IGNORED

Taito Legends, and others

..just picked it up for the PS2...Man!!...I'm somewhat of a stickler for details, but most of these games seem bang on!..Rastan is just like I remember, too bad Operation Wolf didn't have some sort of a gun option...that being said, some real gems were left out (hopefully for a second volume)...Chase HQ, Arkanoid...

..anybody else have this game yet?

And on a side note..I'm thinking about picking up Midway Arcade Treasures Volume One....for Gauntlet and some other games...I've read some very bad reviews from the purist side, and some good reviews at Amazon. Anybody else care to comment on this game?

Midway Arcade Treasures is definitely worth getting, but you'll probably be disappointed with Gauntlet.  When you've got unlimited credits, it really does turn into a boring game.

956273[/snapback]

Hence why I restrict myself heavily on continues/credits/whatevers in games.

Often I don't use the feature at all.

When I do, I usually draw the line at a virtual dollar, and assume 25 cents a credit.

I'm into the credit saving features as well...it ruins all the old games!..as I'm finding out. As long as the gameplay is good, I'll be happy....plus me and my buddies loved Super Sprint, so the version on there could be fun too.

Taito Legends, in my opinion, is fantastic!....you can't go wrong with it if you like these games...the Capcom Collection is also great, although I have read that some of the games, SF2 for example, aren't picture perfect. I bought that disc tho for the 80's games, and there, I find it does a great job.

I laugh when I hear poor reviews when so kid who grew up on Doom and Quake and the like bitch about how the games are "super hard, and only for those with awesome hand eye coordination!" ...um, DUH! Of course they were, for the most part!....games that were hard have a special place in gaming history!

With all the unlimited tinkering you can do with a game (which is a cool feature)...most people want to see an ending quick so they can go to the next new flavour of the moment.

Which is why I find myself going backwards into gaming history, not only for the cool memories, but because the games were so original and, in some cases, difficult!

Back when finishing a game really meant you had skills!!!

The presentation in Capcom Classics Collection is far more impressive, but when it comes to the quality of the emulation, Taito Legends wins hands down. Load times are even shorter than they were in CCC, and the games look picture perfect with a little screen adjustment.

As far as the quality of the games themselves is concerned, Capcom Classics has the edge, but there are some fantastic titles on Taito's collection as well. Zoo Keeper (the REAL Zoo Keeper, not that crappy Bejeweled clone) is as viciously intense as its menagerie of beasts are vicious, and there's STILL nothing quite like it on any game system. Bubble Bobble is a huge improvement over the Playstation and Saturn versions released by Acclaim eight years ago, and Jungle Hunt is a fun side-scrolling action game even without the Tarzan-inspired main character.

Some of the games are duds, and yet others which WERE classics aren't included in the collection. Colony 7's a so-so shooter that combines elements from Atlantis and Missile Command, while Great Swordsman isn't great at all... it's got nothing going for it at all. Then there are the omissions... no Arkanoid, Bubble Symphony, or Space Dungeon makes Jess a very cranky boy.

It's a great half a collection. Hopefully, Sega will give us the other half sometime next year... I'll be the first in line to buy it.

JR

...Zoo Keeper?..I must be missing out, cause I thought it was just so-so..then again I haven't really gotten in depth with it.

I really hope they do a volume 2 and add some more games...would it be too much to ask for a REAL Arkanoid style controller???....I guess so, as only the NES had a dedictated controller for that great game!...anybody know of a way to make that happen on a PS2?

It's a great half a collection.  Hopefully, Sega will give us the other half sometime next year... I'll be the first in line to buy it.

JR

956610[/snapback]

If it has arcade perfect ports of Daytona USA, Daytona USA 2, Sega Rally, Sega Rally 2 and Sega Super GT... I can die a happy man. :ponder:

...the Sega Collection would be fantastic if it were actual arcade ports, not the 'sega ages' versions. I'm sure they're fun for some, but I want the real deal!

I too would have liked to see Darius..although who knows, perhaps they had a hard time making it a good game with only one screen length.

I hope that the companies continue to make the oldies gold again. Could you imagine Double Dragon, Renegade....a couple other choice goodies from the past. I suppose Renegade could make a future installment of Taito since it was, I believe, licensed by them.

Dude, Sega released the game in the United States.  Check the bottom of the box for proof.

JR

959024[/snapback]

Whoops. I was thinking if Sega would release a classic compilation with their racing titles... :ponder:

Yeah, Taito has more than enough material to make another compilation- Arkanoid, Puzzle Bobble, Battle Gear (sweet arcade racer)... but now that Square Enix bought Taito, I'd think that SQEnix would publish future Taito compilations... :!:

...I sure wish I could return the two lemons I bought last night, Midway Treasures One and the new 50th Anniversary from Namco!...

..the only thing stopping me is, and I'm sure this is a marketing ploy (conspiracies!!)...the Midway Treasures One is so so on the good games you remember, and the menu system takes too long....Super Sprint is almost unplayable with it's cars that accelerate automatically. But it's the only thing going for PS2, so what ya gonna do?...I think I'll keep it, but we'll see.

The new Namco 50th isn't worth it...the emulations are in fact, for Galaga and Ms PacMan, closer to the Jakks plug n play versions than the actual arcade!...they made some improvements with removing the lame graphic sidebars of the arcade to maximize play area, then they give you crummy emu's of the most popular stuff!...but the kicker is that they give you a pretty good Xevious, Mappy, Sky Kid and Rolling Thunder, so that pretty much makes it a keeper. I'm glad I have the original Museum for Galaga and Ms PacMan, smaller screens and all, they're better versions period, IMHO.

Still gonna track down the PS1 Museum versions 1 and 3 to get the REAL deal Galaga and Ms PacMan, though.

"Still gonna track down the PS1 Museum versions 1 and 3 to get the REAL deal Galaga and Ms PacMan, though."

You don't like the version that offers nicely done emulations of the originals so you're going to get old versions that offer ports of the originals? If you want accuracy you own the version that is the most accurate.

I should state that I'm not the most experienced with anything on that disc other than Pole Position I/II, but from my memory the new Namco disc is the superior version. My only gripe with it is long loading times exiting games, the small number of games, lack of bonus material, and that Galaga 88 doesn't have the option of continues like it originally did. I imagine that was an option that could be turned on and off and it's off by default on this disc with no way to enable it.

So i was disgreeing, not meaning to make my opinion sound like fact.

...which is why I'm not gonna get pissy like some folks!...it's just gaming, really.

However, unless you're a thirty something like myself, or have access to a real Ms Pac Man and Galaga machine with which to compare, your opinions are hard to take.

The older versions have long load times, but to me, as long as those load times are between games and not 'during' gameplay, that's acceptable to me. From what I hear, the original PS1 games are direct ports of those games, not emulations like the Namco 50th and Museum..plus they have an option to turn the TV sideways to have, in essence a PERFECT version of either game! Sounds good to me!

...and I have done side by side comparisons of the PS2 Museum against PS2 50th anniversary. The Ms Pac Man and Galaga games on the 50th are NOT closer to the arcade than the first Museum...the only thing is the size of the screen is more accurately depicted in the 50th anniversary. Gameplay is more important in my opinion, so I don't care if the first Museum has a slightly smaller screen size length wise. The versions of Ms Pac Man and Galaga on the 50th anniversary is in fact more similar to the Jakks plug n play games than the arcade!...I have those Jakks games as well, and have done the comparisons.

Mind you I'm keeping the 50th anniversary for a few reasons, mentioned in the previous post.

Most people could give a crap about having perfect arcade translation, but I grew up playing Ms Pac Man, not Jakks Ms Pac Man. They're not the same, and I know what I like. The Jakks games are easier as well.

I'd rank them like this: PS1 Museum, PS2 Museum, 50th anniversary. That's just me.

I don't see what you mean, these are the originals running under emulation. You can even use your old patterns in games like Pac-Man. They're identical to the original arcade versions which the PSOne Namco Museum series and the later N64, Dreamcast, and current generation console Namco Museums weren't. The ghost don't even move the same way in any of those in the Pac-Man games.

I've never played the Jakks plug and play versions. I have played most of these games in the arcade though, I just haven't had extensive access to anything besides the Pole Position series.

"However, unless you're a thirty something like myself, or have access to a real Ms Pac Man and Galaga machine with which to compare, your opinions are hard to take."

Do you have access to the original machines to do a direct comparison for anything such as Galaga (Wish I did)? I do with Pole Position I/II, and if the rest of the emulation is as accurate as it is for these two games I'm going to have to disagree. Not saying they play well though, they rather suck without pedals and a wheel.

Edited by Atariboy