I haven't done too well on that front. (We interviewed The Brothers Chaps from Homestar Runner and I grilled them about Paul Slocum's Homestar Runner RPG, though!)

To make up for the lack of coverage, I'm airing (in it's entirety) a two part interview with Curt Vendel, which runs about 36 minutes total, discussing the Atari Flashback, Atari Flashback 2, and AtariMuseum.com. It's been really interesting for me and my listeners and it's quite evident that Curt is VERY passionate about keeping the memory of Atari alive through these projects. While some of what he discusses may not be news to THIS community, I think it's a fascinating tale of how the Flashbacks came to be.

The first part of the interview, 19 minutes long, was aired on the October 9th show (that's an mp3) and begins at roughly the 24 minute mark. This is where he discusses the backstory of the Flashback, what went right and what went wrong in both consoles, and what games were chosen and why.

The second part of the interview will be aired on the upcoming Sunday night show, with the archive available by the Monday morning commute. This is where he discusses things like the engineering behind getting the 2600 on a chip, and about the cartridge port modification.

I was really honored that Curt took time out of his Saturday afternoon to record this interview with us, and I hope that you guys enjoy it. I'll update this thread with a link to part two after I air it.

I'd love to do some more content geared towards classic gaming enthusiasts, because I have my 2600 and Intellivision hooked up to my TV right next to my Xbox and PS2 (and about 7 consoles chronologically in between) such as interviewing homebrew developers...If anyone has any suggestions as to what they'd like to hear covered, post them here and I'll do my best to cover them!

Thanks for your time. I promise I won't pimp my stuff here unless there's something of value to this community. :>

Very interesting and honest interview. Finally I understand how some of the sub par

games made it into the final product. It is a very revealing look into the latest

incarnation of Atari. We are lucky to have someone like Curt working for them. Looking forward to the next part. Thanx

Edited by kevin242

An interview with Curt.... bah!  Oh wait a sec...

;-)

Dennis, how else would someone pronounce your last name, DEE-BRO? 

That's what I was wondering too.. Seems like a fairly obvious name name to pronounce. :) It's rare to hear my last name pronounced properly the first time someone tries to say it, so I've become quite accustomed to that (as well as people spelling it incorrectly).

..Al

An interview with Curt.... bah!  Oh wait a sec...

;-)

That's what I was wondering too.. Seems like a fairly obvious name name to pronounce. :) It's rare to hear my last name pronounced properly the first time someone tries to say it, so I've become quite accustomed to that (as well as people spelling it incorrectly).

..Al

948440[/snapback]

How is it pronunced phonetically?

YAR-UH-SOH?

Have I bastardized it badly? :?

Great interview. Be sure to post a link to the second interview.

Hmmm...I've heard DEE-BRO, De'Bro (as in da bro :D), Deb-a-roh (where'd the a come from :? ), and even Deb-rah :P

Over the years I've just gotten use to it.

948197[/snapback]

Good thing I've only typed out your name. I blame Stan. At least I know how to pronounce it now.

The second part of the Podcast interview with Curt Vendel from The Bobby Blackwolf Show has been posted. Be sure to listen to Episode #13 - October 16, 2005 to hear more info on the FB2 as well as some good tidbits on the FB3 (some of the details have been posted in the AtariAge forums, but it's still a very interesting broadcast).

Heh, I was just about to come in here to link it, and I notice it's already linked!

Hope it had a little bit of info that was interesting to this community.

The Flashback segment begins at the 13:20 minute mark, but that's when I start introducing the segment, and after the interview I do give some of my honest opinions of the Flashback 2 that I purchased late last week (as well as giving a plug for AtariAge!)

Thanks for listening guys, I hope to have some more retro content in the future.

Edited by Blackwolf

Thanks for listening guys, I hope to have some more retro content in the future.

949903[/snapback]

When you have more retro content, be sure to post a link to it here.

I didn't realize (or remember actually) that you were one of the Philly 5 organizers. I knew the screen name was familiar for some reason.