IGNORED

Converting NES pad to 7800 question

rockfistus

I tried converting an NES pad and failed....

I think the main reason is because in the directions I followed (The only ones I could find on the net) the diagram of the nes pad showed 2 resistors on the top-left of the NES pad that you are supposed to remove and replace with the Atari resistors. My pad didn't have any resistors up there......is this maybe a difference between UK and American pads?(I'm from the US, and I'm not even sure if the directions were UK or not, just a guess.)

Anyway I went ahead and gave it a shot ignoring the parts about the resistors since they didn't exist and ended up with an unresponsive pad.

Has anyone else run into this?

The resistors are actualliy in the board, they look like black strips, which is why you have to break the circuit at those points.

Here is a picture:

http://www.geocities.com/gjp57/nes-7800.htm

You don't have to sand off the resistors, just break the circuits around them.

I also failed the firs time, so I bought one from a fellow AA member. After seeing it in person, I was able to make a second one :)

Edited by Lord Helmet

The resistors are actualliy in the board, they look like black strips, which is why you have to break the circuit at those points.

Here is a picture:

http://www.geocities.com/gjp57/nes-7800.htm

You don't have to sand off the resistors, just break the circuits around them.

I also failed the firs time, so I bought one from a fellow AA member. After seeing it in person, I was able to make a second one :)

965883[/snapback]

Trust me when I say there was nothing there at all! I broke the rest of the circuits but there just wasn't anything at that top-left portion. :ponder:

On the diagram you posted it's completely obvious as you can see the circuits leading up to that point where the resistors are at, unfortunately not on my pad. I'll dig it out and try to get a picture of it later. Just bought Mario Kart DS so I'm not real worried about it right now :twisted: hehe BTW, it is an original NES pad too, not an off-brand or anything.

Edited by rockfistus

Not to change the subject to much but does anybody know/think that a SNES controller could be converted to be used on the 7800. I think the NES pad is better than the 7800 pad but I like the SNES pad much better and was wondering if they could be converted for the 7800 like the NES pad. They are much more compfotable to use than the NES pads.

Allan

This link has instructions for both:

http://www.geocities.com/gjp57/nes-7800.txt

966641[/snapback]

Sweet! That's the same instructions I was following but this one is an updated version, thanks dude.

---Allan-

I'm sure it's possible but good luck finding instructions for doing it. The SNES controller functions a bit different than the others....see here:

List of controller connections

Not to change the subject to much but does anybody know/think that a SNES controller could be converted to be used on the 7800. I think the NES pad is better than the 7800 pad but I like the SNES pad much better and was wondering if they could be converted for the 7800 like the NES pad. They are much more compfotable to use than the NES pads.

Allan

966657[/snapback]

I've been thinking about this too. You would think it would be pretty close to the same thing, since the pinouts are the same on the nes and snes. I just need to pop open a spare snes pad and check it out.

Allan

966657[/snapback]

I've been thinking about this too. You would think it would be pretty close to the same thing, since the pinouts are the same on the nes and snes. I just need to pop open a spare snes pad and check it out.

969340[/snapback]

What my next project is most likely going to be is to buy a couple of those overpriced Messiah wireless nes pads and try to get them to work with the 7800. I don't know if the turbo buttons would ever work but wireless would be nice :D

Messiah nes pads (currently on backorder :( )