IGNORED

Nice...no box though...

AtariAger

But what makes this Atari 2600 so much more valuable than the other Ataris that sell for around $80 on ebay?

:roll:

I've seen alot of auctions which included repro hex plates which can bought from B & C for $2! Unfortunately many buyers have mistaken these for the originals. I bought a whole bag of these myself ...

It's a very nice heavy, but $475 :?

I wonder what the reserve is.

If anyone has a big bag fulls, I'll take two. I still don't have any. :(  I contacted B&C over a year ago about them then I never followed up.  I just want to have a nice pair of them with the hexes in place.

954246[/snapback]

Same here...no word? :?

:sad:

Absolutely MINT!!!

... my @$$!

Where I come from, "mint" means unused, and perfect. Several of the items in this listing are clearly not perfect.

There is apparently a scratch or gouge on the front, right edge of the console, as well as some small nicks in the yellow trim paint around the switch panel. The serial label is poorly positioned, running over the raised border. There seem to be some scratches or dings on the prongs side of the wall cube, upper left corner. There are screw marks on the fork terminals of the switchbox, which is corroded (though I grant that there is probably no such thing as an un-corroded vintage original switchbox).

Overall, I might grade it NM- just based on these pictures. The controllers look outstanding, but I'd like to see the bottom sides.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I've seen alot of auctions which included repro hex plates

There is no such thing as repro hex plates.

954231[/snapback]

I think what Dustin is trying to point out is that there is a difference between the original Atari (and Sears) hex plates and the replacement hex plates that can be bought from B&C. If you hold one of each side-by-side, there is supposed to be a noticible difference. If someone takes an original sixer joystick and slaps a replacement hex plate on top, it may be all official Atari parts, but still not the same as one found in the wild (or wherever) with an original hex plate still intact.

Dustin makes a premium on his auctions by pointing out how his heavy sixer auctions contain all original parts. I never knew the original power supply was all grey until I read it in one of his auctions. If you are uninformed, you could buy something from ebay thinking you have a heavy sixer, but end up with a black power supply, replacement hex plates, radio shack RF, and a picture label combat.

Dustin makes a premium on his auctions by pointing out how his heavy sixer auctions contain all original parts.  I never knew the original power supply was all grey until I read it in one of his auctions.  If you are uninformed, you could buy something from ebay thinking you have a heavy sixer, but end up with a black power supply, replacement hex plates, radio shack RF, and a picture label combat.

954618[/snapback]

I have seen both kinds from the "wild", he is misinformed. He buys/bought most of his stock from Povlok1 and collects his "knowledge" from him and the internet. And whilst he is correct about the power supply being the all grey one, this is only the case of the first shipments, Atari replaced it with the other grey one in later shipments. That is why the Sears heavy sixers come with the other grey power supply. I have personally picked up a CIB heavy sixer from an old woman in the suburbs of the bay-area in the past and found one of the "non-shiny" hex-plates and the later grey power supply in the box.

Absolutely MINT!!!

... my @$$!

Where I come from, "mint" means unused, and perfect.

No, that would be "new" condition.

"Mint" means it's been used but is otherwise perfect. I'm sure this originated as a way to describe coin condition, although it's not an actual recognized grade for coins in the US. (It may be an official grade in other countries.) It sounds like it describes condition as if it just came from the coin mint, but it wouldn't mean "new" because even colloquially you wouldn't say something was "mint" if it was new and/or uncirculated.

Still, though, if something is scratched or gouged it is most definitely not "mint". My only point is something could be used and still be mint, though. I've got all sorts of stuff in mint condition; systems I bought, took out of the box 2 or 3 times to test and/or play, then put back in the box.

I think it's fine to call something mint so long as there's no noticeable wear of any kind to the item. I rarely use mint without the near prefix though, I think it's hard to say exactly what will set off some ebayers, and listing something as mint can get you in trouble. Subjective grading will always be open to debate. Listing something as perfect can get you in trouble too, as bjk recently found out.

Absolutely MINT!!!

... my @$$!

Where I come from, "mint" means unused, and perfect.

No, that would be "new" condition.

954915[/snapback]

"Mint in box" is a higher quality standard than "new in box". It implies that the box is not only unopened, but it is also unblemished.

That having been said, I can't particularly fault this guy for being deceptive since his photos clearly show that the Atari has been removed from the box (and therefore the box, if there is one, has clearly been opened). Further, he doesn't picture the box at all. He may be drawing in some views from people who want a MIB unit and aren't interested in anything else, but I don't think he expects to profit unjustly from that (since such people wouldn't be interested in his system).

I do commend the guy for trying to point out what's good about his product. Many people seem to post ebay listings without putting in any time or effort. I suppose such listings can be good for bargain-hunters, since there will be less competition on them than on better listings. But why do the listers bother?

That having been said, I can't particularly fault this guy for being deceptive since his photos clearly show that the Atari has been removed from the box (and therefore the box, if there is one, has clearly been opened).  Further, he doesn't picture the box at all.  He may be drawing in some views from people who want a MIB unit and aren't interested in anything else, but I don't think he expects to profit unjustly from that (since such people wouldn't be interested in his system).

Mint system, not mint in box system. There is no mention of box in the auction.

Mint system, not mint in box system. There is no mention of box in the auction.

954938[/snapback]

;) :thumbsup: ...How many people open something up and toss out the box the same day. If it is used once and stored away for 20 or more years...well...that is mint too me.

:)

I don't know that I'd call the system Mint. Really I didn't look at the pics. I was only saying he claims it is mint, not that it was mint in box. Alot of times mint in box doesn't even mean you get a mint box either, only the contents are suppose to be mint inside.

Pricing wise, he's got this guy beat by a mile. :lol: