IGNORED

GP2X first units F*ed?

remowilliams

I just got this from Lik-Sang about my GP2X preorder :? :? :? :(

------------

You are receiving this e-mail because you have pre-ordered a GP2X at Lik-Sang.

Immediately following the recent release of the GP2X in Korea and the UK, reports and posts cropped up by the hundreds around the Internet, highlighting many inconsistencies and flaws with the final product.

We have therefore decided NOT to ship any units before the flaws are fixed, which effectively means there will be no release at Lik-Sang before 2006.

Please read our full report on our web site:

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3742

In view of the above, we have cancelled your order and you will receive a refund within 48h. We hope that this is satisfactory to you, because we simply didn't want to hold your money for such a long time, especially with Christmas coming up.

Yeah I was just about to post about this. Seems the release is not going to well.

• Practically many videos are not playable without capping them.

• There are reports of Xvid playing too fast, and DivX sound not in sync with video.

• There is a battery problem, 2 hours battery-life with standard batteries only.

• There is no power supply or charger included with the GP2X.

• Stereo jack sinks on some units, because of poor soldering.

• The speakers are mono instead of stereo.

• Headphone channels are switched, left is not left.

• The action buttons are too small. Your thumb can cover all four.

• There is a large joystick deadzone (that can be fixed with a "mod" according to a distributor).

• Uneven color distribution on the screen and other LCD problems.

• Long boot time (28 seconds).

• Compatibility problems with some brands, types or sizes of Flash Cards.

• USB Connection and incompatibility problems with Windows XP (apparently fixed with latest Firmware).

Furthermore, no news are available on the TV-Out cable or the GP2X power supply that have yet to be released.

I guess my PSP is still gonna rule the roost for a little while.

Edited by Shannon

Yeah, Lik-Sang cancelled my pre-order too... still not entirely sure what I should do here. GPH hasn't announced any "2nd edition" GP2X, so Lik-Sang might be waiting for something that will never exist. I'm seriously considering just ordering from somewhere else instead.

It should also be pointed out that a lot of the problems they mention are firmware problems which will eventually be ironed out as GPH releases updates... The only issues that I'd actually be concerned about are the headphone jack soldering, the supposed "joystick dead-zone", and the stereo mix-ups... everything else mentioned is probably just a temporary software problem.

--Zero

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do at this point either. I was REALLY looking forward to the GP2X.

So it's tough to try and sort out - is it real BIG problems that need to be addressed in hardware, can any problems be addressed in future firmware revs, or is it the inevitable floods of the ITS BORKEN!!@! crowd. :?

It should also be noted that there is a little more to the story that Lik-Sang doesn't actually mention in their article. It seems that Lik-Sang never actually placed an order with GPH in the first place.... the idea being that they'd wait and see how many pre-orders they got before they ordered. However, GPH is having some difficulties in manufacturing, and a second run of hardware isn't expected to happen for a while (ie, retaillers won't get them until January or so). Many have speculated that Lik-Sang is simply unable to get any units at all at this point, and is using the hardware/software issues as a cover-up for their own blunders.

Also, there were apparently a number of issues with the earlier GP32 BLU+ unit, which caused Lik-Sang some problems, so they may be a little put off with GPH and playing things cautious to avoid too many customer complaints.

But deadzones are usually software issues (assuming it is analog).

It's not analog. From what I've heard, the dead-zone issue is somewhat of an opinion. Some people say they like it the way it is.

It's worth mentioning that just about all the issues will certainly be fixed by future firmware releases. No one knows how long that will take, however:

• Practically many videos are not playable without capping them.

• There are reports of Xvid playing too fast, and DivX sound not in sync with video.

• Compatibility problems with some brands, types or sizes of Flash Cards.

• USB Connection and incompatibility problems with Windows XP (apparently fixed with latest Firmware).

All the above issues are software concerns and will surely be fixed.

• There is a battery problem, 2 hours battery-life with standard batteries only.

From what I've heard, the battery life is hampered by the firmware, which is constantly running the GP2X at the highest speed setting. What is supposed to happen, is that the system should change it's clock-speed as necessary in order to conserve power. Assuming this is the case, it would likely be fixed in a future firmware version. It has also been suggested that reports of battery life are skewed by people using crappy batteries.

• Long boot time (28 seconds).

This might be due to some poor configuration choices (potentially the ramdisk support in the Linux kernel) causing the system to boot up much slower than it would otherwise. I would imagine that the boot time will improve with future firmware releases, although "instant on" might never happen.

• There is no power supply or charger included with the GP2X.

Well, so what? The GBA never came with a power supply or a charger. The GP2X uses regular batteries, so it doesn't need any specific charger anyways.

• Stereo jack sinks on some units, because of poor soldering.

Yes, this is a problem with the hardware. I would hope that GPH would adjust their manufacturing process to address this issue, but only time will tell.

• The speakers are mono instead of stereo.

• Headphone channels are switched, left is not left.

These might be hardware problems, but some people think that this can be changed with software, and might be due to a bug in the firmware (which would of course be fixed eventually). Apparently, the GP32 had problems with reversed channels as well.

• The action buttons are too small. Your thumb can cover all four.

• There is a large joystick deadzone (that can be fixed with a "mod" according to a distributor).

These two are opinions really. I doubt GPH will change any of the controls, so if you don't like the way they work, you'll probably just have to put up with them.

• Uneven color distribution on the screen and other LCD problems.

I'm not entirely sure what problems this point entails. I've heard that there was a firmware issue that caused a white vertical line on the left side of the screen, and that this bug has already been fixed.

--Zero

like i said, got look at all the post at www.gp32x.com, one of the largest, if not the largest, english speaking forum for GP32 and GP2x stuff on the web and see all the complaint. GEE THERE AREN"T MANY, especially hardware related.

And to all the people that complain about the GP32 but don't actually own one, this is to the people that bitch about the joystick. There's nothing wrong with them. The initial run had problems but has been fixed for years. Also, the BLU+ issue with Lik Sang was caused because GP changed manufacturers on their LCD screens, which cause the SOFTWARE to have a white bar on the screen, THIS HAS BEEN FIXED IN MOST IF NOT ALL THE APPLICATIONS and was never really a big deal to begin with.

And to all the people that complain about the GP32 but don't actually own one, this is to the people that bitch about the joystick.  There's nothing wrong with them.  The initial run had problems but has been fixed for years.  Also, the BLU+ issue with Lik Sang was caused because GP changed manufacturers on their LCD screens, which cause the SOFTWARE to have a white bar on the screen,  THIS HAS BEEN FIXED IN MOST IF NOT ALL THE APPLICATIONS and was never really a big deal to begin with.

971799[/snapback]

I don't know what the heck your talking about. My joystick HAS trouble with diagonals, and I've seen enough reports to conclude it wasn't just a fluke. Regardless if it was supposedly FIXED mine still does not work. If your so sure it's not a problem I'd happily trade mine with yah.

As for the BLU+ I've also seen enough reports to make me question whether to get one, and it's not just the white bar on the screen. There are other issues related to it that I've seen mentioned in the actual changelogs of emulators.

I'm just reporting this for those interested to take into considering. This is not something I made up. My GP32 does it... OK? :roll:

:x :x

As for lack of reports, maybe that is because the GP2X is a little slow getting out. Apparently they have been having problems getting the things sent.

I'm still a little confused about the Lik Sang issue. One report I saw said Lik Sang never even pre-ordered. But the Lik Sang site itself implies they got tired of testing every single unit before sending it out. Which sounds to me like they had some.

Edited by Shannon

It seems that someone has already released a patch that fixes the stereo sound issue... it's not a firmware update, but a program that you can run before playing MP3's that corrects the channels, so apparently this IS a software issue rather than a hardware one I suppose.

Also, Lik-Sang has still not refunded my money, and still has the GP2X listed in my account as being on pre-order, shipping first quarter 2006... Maybe they're just slow with the refunds?

--Zero

Also, Lik-Sang has still not refunded my money, and still has the GP2X listed in my account as being on pre-order, shipping first quarter 2006... Maybe they're just slow with the refunds?

--Zero

972128[/snapback]

They refunded my money the day after I got their email. They did cancel my order as well, I checked my account.

I ordered from GBAX, though I don't know when they'll ship.

Yep, my refund showed up today... so now I have a ton of money sitting in my PayPal account.

I'm still not sure whether I should just go ahead and put in an order with GBAX or GP32Z, or wait a while to see if there are hardware changes...

--Zero

I'm still not sure whether I should just go ahead and put in an order with GBAX or GP32Z, or wait a while to see if there are hardware changes...

--Zero

972829[/snapback]

Well GBAX promptly replied to my inquiry about a shipping date. They said early to mid December when the next shipment arrives.

And all the reports I've seen on the forums are pretty minor, except for a few people having the headphone hack come loose. Soooo.... (crosses fingers) :)

And to all the people that complain about the GP32 but don't actually own one, this is to the people that bitch about the joystick.  There's nothing wrong with them.  The initial run had problems but has been fixed for years.  Also, the BLU+ issue with Lik Sang was caused because GP changed manufacturers on their LCD screens, which cause the SOFTWARE to have a white bar on the screen,  THIS HAS BEEN FIXED IN MOST IF NOT ALL THE APPLICATIONS and was never really a big deal to begin with.

971799[/snapback]

I don't know what the heck your talking about. My joystick HAS trouble with diagonals, and I've seen enough reports to conclude it wasn't just a fluke. Regardless if it was supposedly FIXED mine still does not work. If your so sure it's not a problem I'd happily trade mine with yah.

As for the BLU+ I've also seen enough reports to make me question whether to get one, and it's not just the white bar on the screen. There are other issues related to it that I've seen mentioned in the actual changelogs of emulators.

I'm just reporting this for those interested to take into considering. This is not something I made up. My GP32 does it... OK? :roll:

:x :x

As for lack of reports, maybe that is because the GP2X is a little slow getting out. Apparently they have been having problems getting the things sent.

I'm still a little confused about the Lik Sang issue. One report I saw said Lik Sang never even pre-ordered. But the Lik Sang site itself implies they got tired of testing every single unit before sending it out. Which sounds to me like they had some.

972077[/snapback]

I challenge you to find a post within a years time about faulty joystick, hell make it 2 years. Like i said, with the BLU the problem was fixed, what type of GP32 do you have? also, BLU+ issue has been fixed for a long time as well, so find me a post somewhere, doesn't have to be GP32x.com, of problems within a couple months after the release of the BLU+ showing it is still a problem. The only problem with the BLU+ is that the coder has to code a version for original GP32 BLU,FLU, NLU units and a seperate blu+ or input an option for BLU+ compatability. THATS IT.

And Lik-sang has a history of blowing everything out of proportion, just look at the GP32, when the BLU+ came out they abandoned it because of the LCD issue saying it was faulty when it wasn't and the issue was quickly handled. Boo hoo for lik sang, good news for GBAX and other GP32 retailers as the problem was quickly identified and fixed. And for abandoning the original GP32, i'm suprised Gamepark would even want to deal with them.

Edited by JagFan422

And to all the people that complain about the GP32 but don't actually own one,

971799[/snapback]

It's probably worth pointing out that the GP32 and GP2X are made by two entirely different companies. They happen to have the same name. But it's not unlike saying complaints about the Atari Flashback are not valid because the Atari 2600 was a good system.

You can defend the GP32 all you want, it's got nothing to do with the GP2X. (Two totally different devices made by two totally different companies.)

Lik-sang themselves attempt to explain this:

"Today there are two Gameparks. There is Gamepark Holding, the guys behind the GP2X, and there is Gamepark, the folks behind the XGP device. There are currently rumours, that the XGP is now being completely redesigned and it will be released early next year. If these two Gameparks are connected, which one's the good one, and if they still stick together is not known (but highly doubted). The original Gamepark, inventor of the GP32, is gone for good."

I challenge you to find a post within a years time about faulty joystick, hell make it 2 years.  Like i said, with the BLU the problem was fixed,  what type of GP32 do you have?  also, BLU+ issue has been fixed for a long time as well, so find me a post somewhere, doesn't have to be GP32x.com, of problems within a couple months after the release of the BLU+ showing it is still a problem.  The only problem with the BLU+ is that the coder has to code a version for original GP32 BLU,FLU, NLU units and a seperate blu+ or input an option for BLU+ compatability.  THATS IT.

And Lik-sang has a history of blowing everything out of proportion, just look at the GP32, when the BLU+ came out they abandoned it because of the LCD issue saying it was faulty when it wasn't and the issue was quickly handled. Boo hoo for lik sang, good news for GBAX and other GP32 retailers as the problem was quickly identified and fixed.  And for abandoning the original GP32, i'm suprised Gamepark would even want to deal with them.

972955[/snapback]

You must not be paying attention to my posts. I have an original side lit GP32. I know the joystick problem was big enough to have a post on how to fix it stickied in some GP32 threads. I never saw any indication that this problem was fixed with the Blu+ so I had no reason to think it was. But if you say it is I'll have to take yer word on it.

I'm not exactly too thrilled about having to buy a new one (the BLU). Knowing the problems I have with my GP32. I've seen numerous posts as well complaining about the BLU. Enough to make me wonder about it.

For those who are actually curious here are a couple links. Note they are both dated jun 2005. :P

link 1

link 2

Regardless with the GP2X out once they get the kinks straightened out it will be far more worth my money to go with that unless the price of the BLU drops significantly.

Edited by Shannon

well with link 1 i think you pretty much proved to me you DON'T have a GP32 or you'd know the "clicks" are the contacts, just the like the joystick of the Neo Geo Pocket, and link 1 is not about faulty joystick at all IN FACT ALOT OF THE POST PRAISE THE JOYSTICK. GEE you really proved me wrong. The clicking is supposed to be there and yes the joystick takes some time getting used to, that doesn't mean its faulty. And just in case you were interested, i started my own thing asking the community to be honest and share their experiences with faulty GP32s, so far nobody with a blu or blu+ has come forward with any issues. Like I said, it was sorted out.

And whats a side lit unit? As far as i'm aware, there's a Front lit unit, a Non Lit unit, and a back lit unit.

Edited by JagFan422

not one! sep 2005

but two! last post jul 2nd 2005

and three! mar 2005

and four!! mar 2005

Gee I can't stop counting mar 2005

What! More???

What could this be? A poll where more people had problems than not? :?: :?: :?: Apr 2005

A disatisfied customer? Can't be!!

Must be my imagination

I'm starting to loose count.

And I don't even keep up on this kind of thing like some people claim. Are you sure you have one?

Bangs head against wall.... Starts talking to wall... Has more interesting conversation with wall.

Sigh.. This is the second bonehead response I've run into this month. Intelligence must be in short supply this time of year.

Like I said. I'd be glad to trade mine with you.. You'll quickly see that mine is difficult to move diagonally up/right consistently.

Well I think you just proved that you do not know how to use that rock on your shoulders. Or you'd been able to put two -n- two together and figure it out. The problem is that when pushed in certain diagonal directions both contacts do not go down. That is why the guy made the thread. To show a possible solution to it, and yes many people stated they liked the joystick. I'm glad things worked out for that small handful of people (what 5-6?)

You musta skipped the 1st two responses mentioning problems with the diagonals. :dunce: Nor post #11. :roll:

The original thread I ran across way long time ago back around february of this year had a different solution that required one to open the GP32 and put a piece of cardboard in it. Like I said earlier this was obviously enough of a problem for them to sticky the thread.

I took a close look at mine and it looks like the SHAFT of the stick makes contact with the edges of the circle before both contacts press down. On top of that the little stub that holds the joystick sits a little off center (up/right).

I never said anything about the "clicks" dunno where in the world you got that one from. :roll:

If you have a hard time believing it, then it's your damn problem. The GP32 I have is pretty much one of the earlier units. Front lit, side lit whatever. It's a FLU if that makes you happier. But I think you understood what I was saying.

What a hardhead..

Oh, and please prove to us that you actually own a BLU.

That way we know you really are speaking from experience. ;)

:P

well with link 1 i think you pretty much proved to me you DON'T have a GP32

973472[/snapback]

post-3211-1133344875_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shannon

and my original arguement was with the BLU models, i stated the issue was fixed. lets see, the post you pointed are not not blu issues, they're the old NLU or FLU units. Also, I never said i owned a blu. I own a FLU, but I've also owned an NLU which was perfect as well, i guess i'm lucky.

The fact of the matter is this post and your comments are trashing a miniscul problem. Some units had problems yes, none that i'm aware of the blu and blu+ with the diagonals, the flu and nlu yes. But the PSP also had problems with pixels being dead or stuck.

Also visit GP32x.com, i started a thread asking people to be honest about their problems, any with the GP32, so far out of 15 replies, no BLU or BLU+ problems, and the diagonals are from NLU and FLUs.

Like i said before, the problem was fixed with the BLU and BLU+. So quite showing stuff concerning the original FLU and NLU units.

EDIT: also, your SMC is in the unit backwards. The label sticks on the front and folds over top to the back with only 1/4" of the label showing on the back.

Edited by JagFan422

Blah, blah, blah, blah. I provide the requested links and then you start changing your tune.

Dude... I never said there were any problems specifically with the blu, although the posts that I provided links for would imply otherwise.

I just said that MY GP32 has issues with the diagonals and that it was big enough issue that on one forum they stickied the topic. One link I provided even had a poll where MORE reported problems with diagonals than not. It was a 2005 thread. The nice thing about that poll is it broke it down into detail (blu, flu, non). And yes more were reported with the FLU than the BLUE. Something I NEVER denied.

At least with the PSP if I have dead pixel issues I can return it to the store until I get a new one. No need to worry about paying shipping, mailing it back, waiting for a return, etc. Dead pixels are common with TFT displays, it aint anything new.

If anything this will show anyone interested to make sure they get a BLU instead of a FLU or non-light.

Thank you for FINALLY realizing what I've been saying along.

Hopefully this already beaten to death horse can die now.

Who carries the BLU anyways? Everywhere I look seems to have stopped carrying it. Hmm lik-sang seems to still carry it. Can I trust them? :lol:

Anywho... What's the highest you can overclock yours?

And what emulators do you know of are actually compiled for the Blu? I'm mostly interested in the Atari 800/ST emulators. But I'd like to know which ones you've used.

Wanna do some research in case the GP2X problems do not get ironed out quickly. That thing sure can suck the life out of batteries.

EDIT: also, your SMC is in the unit backwards. The label  sticks on the front and folds over top to the back with only 1/4" of the label showing on the back.

974187[/snapback]

Knowing me I probably put the label on backwards. :lol: The card was reading just fine before I took that picture.

Edited by Shannon

If you two are done, perhaps we can get back on topic :P

Apparently, GPH has recalled the first 500 units released. At least, that's what I'm told this link is all about... I tried tossing it through babelfish, but to no avail. The recall is due to issues with the LCD, and I'm also told that they plan on fixing the battery life and 2GB SD card issues in December.

I hate to say it, but I guess I made the right choice by waiting... I sure hope things go better for GPH in 2006 :(

--Zero

Who, what, huh? Looks around innocently. |icon_innocent.gif

If that's true about the GP2X, that's a shame cause I'd really like to get away from relying on my PSP. Especially with sony being up to their usual dirty tricks.

Hopefully everything will be fixed by the time I'm ready to purchase one.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got my GP2X unit today. So far everything looks good :)

I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet. But some first impressions:

-Build quality is surprisingly good. The power switch could be better though.

-Screen looks very nice. Bright and crisp

-Joystick is decent, but needs some sort of "grippy" rubber on its surface. This will be the first thing I add to it.

-Boot seemed pretty quick. I didn't time it, but it didn't annoy me either, so that's a good sign.

I loaded a800 on it so far, and even though its a real early dirty port, it seems to run like a champ. Booted Dropzone from cassette and ROF from disk. Sweet!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The headphone jack doesn't work. Not one bit. It's attached very solidly and not about to fall in, just doesn't give audio.

So it's going back. Bummer :(

Everything else oddly enough worked great. Screen was beautiful, joystick worked just fine, buttons/casing/housing all good. The emus, etc. that I played with were very, very cool.

I have another one on order from Dynasim. If I somehow have an issue this time around, they are at least in the US.