IGNORED

What's this item at Target?

SomeGuyWithDSL

Ran across it while looking for any trace of the Flashback 2 ... Unfortunately, there's no description whatsoever. I noticed the cabinet art includes Asteroids, among others, and thought someone here might have a clue.

What's the hardware, who's done the porting (if applicable), etc.

Tabletop Arcade Cabinet ... also noticed the Full Size Arcade Cabinet version.

Arcade Legends is a product by Chicago Gaming and Ultracade. Its run on Dell GX110 hardware (though they are slated to be using a new custom h/w platform in 06') using custom Ultracade front end and using licensed emulators for the game run, they have upwards of 40 games on the systems, plus you can also buy upgrade packs for a few hundred so you can keep putting fresh new content onto them without having to buy a whole new arcade system.

The HD is formatted and encrypted very heavily, so don't think you'll be sneaking around in there to do your own adding of games, of course you could just zap the whole HD and put on MAME and your own games if you wanted and do you own custom tweaked front end.

The Cocktail version I think is one of the best since its small enough for most people to own, although if you check out the big honk'n 54" Showcase version, that is just jaw-dropping gorgeous.

Curt

Ran across it while looking for any trace of the Flashback 2 ... Unfortunately, there's no description whatsoever. I noticed the cabinet art includes Asteroids, among others, and thought someone here might have a clue.

950434[/snapback]

EDIT: Curt provided some more information as I was posting. Thanks!

Cool find!  My googlefu turned up this

http://www.chicago-gaming.com/

950470[/snapback]

Nice. The specific product page is here. The cabinets are apparently also expandable with Arcade Legends Add-On Game Packs. Still no "real" info on actual system hardware, etc.

It's a curious selection of games, at least. Sounds like licensing success has been hit-or-miss, but they're in good with Atari, Capcom, and Ultracade. From the site:

* Full Size or Tabletop Cabinet with 25" Wells Gardner Color Monitor

* Real Arcade Controls Including Two Joysticks, 3" Trackball and Buttons

* Attractive and Easy Selection Interface

Legendary arcade games, authentic in every detail. Includes:

* Asteroids ® (Atari 1979)

* Asteroids Deluxe ® (Atari 1980)

* Battlezone ® (Atari 1980)

* Berzerk ® (Stern 1980)

* Black Widow TM (Atari 1982)

* Bombjack Twin [ultracade Technologies 2003(NMK 1993)]

* Centipede ® (Atari 1980)

* Crystal Castles TM (Atari 1983)

* Dark Stalkers TM (Capcom 1994)

* Ghosts ‘N Goblins TM (Capcom 1985)

Arcade Legends

* Gravitar TM (Atari 1982)

* Gunsmoke TM (Capcom 1985)

* Ladybug TM Ultracade Technologies 2002 (Universal 1981)

* Liberator TM (Atari 1982)

* Lunar Lander TM (Atari 1979)

* Major Havoc TM (Atari 1983)

* Mega Man TM (Capcom 1995)

* Millipede TM (Atari 1982)

* Missile Command ® (Atari 1980)

* Mr. Do! TM [ultracade Technologies 2002 (Universal 1982)]

* Mr. Do!’s Castle TM [ultracade Technologies 2002 (Universal 1983)]

* Mr. Do!’s Wild Ride TM [ultracade Technologies 2002 (Universal 1984)]

* Penguin Wars TM [ultracade Technologies (UPL 1984)]

* Pinball Action TM (Tehkan 1985)

* Pinbo TM (Jaleco 1984)

* Red Baron TM (Atari 1980)

* Space Duel TM (Atari 1982)

* Street Fighter II TM (Capcom 1991)

* Speedball TM (Tecfri 1987)

* Strider TM (Capcom 1989)

* Super Breakout TM (Atari 1978)

* Super Dodge Ball TM [ultracade Technologies 2003 (Technos 1987)]

* Tempest TM (Atari 1980)

* Warlords TM (Atari 1980)

* 1942 TM (Capcom 1984)

Edited by SomeGuyWithDSL

These things are way over priced if you ask me..

I built two counter top Mame cabinets for my neices for Christmas two years ago... Used real arcade joysticks and buttons from an old arcade machine I had in the basement..

I built the cabinets using MDF very easy to work with and cheap, the computers were throw aways from the company I worked for... And the monitors were yard sale or thrift store purchases.. $5.00 speakers from computer show.

I used DOS, and Arcade OS and it worked wonderful...

Everyones jaw dropped when they saw what I built, and they played the heck out of the machines until it was time to leave...

I spent under $100.00 a piece and it played all the classics like a champ.

I plan on building one for myself soon using a cocktail cabinet I grabbed at an auction...

Your home brew cabinet can do far more than these Ultracade one can...

For a thousand dollars more you can buy an 'open-ended' MAME machine :)

http://www.hanaho.com/products/ArcadePC/Ultra/index.html

Of course, you can always build your own but if you got the extra money and no time then the prebuilt ones are the way to go. I wouldn't ever consider one that didn't let you add all the games and emulators you wanted.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=b...asin=B000AQHKR0

This one's also available at Target, and it's only $499. It's got a good selection of games, too.

950665[/snapback]

Damn - $500 That is cheap! :-o

That screen setup looks really weird ass though. I wonder what the cab dimensions are?

Edited by remowilliams

The problems with that "thing" are:

Its running a "Genesis on a chip", the games aren't real arcade games, but re-writes.

The controls are the same toyish joysticks as the Namco 5in1's

The TV set (yes TV) in them is 13" which is ridiculously small.

Curt

This one's also available at Target, and it's only $499. It's got a good selection of games, too.

950665[/snapback]

The screen is low because the cabinet is 20" X 20" foot print and 5' tall.

Curt

950665[/snapback]

Damn - $500 That is cheap! :-o

That screen setup looks really weird ass though. I wonder what the cab dimensions are?

950671[/snapback]

Yeah, especially after having done some more searching on that site I found numerous famiclone type systems (wonder if any of them are considered the "black market" stuff we're all familiar with). Having seen this kinda stuff at Target's website (yet for some odd reason NO mention of the FB2 whatsoever) makes me very leery of them now..

Target's selling arcade machine cabinets -- with games in them.

And for about a few grand at that.

Something about it is just too weird.

950714[/snapback]

I havent been to target as of late but from guessing those products are possibly the most expensive items the target name is selling, they dont sell expensive jewelry right ?

At least with a MAME cabinet you're getting 3/4" MDF with professional t-molding, not 1/2" with router rounded, black spray-painted edges.

You're also getting REAL arcade controllers, not some mickey-mouse Namco5in1 quality junk controls.

Curt

It's cheezebag, but considering that MAME cab kits with nothing in them sell for $500 and up, it's still surprisingly cheap.

951155[/snapback]

At least with a MAME cabinet you're getting 3/4" MDF with professional t-molding, not 1/2" with router rounded, black spray-painted edges.

You're also getting REAL arcade controllers, not some mickey-mouse Namco5in1 quality junk controls.

Curt

It's cheezebag, but considering that MAME cab kits with nothing in them sell for $500 and up, it's still surprisingly cheap.

951155[/snapback]

951214[/snapback]

Very true, it is quite cheap - in every way :)

But there might be a market at that price point. It's still very odd to see any arcade cabs for sale through Target.

Edited by remowilliams

950434[/snapback]

Hmmm....

COSTCO had these awhile back for $2000 (Cocktail style).

The thing I strongly disliked about it was the fact the that the monitor was not a VGA monitor and the vectror games looked like crap. Other than that it is very cool. Fry's here in Seattle sells them as well for the same price as Target. I'm not sure why COSTCO had them for a grand less at the time.

Regards,

-Lee

I'm not sure why COSTCO had them for a grand less at the time.

951497[/snapback]

And to think I considered them overpriced back then ...

I was thinking about the Target mini-cabinet again. It's "cheap," yet I could get the "expensive" XBOX 360 premium pack for the same price. :ponder:

Maybe these things will begin getting manufactured overseas in bulk, like bolt-together furniture, so we can realize some real savings someday?

Interesting to see something like that in a Target catalog, I noticed those are the same two cabinets listed at this site (about 2/3rds of the way down)

http://www.homegameroom.com/catalog/sale.html

Nice idea but unforunately not something I can put in my place though, not yet anyways  :|

951962[/snapback]

Wow -- the Midway (Williams) games run about $100 per ROM! It would take a lot of quarter-munching to earn that back. I guess that helps us understand why arcades have gone tits-up.

"1/2" with router rounded, black spray-painted edges" :o

$50 Cab at auction

$50 New joystick and buttons

$20 19 inch TV

$30 FB2 or multigame box of your choice

$150 for side art, marquee and trim items (optional)

$150 ~ 300 total investment for a superior product

Or of course throw in a $100 computer and run an older version of MAME that "only" has 4,000 or so games.

That $3K cocktail would be nice if it weren't so gaudy... something like this would be much more "acceptable" for a wider # of people -

http://www.arcadedepot.com/

951476[/snapback]

I've dealt heavily with them - you won't find nicer people and people who stand behind their products more.

As a matter of fact, I've been working with them on a different level for the past year - Arcade Depot and I are very close to selling kits for countertop cabs that look very close to this, except no copyrighted side art (of course) and it will have an LCD screen instead of a CRT.

:-D

post-1787-1130072039_thumb.jpg