IGNORED

Midway Arcade -> Atari 2600 port II

Cybergoth

Which of these Midway Arcades should be ported to the 2600?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these Midway Arcades should be ported to the 2600?

• Phantom II
    • Extra Bases
    • Space Encounters
    • Space Zap
    • Kickman
    • Robby Roto
    • Satan's Hollow
    • Domino Man
    • Kozmik Kroozr
    • Tron
    • Wacko

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hi there!

Since the first Midway Arcade Poll got criticized a lot (mainly because none of the classic *experts* here knew any of the games... :ponder: :lol:) this here now deals with the next chapter ('79-82) in Midways history ;)

(Some games from that period already saw a 2600 version: Solar Fox, Gorf, Omega Race & Wizard of Wor)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hey I knew them all :) Although they were of course games released when I was 8 or so.. so I barely played them before Space Invaders grabbed me by the throat. :P

As far as this new batch.. That would be funny if you did a Kickman before that other 2600 one gets released :lol:.. Space Zap is already done pretty much.. Space Encounters probably wouldn't be too much of a jump especially after doing Starfire, but I dunno.. it needs an overlay. Wacko sucks. Wasn't there a Robby Roto planned for the VCS back in the day? Or maybe I'm just imagining it. I've never played a Phantom II nor a Super Speed Race

Personally I think Satan's Hollow would be the most obvious translation. Especially in light of many other similar shooters already on the VCS. Also that Baseball one might be good. I'd like a good arcadey Baseball in the tradition of those types of games that goes one up better than Home Run did. :) So it's between those two. Hmmm. Ok. I choose SH. ;P

Satans Hollow all the way! Kickman would be my second choice.

962339[/snapback]

Satan's Hollow would be difficult as some of the configurations of birds have five or more independently-moving birds per scan line. I really don't see any way to avoid having that dissolve into a flickerfest.

Kickman would be interesting. The top part of the screen could be handled with a modified Galaxians kernel; the areas where the balloons fall to the left and right of the kickman's pile would have three sprites per line in the cases where an upward and downward balloon crossed paths; that shouldn't be too much of a problem, though, if one flickers the upward-moving balloon and the ones on the guy's head. Alternatively, one might be able to use the Ball to draw the balloons on the guy's head if the resulting blockiness wasn't considered too objectionable (too bad there's no "six pixels wide" mode for the Ball).

Satan's Hollow would be difficult as some of the configurations of birds have five or more independently-moving birds per scan line.  I really don't see any way to avoid having that dissolve into a flickerfest.

962376[/snapback]

You'd just have to work around this limitation, limiting the amount of birds on screen period... hence it wouldn't be arcade perfect...but what 2600 game was? :cool:

Satan's Hollow would be difficult as some of the configurations of birds have five or more independently-moving birds per scan line.  I really don't see any way to avoid having that dissolve into a flickerfest.

962376[/snapback]

You'd just have to work around this limitation, limiting the amount of birds on screen period... hence it wouldn't be arcade perfect...but what 2600 game was? :cool:

962413[/snapback]

Not to mention.. what's wrong with a flickerfest? It's the 2600 for crying out loud. Flicker happens! :D

Kickman would be interesting. The top part of the screen could be handled with a modified Galaxians kernel; the areas where the balloons fall to the left and right of the kickman's pile would have three sprites per line in the cases where an upward and downward balloon crossed paths

Well.. How did Mike Mika do it? And for that matter I wonder when he's gonna release it. I thought his Kickman port was already done :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My vote goes to Satan's Hollow all the way! I'd also love to see Domino Man and Wacko. It would be cool if someone could make an angled Wacko cartridge sort of like the arcade machine. I made a label for a mock-up 5200 Wacko Cartridge, even though it's not that great:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...ic=57214&st=250

• 2 months later...

as far as the controls, there is already a REAL solution.

The sears video arcade II controller has a joystick and a paddle

all in one, perfect for tron. (or heavy barrel or ikari warriors etc etc.)

or a stick + paddle velcroed would be a workable, less elegant, solution :-)

(oh, voted for tron :-) )

and its gotta have the music, use that mad new 2600 audio tech to get the music rad.

• 3 months later...
Hi there!

I've never played a Phantom II nor a Super Speed Race

Just removed the later from the options list, as I think it's just the U.S. import of Taitos (or Segas?) Monaco GP...

Greetings,

Manuel

Super Speed Race was originally done by Taito, but I doubt it's the same game as Monaco GP. Monaco GP was always from SEGA and was released as Monaco GP in US Arcades.

Kickman would be interesting. The top part of the screen could be handled with a modified Galaxians kernel

Don't think so:

kick.gif

See? Not only would it require different shapes for the Pacs and Ghosts, but also different colors. Also it is 8 balloons wide.

I think best case on the 2600 might be some Space Invaderish approach. Space Invader does shapes only, so one has to see how much color can be done. Maybe it'd work doing only 5 objects per row.

the areas where the balloons fall to the left and right of the kickman's pile would have three sprites per line in the cases where an upward and downward balloon crossed paths; that shouldn't be too much of a problem, though, if one flickers the upward-moving balloon and the ones on the guy's head.

I'd just flicker all moving balloons, having the player and the objects stacked on his head solid.

• 2 weeks later...
Berzerk/Combat style (single joystick): Berzerk for the Grid Bugs and MCP

This is precisely what I did with Gunfight (same problem / same solution) and I can't think of getting a single complaint regarding that ever - since 2000 :)

Combat for the tanks. This would be the most limiting, but almost certainly would have to be an option, just to cover all bases.

With some finetuned controls you can easily have a joystick moving the tank in 4 directions all while firing independently into 8 directions. Have a look at Paradroid for the C64, there you can move fullspeed left while firing blasts to the right, no problem.

Berzerk/Combat style (single joystick): Berzerk for the Grid Bugs and MCP

This is precisely what I did with Gunfight (same problem / same solution) and I can't think of getting a single complaint regarding that ever - since 2000 :)

Combat for the tanks. This would be the most limiting, but almost certainly would have to be an option, just to cover all bases.

With some finetuned controls you can easily have a joystick moving the tank in 4 directions all while firing independently into 8 directions. Have a look at Paradroid for the C64, there you can move fullspeed left while firing blasts to the right, no problem.

Without a spinner, it's not Tron. Why do you suppose so many people buy spinners for their MAME cabs, which are only good for two popular games (Tempest and Tron)? It's because those games are among the best ever made, and without spinners most won't even bother trying to play them.

I understand the resistance to using a non-standard control scheme, which is why I made Superbug playable with a joystick or DC, as some may not have a DC. So go ahead and do Combat/Berzerk style shooting, but you'd be committing an atrocity if you didn't also allow another control option - the joystick and driving controller. The problem is with operating one controller with each hand, so they must be kept still. I think all you really need to do is include some double-stick tape and some Velcro® with any cart sold, and let the user attach them to a fixed surface. Also, it might be tough using a CX-40, but there are plenty of aftermarket sticks out there with a button on the stick (I have one - I think it's a Wico.)