IGNORED

New Adventure II 5200 demo

Cafeman

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200d...dventureII.html

The game looks to be done in December -- here is a more recent demo of it for you to try out on your favorite 5200 emulator. I use Atari800win, which seems to closely mimic how the game runs on the real machine. But I've heard people like other emus like Jum for example -- some seem to act differently (worse!) than what I use, so fair warning there.

There are still a few ugly things I'm investigating and fixing up, and a few things that aren't turned on yet.

If you spot any problems or ugly things, you would help me to fix them by emailing or posting here a screenshot or description! If you are especially adventurous, I'll tell you that if you use your emulator's debugger, location $20 is the current screen's number.

Feedback is great,I wanna get this thing done!

(_)3

Edited by Cafeman

http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200d...dventureII.html

Feedback is great,I wanna get this thing done!

(_)3

972348[/snapback]

Wow! This runs much better in the emulator. Totally playable...feels just like a sequel to the original ought. The "adrenaline rush" you get when you kill a dragon or encounter the troll adds some variety to the character movement, I like it. The "pile o' dirt" you can sling into the water to make a land bridge is neat (I'm assuming there are more of those around somewhere...?). I almost wish I hadn't tried it - you're going to make me buy a 5200. :)

Why is it that 5200 emulators seem to suck compaired to 2600 emulators?!

I first loaded up some Virtual Super System. The game starts up with a constant hum.

So, I loaded up MESS. I saw things in Virtual Super System that I don't see in mess. Such as text saying something like "with permission from atari corp" or something. Wasn't there also a title screen?! I don't see it in MESS.

Game does look decent so far. It's very hard so far too. Them dragons are fast.

Atari800WinPlus is the best 8-bit emulator currently, though Atari++ is a close second.

MESS, VSS and Jum all work somewhat less well than Atari800. I wouldnt consider any of them nearly as accurate as Atari800Win right now.

I did notice that pressing * crashes the game, but other than that, I cant find anything I would call a bug.

Will there be difficulty levels? It would be nice if there was an easy level where the thief and dragon didnt appear so much.

Steve

Why is it that 5200 emulators seem to suck compaired to 2600 emulators?!

I first loaded up some Virtual Super System. The game starts up with a constant hum.

So, I loaded up MESS. I saw things in Virtual Super System that I don't see in mess. Such as text saying something like "with permission from atari corp" or something. Wasn't there also a title screen?! I don't see it in MESS.

972857[/snapback]

I used "Virtural 5200" [sic] v 0.77 by Daniel Boris, with the -limit switch to slow it down to match the 5200's speed. The last version of the game had many problems in this emulator, but the new version works really well. I do get that buzzing sound, though.

I noticed something odd this last time I played it. Just as I cross the big bridge to the twisty maze, there was a bush that looked for all the world like it had a dragon hiding inside of it. This was in the upper left corner of the screen. There were two circles where eyes might be, and a tail hanging out the bottom. It completely disappeared as I crossed the bridge, so I'm assuming this is a bug?

is there any chance you'll release this as an Atari 800 cart?

Will the A8 version be far behind? 

==> The answer is that it is planned, but I haven't spent 1 minute attempting it yet. As a disk image, it wouldn't take too much effort, but as a cart (which everybody wants!) it is tricky due to the difference between A8 and 5200 ROM addressing once you get past 16K ROM (Adv II is 32K ROM and it is PACKED FULL). If you want to play it now, and you own a 5200, I suggest you get the 5200 version. Maybe when the A8 version comes out, you could sell your 5200 copy to someone and buy the A8 version then. Or buy both! :love:

The "pile o' dirt" you can sling into the water to make a land bridge is neat (I'm assuming there are more of those around somewhere...?). 

==> It is supposed to be a wood plank, and you make them yourself. Try touching logs with the sword to get a new one.

Will there be difficulty levels? It would be nice if there was an easy level where the thief and dragon didnt appear so much.

==> I think it's too easy. :P There will be several difficulty levels, mixed and matched with different mazes too. In the next demo I show, which will probably be at the end of this upcoming weekend, I'll make sure to give you a hard, medium, and easy level to pick from.

I did notice that pressing * crashes the game, but other than that, I cant find anything I would call a bug.

Use the #7 key instead of the * on Atari800win. It's the emulator, it's done that for a while now. I forgot about that until you mentioned it, I just trained myself to press 7 instead. I haven't seen it crash on the real system.

I noticed something odd this last time I played it. Just as I cross the big bridge to the twisty maze, there was a bush that looked for all the world like it had a dragon hiding inside of it. This was in the upper left corner of the screen. There were two circles where eyes might be, and a tail hanging out the bottom. It completely disappeared as I crossed the bridge, so I'm assuming this is a bug?

==> That sounds strange. What you are supposed to see there is the Troll taking a nap. That's where he goes to nap -- he has a sleep cycle, often after getting scared by a dragon he'll sleep for a while. He sleeps too much in the current demo though.

If you have time, please keep playing it -- both game variations -- and report to me any errors!

Been playing this extensively...and I have a few things to mention, that seem to conflict with what is being said here. I am playing this on Atari800win Plus. And for starters there are 2 bugs I found. One is that for no apparent reason, the dragon's roar will just stop playing, but all other sound effects will still work. Then later on the dragon's roar will come back. This has happened for all three dragons I have seen in the game. I assume the colors are just off in emulation as the keys look different colorwise in that they look like a Yellow and Green keys. But the castles both look to be the same color in the emulator?

Second bug is that I will see a sprite flicker on several screens at the far edges both left, right, and upper left and upper right corners when traveling from screen to screen. I usually see either a dragon or the troll. And I have even seen these sprites with dragons that I know I just killed.

As for the troll...I have only seem him in the sleep cycle twice ever. And he usually was only asleep for about 10 seconds at the most. I personally feel the troll shows up way too often. I also think the dragons are too fast. Many of the screens do no give you much space to avoid them such as some of the maze screens and a few of the screens with the logs. I have yet to beat the game as the troll really just shows up too much for my liking. In addition, how do you explain the troll in the Green castle when I just got the key and got in there? And the Minotaur? What is he supposed to be doing? He just goes straight across the screen with a short 2 second pause. He does travel upwards screen to screen...but he is very easy to avoid and doesn't present a challenge. What does he do? I think he just takes you back to the beginning of the maze when you touch him?

I don't mean to be over critical of this...and you know Ron that I absolutely loved Koffi...I am just making sure that what I'm seeing is normal or some oddness with the emulator?

I do think the disappering roar sound and sprite flicker are glitches... The rest I'm just not sure about.

I will play more later tonight, but this is what I've found so far.

Wow, I really didn't mean for this to sound so negative. I really love what I seeing so far. But I do find the troll to be over annoying and too frequent. I also wish that we could travel on the green sections of the grass in the mazes instead of just the paths. this would allow some more movement to avoid the dragons or troll. I also wish we could walk through the wavering grass or bushes on the other screens. I can understand the logs blocking movement..but the waving grass shouldn't prevent movement. I could see maybe making you move slower through it..but not a complete obstacle. I think I mentioned about that once before in a very earlier build of this over a year ago. Just curious if these are things that can be changed? Only ideas...but I do have this on my X-mas wish list!!!

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

I also wish that we could travel on the green sections of the grass in the mazes instead of just the paths. this would allow some more movement to avoid the dragons or troll. I also wish we could walk through the wavering grass or bushes on the other screens. I can understand the logs blocking movement..but the waving grass shouldn't prevent movement. I could see maybe making you move slower through it..but not a complete obstacle.

I think that sounds like a good idea.

I haven't played it that much. I am very impressed with what I've seen so far. Great work Square Trio!

I have another suggestion...could we move the dragons after we kill them? You can kill a dragon and the dragon's body be in the way where you can't pass through. If you implemented the suggestion by Cro§Bow then maybe this wouldn't be needed.

I only played for a few minutes, and really liked what I saw - very cool :)

Though the first thing that struck me is that your square moves too slowly, or too smoothly, or something. It's just a little *off* somehow, compared to the original. I realize this game is a beast all it's own, but at the same time, the difference was very immediately noticeable.

Edited by Laner

Feedback noted, and keep it coming... the troll is indeed on "full blast" in the demo and the minotaur will indeed home in on you more, and he will do various tricks to you depending on the difficulty setting -- throw you out of the maze, place you on another maze screen, and actually change the hedge maze.

I'm looking into the other stuff , but I think you shouldn't be allowed to move dead dragon carcasses since you couldn't in Adventure 2600. If you trap yourself that way, it forces you to revive to a checkpoint, and the dragons come to life. Oh yeah, the sword can be switched left to right in the final game, thus the dragons will be easier to kill there.

I actually disagree about being allowed to move over the background mazes in the hedges . What is the point of a maze where you can jump over the 'walls' ? Concerning the plants, maybe I could make you move slower if you walked over those .. hmm ... any other thoughts concerning this?

ALSO ... remember that the A8 version will NOT have a box like the 5200 version has. More info to come, more to come!

WHy no box love for the 8bit version? Just stick the cart in the same box :)

I tried it under Atari800win - The troll came on the screen and took the sword making some kind of whoosing sound. A few screens later the red Dragon showed up - when he opened his mouth to eat me he made the same sound as the Troll taking the sword on another screen - Is that the correct sound to hear? Someone mentioned the Dragons 'roar' and that did not sound like a roar :)