IGNORED

Getting to know you....Atari fans

Sayton

Well, I've decided to do a little research and figured why not do it with something I love: Atari? But it's not just about Atari, it's about you as well. Basically here's the deal: I'm not as hardcore as alot of you are about the 2600, then again I might play it alot more than others. Who knows? But for the elite I want to know: WHY? If any of you don't mind some questions and answering them that'd be great. I want to compile some info and see what likes/dislikes you all have and what differences there are among us.

Please note I WILL NOT ask for your name. That's just not cool (some people don't wanna give names over the net and I totally understand).

1) How old are you?

2) What sex are you?

3) When did you get an Atari?

4) When did you become involved with the Atari? (i.e. you wanted to play this over newer systems at the time or today).

5) Why the 2600? What does it offer to YOU that other systems, whether old or new, don't?

6) What drink keeps you going? (in case you spend long hours on the 2600).

7) How many hours a day or at a time do you play the Atari?

8) How many days a week do you spend on it?

9) Your top 3-5 games. WHY these choices?

10) Do you play any other systems besides the 2600?

11) How do you view gaming of today as compared to the 70's/80's?

12) Do you usually just play the 2600 alone or have someone play with you? (If so, is it a relative or friend?)

13) Finally, do you or have you ever tried to turn someone to the "Atari side"?

I just thought of these questions off the top of my head. If any of you could answer these questions it'd be great. I'm only 23 and I know some of you are older than me, so I've got to know why you still come back to this great system (everyone has their reasons, I just want to know yours). Thanks alot!

1) How old are you?

2) What sex are you?

Male last I checked.

1980 or so

4) When did you become involved with the Atari? (i.e. you wanted to play this over newer systems at the time or today).

1980, at the time the VCS was still fairly new.

5) Why the 2600? What does it offer to YOU that other systems, whether old or new, don't?

Nostalgia mostly. It was my first cart based system.

Nothing specific

Depends on my mood. A lot of days I don't play more than a few minutes, but once in a while I'll spend most of the day on it.

It depends on th week. Generally only a couple, near holidays, less.

Sssnake, Space Invaders, Asteroids. They were the first games that I got for the system.

Lots of them: Colecovision, Xbox, Deamcast, MSX(1), NES, PS2, SNES, COCO3, ...

There aren't so many of those "Pong" systmes around anymore. I miss those :sad:

12) Do you usually just play the 2600 alone or have someone play with you? (If so, is it a relative or friend?)

None of my frieds play games that far back in history.

Not really.

>> 1) How old are you?

>> 2) What sex are you?

db :ponder:

>> 3) When did you get an Atari?

The first time? 1982. A Coleco Gemini. I didn't get a genu-swine Atari VCS 'til '84, then moved on to Atari computers in '85.

The second time was in 2002 after years of maniacally collecting emulators and eventually deciding it just wasn't a total substitute for the real thing. (I still play with emus tho, particularly on my PDA -- 2600 on the go!)

>> 4) When did you become involved with the Atari? (i.e. you wanted to play this over newer systems at the time or today).

Again, the first time? 1982. At the time I could choose from Colecovision, Intellivision or Atari, and I chose Atari. I'm not sure why, as I didn't really know anyone else with an Atari, yet I'd played both CV and 'telly prior to that. I guess it was all the ads. :)

The second time, again in 2002, after deciding emulation wasn't enough and I wanted the real thing. I scored a nice bundle cheap.

>> 5) Why the 2600? What does it offer to YOU that other systems, whether old or new, don't?

A rich history with fascinating people and some of the greatest games ever to grace the small screen. Atari was it. Bushnell started the industry with Pong and blew it wide open with the VCS. Nothing else compared. Other systems had their strong suits, but Atari had the magic.

>> 6) What drink keeps you going? (in case you spend long hours on the 2600).

Tea and Red Bull.

>> 7) How many hours a day or at a time do you play the Atari?

Very few. Maybe once a week if I'm lucky. Most of the time I just don't have the time that I'd like to spend on it.

>> 8) How many days a week do you spend on it?

See above.

>> 9) Your top 3-5 games. WHY these choices?

Yeesh. Tough choice. If I had to go with a reactionary first-thought-in-my-head response, I'd say (in no particular order)

- Tunnel Runner. Maze games were cool. (I liked Maze Craze) 3D maze games that put you right down in the maze were awesome. It was a fun game, and it was very impressive -- great visuals, fast and varied action. Just great.

- Montezuma's Revenge. Awesome platformer with lots of screens and great graphics -- tons of fun.

- Keystone Kapers. Great graphics in that one, some fun run 'n jump action. It got a little repetative but there was just something about it that kept you going.

- Spike's Peak/Ghost Manor. I know what you're thinking. Seriously? Yeah, sure, maybe there's a lot of nostalgia tied up in this -- it was one of the first games I got back in 1982/83 that I played on the Gemini -- but two games in one double-ended card was just the shiznit back then, and I really liked the games, too.

- Warlords. Although I rarely had friends over to play it with me, I still loved this game and played it frequently. It's just one of those games you never tire of.

>> 10) Do you play any other systems besides the 2600?

Yup. My favourite systems would be the 2600 and Colecovision -- because I had both when I was a kid, so there's all that nostalgia to go along with the systems. However, I like most systems to one degree or another, but the Atari line will always be my favourite.

>> 11) How do you view gaming of today as compared to the 70's/80's?

Gaming of today is almost absolutely nothing to do with gaming back in the day. There really is no comparison except in the subject matter. Back in the day of course everything was new and exciting -- there were a world of ideas yet to be explored and you always looked forward to the next great game. These days everything's pretty much been done -- to death. Now it's all about the latest video cards and graphic effects. Doing what's already been done, but prettier. Not that I dislike that -- one of my favourite games of the present is Half Life 2 in part because it's just freakin' gorgeous, and the stunning visuals combined with the Havoc physics engine, great level design and engaging plot make it one of the most truly immersive experiences I've played. But then too that's just one more thing that sets games apart from yesteryear. You didn't have that kind of technology back then -- graphics were anything but realistic and processors weren't measured so much in horsepower as hamster. Most games had a very large abstraction to them, and as much of what drew you in was imagination as visual representation. Most of this is taken away with modern games as they leave nothing to the imagination.

It's impossible to draw a comparison, really; classic games have distanced themselves so far from their modern progeny as to be their own separate genre with very little in common with which to draw any parallels. It's almost like trying to compare a modern car with a horse drawn carriage. It's still wheeled transportation you sit inside, but that's about where the similarities end.

>> 12) Do you usually just play the 2600 alone or have someone play with you? (If so, is it a relative or friend?)

By myself, mostly, unless I have a fellow classic gamer over. :)

>> 13) Finally, do you or have you ever tried to turn someone to the "Atari side"?

Not really. Pretty much you're either a gamer or you're not. If you're not, nothing is going to turn you into one. If you are but turn your nose up at anything more than a year old, nothing's going to change your mind about the classics. That leaves us.

On a side note, my supervisor at work is a classic gamer. I turned him on to MAME recently. :D

1 .AGE: 34

2. Male

3.when did i get an Atari ?.

Well back in about 1979 or so for chrstmas of course :), for a while all i had was the pack in games (Pac man & Combat) but later i got a lot more mostly Activision,Imagic and Eww Apllo games (crings just remebering those).

4.When did i become involved in with Atari ?, see #3 :).

5 Why the 2600 ?

Because at the time my mom was told by the Guy at Sears that Atari was the only good Home video game system.

6. What drink keeps mr going ?.

Beer (once in a while), Soda, Tea, Water, Milk, Orange Juice (hell any kind Really) :).

7.how many hours a day ?

well as a kid about 4 hours after school and home work, before school about 1 hour and then on the weekends all day on sat, sun rinse and repeat, but later after i was 18 i did not play as much and foolishly got rid of my system and all 385 boxed games and joysticks,paddles,track balls, Super charger for $100.00 cash in 1989 used the money unwisely and now i am trying to get back what i had once. but since i got a new one recently i play about 6 hours at a time with the wife and kids.

8. almost everyday before and after work.

9. i play warlords , tennis, Ice hocky (mainly these are my wifes favorites becuase she can whoop me at them real good)

10.Yes, i play my NES when the mood hits me aint very often but when it doe's look out me and rob are playin fools, well and the kids like the mario bros 1-3 games.

11. modern games are OK but lack the simplicity that the Atari games offer, like no need to read 35 page manual to learn how to play, no long boring cut scenes to sit through, lets face it for me to play a "Modern Game" requires more learning than i care to put forth to play it besides if i wanna watch a movie i have a dvd player for that :).

12. i somtimes play alone, but most of the time i would rather play games with the wife and kids becuase i work a lot, it is the only time we really do anything together my kids have no intrest in risk,checkers, chess, parchesi or any board games really but i do not push the issue and just enjoy the time we do spend together.

13.nope, most of the people i know what the newest and greatest Video game systems out there, Atari would just get the " Aww man that Weak ass shit" response from most of the people i know around here. (my town that is).

Have a great day :).

RA

1. Age: 34 (is everyone here 34? :D )

2. Male

3. Got my first Atari in '83, got back into it a few years ago

4. At the time, I wanted one just like everyone else! Now I have a bunch of systems , but I just love the old games and the simple gameplay

5. Great, fun games and lots of them. With all the great homebrews now, it's better than ever.

6. Coffee, tea, booze - not all together

7. mostly 30 mins - 1 hr. at a time. Another nice thing about Atari games is that mostly you can play several rounds of several games in this amount of time

8. I play something pretty much every day.

9. Top 3-5 games - hard question, it varies. Right now: Breakout (just read " Pilgrim in the Microworld" - great book!) , Demons to Diamonds (more fun with the paddles hooked up!), Marble Craze (great homebrew - paddles again!), Holiday QB (it is almost Christmas, and QB a great game)

10. Yes! Recently though, not much.

11. Gaming today seems even more popular than in the 80s, but it's lost some of the quirkiness and originality. Also, it seems like games are more about living out a movie with some control over the action, and a large time investment required, rather than a lot of fast paced fun.

12. Usually play alone, sometimes with a friend or my brother when he's in town. The latter is especially fun since it's cool to play a game of Ice Hockey or Combat 20 something years later and still have a lot of fun

13. Ever tried to win anyone over to Atari? My wife - largely unsuccessfull, but she is (thankfully!) endlessly tolerant of my obsession with it.

1) How old are you?

* I'm 31.

2) What sex are you?

* Male, last time I checked. {looks down} Yup, still there.

* Not until I was an adult. My parents never let me have one as a kid.

* If you mean when did I start retrogaming, it was back when I was in college, which means over a decade ago.

* It's not the 2600. I have every Atari. 2600, 5200, 7800, even a recently acquired machine to play 8-bit games.

* I drink lots of diet sodas, but I mix it up with the occasional Red Bull or bottle of Bawls.

* Hopefully an hour but often less. Life keeps me biz-zay.

* Well in one way or another I'd say I'm involved in it every day, if you count reading this website.

* If you mean only 2600 games, Thrust+ and Marble Craze own. Everything else is secondary.

* See above.

* A lot better in some ways, but not in others.

* I enjoy playing against friend when they drop in.

* Actually, I was the one who was converted. By my wife. She still had her old 2600 from childhood.

1) How old are you?

2) What sex are you?

Male

1988 (wanted one since I was introduced to one via commercials in 1985 and when my aunt got one in '86)

It's an easy system to collect for... offers a great variety of games including a lot of arcade ports and many unique titles not to be found anywhere else. Has a lot of casual games where you don't need to spend 100 hours to complete a game.

Hmmm... I guess Coke'a'Cola.... I usually never really think about drinks to keep me up for 2600 games though... I just stay up to play it.

Depends on the mood and other activities. Could range from an absolutel 0 to easily 4-5 hours.

How many days a week do you spend on it?

(On average I would say about 2-3)

Q*Bert (addicting gameplay)

Moon Patrol (loved the arcade)

Super Breakout (addicting for high scores, competition)

Of course.

It's obviously changed dramatically. Games are just 'now' starting to go where they once used to be based on... a high score. (by that I mean real-time, real-world high scores...)

Alone, friends and/or family.

If they seem/appear interested then yes, I would try to show them more things on the community side of things, etc. etc. I wouldn't want people to force their odd hobbies on me so I try not to force it upon others.

Edited by Clint Thompson

1) How old are you?

2) What sex are you?

M

I play Atari about as often as the current gen. I actually got involved around 1979 or so...combat on a freinds Atari...

Simple, fun, challenging gameplay. I like playing the classic games because they are short and sweet. Not like the modern games that can sometimes take 60+ hours to complete.

Cerveza :) Unless its a weeknight...when usually diet soda.

I don't play alot during the week...work...school...wife...toddler...but I play alot on weekends, especially friday nights.

Wish I could play more...usually 2 or 3

Varies...right now: Hack 'em (I love Pac-Man), Sinistar, and Adventure 2

I play em all...right now mostly 2600 and PS2 (Working on Star Ocean..I play alot of rpg type games on the modern systems).

I wish individual programmers had more controll over the games, like they did back in the classic era. I really believe that games were way more creative, especially on the 2600 since the programmers had so little to work with.

Usually solo.

I don't know anyone that's Anti-atari...

Edited by Lord Helmet

1) How old are you?

2) What sex are you?

M

See Number 3

5) Why the 2600? What does it offer to YOU that other systems, whether old or new, don\'t?

Simple, Fun, Variety, Quick Sessions

Mountain Dew

About 3 hours per week, depending on my schedule

About 4

I love all the games, but here are a few that pop in my head right now:

Warlords - Multiplayer goodness

Fall Down - simple and addictive in single or multiplayer

Go Fish - must keep playing to see how big I can get

Tennis - I love the perfect controls

Colecovision, 7800, Lynx, Jaguar, SNES, PS1, PS2, PC

11) How do you view gaming of today as compared to the 70\'s/80\'s?

I enjoy both. In the early days everything was new and it definately felt magical, like someone said above. It does seem a little more like work to play the modern games since there are a lot of controls to learn and progress is tracked. It seems a little more disposable, there isn\'t much reason to play again once the story is completed in a lot of the games today.

Most of the time alone, occasionally can talk my wife into playing. About 4 times a year a gaming buddy and I get together for marathon sessions.

13) Finally, do you or have you ever tried to turn someone to the \"Atari side\"?

In grade school there was one family that had an Intellivision and we used to give them a hard time like Xbox/Sony/Nintendo fans argue now about who is better. But once you mature a little you realize there is no reason to hate competition and almost every system has fun games on it.

1) How old are you?

2) What sex are you?

M

Originally 1982ish. My current system I just got about 1 month ago.

I rec'd two broken systems in January - it got me reinterested so I bought the PS2 compilations (Atari & Activision) during the summer. Then, I got a working system as a gift, so I have been re-involved since then I guess.

The two things it offers me are pick-up-and-playability and basic nostalgia value. I can't pick up a quick game on my PS2, between intro screens/movies/load times/etc you can't do much with 30 minutes. The Atari allows for quick gameplay. Also, the warm-fuzzy nostalgia value can't be overlooked...

Non-Alcoholic - Dunkin Donuts Toasted Almond Coffee or Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper.

Alcholic - Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

Around 1 hr or so.

Every day - I may miss one here and there, but generally an hour before bed.

If you mean currently - Barn Storming, River Raid, Chopper Command, Eggomania. Why? I only have 10 games (right now) so it's kind of limited.

However, if you mean of all time on the Atari - Warlords, Yar's Revenge, Dragonfire, Dolphin. Why? Warlords is just simple fun (and I love paddle games). Yar's is simply awesome, I don't know why. Dragonfire is great because it gets going so fast gathering treasure you just shut out the world around you and have simple pure fun. Dolphin because it's the first game I ever played where the sound actually effected gameplay.

Yuppers, PS2, NES, and Nintendo DS right now.

Gaming now has become a true industry - which is both good and bad. The good is that the production values and budgets have reached the point where games are something to be experienced as much as played. The atmosphere of Ico, great movie translations like Riddick or King Kong, the feeling of speed in Burnout 3 - all would not have been possible in the original systems.

However, with those great advancements comes a cost, the high cost of making a game prevents companies from taking many risks. Games like Psychonauts and Beyond Good & Evil selling poorly really hurts creativity in the industry. We're seeing great polish on existing ideas, but less new ideas.

The thing that I find the most exiting currently is the portable market, much like when games were a new medium with the 2600 - the DS is a new medium which is creating (in my mind) the best NEW experiences of this year. We're able to pat and talk to a puppy, perform surgery, and scream "objection" in court - experiences that feel like no games before them. I would say that currently, the uncharted territories the DS is going is actually really similar to the experimentation that took place in the gaming industries infancy.

Play alone - sometimes the wife joins me.

Not really. That would mean less games for me :)

How old are you?

What sex are you?

Male

When did you get an Atari?

1980... Believe it or not, I do remember that Christmas!

Why the 2600? What does it offer to YOU that other systems, whether old or new, don't?

I have a very short attention span. I like games that will be fun no matter how much time I put into them.

What drink keeps you going? (in case you spend long hours on the 2600).

I don't spend long hours on the 2600. Otherwise, I'd say beer, but I'm trying to cut back.

How many hours a day or at a time do you play the Atari?

I play a few minutes at a time, usually checking out homebrew wips and game hacks. Otherwise, I don't play Atari so much. My gaming interests are pretty broad and I'm constantly looking for new games for various platforms that satisfy my short attention span. Occasionally there is the exception... I played a lot of Oystron and StarFire when I first bought them... and quite a lot of IXION when the prototype was released.

Your top 3-5 games. WHY these choices?

#5 - Hunchy 2: I love one-screen, arcade platformers.

#4 - Thrust: Amazing game. I love to play with the pedals and the driving controller, even though I don't get very far.

#3 - Qb: I'm a sucker for action/puzzlers

#2 - StarFire: This game rules!

#1 - Oystron: This was the game that got me interested in the homebrew scene. I'd tested the game out on an emulator, but blew it off without giving it much of a chance. When I obtained a copy later, I read the instructions and realized that there is a lot more to the game than what I had assumed at first glance.

//runners up//

Solar Fox, H.E.R.O., Marble Craze, Cosmic Ark, and Hack'Em

Do you play any other systems besides the 2600?

I'll play on any system as long as the game is fun.

How do you view gaming of today as compared to the 70's/80's?

I've played X-Box, Gamecube, and PS2 games in the display kiosks, but nothing really grabs my attention for very long. I hate loading times. I get bored easily when a game is obviously a clone of another. To me a game is like a good story. If the author doesn't grab my attention immediately, I'll probably find something else to fill my time. Graphics are nice, don't get me wrong, but they are only part of the game. I have a hard time being impressed by graphics anymore, unless the game is for a console with a lot of limitations. If the game companies want my attention, they'll need to wow me with such things as innovative ideas, gimmicks, fantastic gameplay without 18 buttons, etc. Most of the modern games I play are Indie PC games that have more of a classic feel anyways.

Do you usually just play the 2600 alone or have someone play with you? (If so, is it a relative or friend?)

Usually I play alone. I managed to get the kid to try JoustPong one day, and he loved it so much that I gave him the t-shirt that came with the cartridge! We haven't played much since, but he wore the shirt out! :D I would probably play a lot more if I knew anyone interested. The kid would much rather play MMORPGs.

1) How old are you?

2) What sex are you?

Male

Re-Atari'ed myself about 3 or 4 years ago.

ATARI 2600\7800 is the most enjoyable Video Game system for me. I've always had one (for the most part) and newer game systems just don't do anything for me.

Coffee & determinaton :)

Between programming & Playing I would say on average 2 hours a day give or take. Some days not at all (I try to avoid those days).

8 ) How many days a week do you spend on it?

4 or 5 days a week if I can.

Smurfs Rescue - First brand new game I got in 1983, I'm a Smurfs fan.

BMX Airmaster - Awsome game hands down, Replay value is great.

Pong Sports - Well it's Pong!!

7800 and somtimes Dreamcast by my own or other newers systems with friends or my daughter.

Way to hyped

Most the time by myself as most people I know find it boggling I still have an Atari let alone play it. I have one friend that plays ATARI with me (AA user Ron_Burgundy) and sometimes my wife & kids with play.

lol.. AA user Ron_Burgundy, He's only 19 and was a nintendo fanboy cause he was in the nintendo era where as I was able to be just old enough to have an ATARI as a kid. When all I wanted to play was ATARI he kinda got the hang of it.

EDIT: P.S. This is an awsome survey.

Edited by silver_surfer

1) How old are you?

2) What sex are you?

Male

Got back into the 2600 over a year ago because I was bored with my ps2 games.

fun, addictive gameplay

Instant coffee.

around 1 hour

6 or 7

Jeeeeez, I don't know, there are so many of them I like. Solar Fox, Crystal Castles, Tunnel Runner, Jr. Pac-Man, and Entombed provide a great adrenaline rush.

Colecovison, PS2

Don't care for modern games that much. I love the old stuff.

Usually alone, my 6 year old son plays sometimes.

I got my best friend to put up his ps2 and get a 2600.

1.)I'll let you guess my age

2.)male

3.)I think in jan. 1988(2600 Jr.) Didn't know if I had the original

4.)I got a 2600 JR due to price in 1988, plus having existing 2600 games Already (Intellevion 2 System Charger, and Intellevion 2 controllers bothered my hands

5.) Simple fun , classics that weren't on my other systems

6.)Not to long

7.) It depends. I play the 2600 games once in awhile. when I do, I play them for up to an hour.

9.)River Raid-fun addicting shooter, Pitfall two- great platform game, Demon Attack-Loves shooters, Midnight MAgic- likes pinball games, Junior Pacman-likes good pac-man games

10.) Sega Master System, Playstation, Dreamcast,Nes, Genesis, snes, Gamecube, Playstation 2,Game Boy advance, hoping to get a DS, and a lynx

11.) I think todays game depend on too much on graphics and extras instead of gameplay or having too many glitches. I am not big on online gaming. I don't like that game Companies only go to 2-d if it is profitable(sony). I don't like the fact that old school shooters are going on the way side.

12.)By myself most of the time

13.)no

Edited by 8th lutz

1) How old are you?

2) What sex are you?

Male

I started playing Atari again after salvaging my 2600 from my parents basement about ten years ago. Which lead to much more collecting of vintage systems and games.

I don't have much time these days and it seems harder and harder to squeeze games in. It's always fun to play games that start fast and allow you a few minutes of fun play without worrying about getting to the next checkpoint before quitting.

Liquids and my 2600 don't mix.

About half an hour. It depends, though. If I have some new games or no one is bugging me to get off my butt and do something, I'll play longer.

This also depends. Sometimes 2 or 3 days a week.

Millipede, Jr. Pacman, Ms. Pacman, Phoenix. These later Atari games showed just how much could be done on the "outdated" 2600. Intellivision and Coleco had gained a foothold against Atari and after the Pacman debacle, Atari fans needed excellent games to stay tuned in to the 2600. Plus, they are incredibly fun to play. Intense and have a good difficulty level.

Atari 5200, Colecovision, NES, Super Nes, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox.

I like modern games and I like classic games. However, they are almost like completely separate things. In the early eighties, games were more about "fun" and family. There was nothing "hardcore" or "extreme" (barring Custer's Revenge and the like) about gaming. It was just fun to see the technolgy progress and play games with your friends and family. It was a wholesome past time. It can still be that way today, somewhat, but so many games are trying to be hardcore and full of angst. There's a place for that but it does make gaming a different thing. It's much more about putting a person through a virtual experience these days than it was back then. Back then, it was more about skill and mastery and not so much about "feeling there." It's a pretty stark contrast to put an Atari game next to a current gen shooter or what-not. Sure, you control both of them and they both display on your tv, but it takes a very broad category like "video games" to put them in the same category. It's kind of like paper dolls and the uber-detailed action figures of today. Are they the same thing? Kinda, but not really.

I mostly play alone. Sometimes I try to drag my kids into the Atari room but they'd rather play PS2.

Not really. I almost think you "had to be there" to truly get what Atari is about and what it meant to those of us who were kids or young teens at the time. Even someone my own age that wasn't into Atari back then isn't going to truly "get it" now.

1) How old are you?

2) What sex are you?

M

When I was 4 or 5. Christmas present!

Pretty much from the start. Other systems had appeal, but this was *mine*. I learned how to get 99 points in RealSports football on easy mode, and then on hard mode against the computer. I'd beaten Pitfall 2. I just wanted more.

My system of choice was the 7800. I got it, and realized that it was going to have an AWESOME line-up of games. So, I slowly kept buying what I could. Then, I remember one day when my Mom came up to me (I was in Junior High or High School), and there was an Article from Big Lots saying that it had Atari 2600 and 7800 games for $1, $2, or $3. I freaked out. I pooled all my money and walked home with about 20-30 games, and a huge smile. From that point, I did some research, and found out about Video 61. I heard that there were even more 7800 games that they had that I didn't, and they were *weird* titles. Ikari Warriors. Scrapyard Dog. Ninja Golf. So, I'd save up money from paychecks, and make sporadic orders, trying to fill the collection. It always has a soft spot in my heart cuz it had great potentialy that was unfortunately underutilized. I also loved showing people these bizarre new titles I was getting, and having them say "Wow! What a system. That could have been cool!". Everyone loved Midnight Mutants.

Haven't spent the long hours in awhile, actually. When I was tired, just stopped playing.

Used to be many (3-6), now it's essentially zero.

Used to be afterschool, 3x a week or so.

Pitfall 2: this is the only game I can beat perfectly. It took me FOREVER to be able to do this

Star Raiders: Used to freak me out as a kid

7800, NES, SNES (for Mega Man 7 and Mario Kart), N64 for Zelda 64, GameBoy Advance, Virtual Boy.

Kinda weak. Arcade games seem to be... all the same. Driving games. Fighting games. Sports games. Shooting games. That's about 85% of what's out there to play. I liked more variety back then. And, games seem easier. I know people who can finish Ghosts n' Goblins and Dragon's Lair. I sure as hell can't do that. Think about the quarters involved! Nowadays, such difficulties are hard to find, in my opinion. I think today's gamers would be frustrated if they weren't impressed by 3d graphics and the ability to make a quarter feel like it's lasting.

Usually have a friend. Decathlon tournaments in college were prime.

Of course. And, I've succeeded very often.

-John

Whoa! Thanks to everyone who replied. In a sense I truly did not expect this much. I've actually learned alot too, believe it or not. To be honest, I thought alot of you just played oldschool stuff and weren't too interested in the newer consoles but I'm totally wrong. I also in a sense thought alot of you would play hours on end a few days a week or so. Wrong again.

I truly have learned something and I'm very happy you all proved me wrong.

To Silver_Surfer, thanks!

To Random Terrain: anyone on here can answer basically. I just figured this site was for the hardcore/elite of the Atari 2600 *and you all are in my eyes*.

Btw, I'd like to say this to everyone: thank you so much. In a sense if it wasn't for this website and you all, I probably wouldn't be playing my 2600. So, to everyone here, thank you!

1) How old are you?

- LOL I typed 31 before I realized I'm 30.

2) What sex are you?

- M

- When I was five at my cousin's house.

- A few months before I joined AA I think.

- It's easy to collect for, and I love the library of games.

- Usually a few Budweisers or a pot of coffee.

- I go through stages of playing or collectioning, but never both at the same time. Right now I'm collecting and working lots so I might spend five minutes a day.

- Everyday.

Jr. Pac-Man - challenging and fun

Yars' Revenge - one of the most unique games I've ever seen

Circus Atari - I love this game. It's comical to see the guys go splat

Laser Gates - amazing effects and a dash of randomness (that's for you RT)

Spacemaster X-7 - thanks to HSC for introducing me to this game.

- Yes. Colecovision, PS1, PS2, NES, SNES, GC

- Gaming is just like music. Each generation swears their's is the best. The big difference is the adults today were kid's that grew up with games. Soon it won't be uncommon to see seniors playing games regularly.

- I wish I knew people that were into Atari like I am. That's why there is this website and the high score club.

- Yep. I got them more involved, but they still love their Intellivision.

1) How old are you?

2) What sex are you?

Male

2600 in 1989 (when Double Dragon was NEW!)

Arcade classics in abundance!

Cider & black

To be honest when I have the time!

My days off, no more than 2!

Solaris, Defender 2, Missile Command, California Games, Double Dragon

The best game on the system plus a few classics on any system!

Lynx, Jaguar + CD, 7800, 800XL, Saturn, Gameboy, Megadrive, 520 STFM, PC, Spectrum +2A, ZX81, Playstation.

Not as good or as original.

Alone :sad:

Yep, loads! Especially when I had my Lynx! It worked quite often too!

1) How old are you?

2) What sex are you?

Male

2004 :ponder:

2004 :ponder:

It's cheap, fun, and easy... just like I like my women :lust:

LTD Whisky

15 minutes a day or so

I play it just about every day

River Raid - It's fun

Enduro - It's fun

Solar Fox - It's fun

Yes... All of them minus Microsoft products

It's the same in the sense everything new from the systems to games are very overpriced in my opinion. But you also have different ratings for the games and a wider selection of games marketed to select audiences that were never there.

Alone

No

Name: Shawn, Don't care about saying it

1) How old are you?

32 (will be 33 on Jan 13th)

2) What sex are you?

Male

When they first came out. We had the 2600, Space Invaders, Indy 500, Pac-Man, Laser Blast, Deadly Duck, Night Driver, Video Olympics, and a few more. My Dad also had Custers Revenge I wasn't allowed to touch.

I don't remember exactly when I got my own Atari, but I picked up more games for presents, Adventure, Stampede, Superman, etc.

I just mentioned in Question #3.

Why the 2600?! Because that's what my Dad bought first and that's the first game system we owned. I'm gonna say Colecovision was my #2 favorite classic system.

I don't do that type of stuff.. if you're referring to energy drinks. They all taste so nasty. I drink iced tea 99% of the time (diet tea) or sometimes I drink Arizona Sweet Tea. It's the best. I never heard of the stuff until I went to the South (Florida) and when I got back up to New Jersey nobody carried it, so I got in contact with some people and now a lot of places carry it.

Depends. I don't play a lot of games, but if I get something that catches me in the right way (such as Crazy Balloon homebrew did) I played that to death.

I make it a point to play daily.

No comment here. Oh wait that's a comment. My top games change all the time. I'll find a game I like and play it constantly for weeks, but then once I find something else I'll play that constantly.

Nintendo NES, PC, and online games. Ooh arcade emulators too. I'd play others if I owned them or had emulators. I also frequent arcades to play games and pinballs as much as I can.

Gaming today sucks. Sure there's some really good games out there, but games today require a huge budget to make games. I miss the simpler times... the times when you didn't need crazy graphic skills to design a game. Mostly anyone could design an Atari 2600 games graphics if they could program.

Nobody I know likes to play classic games. I'm sure if I had my own apartment and a bunch of games and a system setup they'd play, but I don't have all that.

No.

1) How old are you?

2) What sex are you?

A guy (male, however ya wanna say it)

Before birth, since it originally belonged to my older brother

4) When did you become involved with the Atari? (i.e. you wanted to play this over newer systems at the time or today)

2600, a.k.a. the "Video Computer System"

The kind of simplicity and fun that something so simple can provide, not to mention that for game programmers the 2600 is far more dififcult to program a good game for according to what I've read.

6) What drink keeps you going? (in case you spend long hours on the 2600). Sometimes Coca-Cola, but mostly Mt. Dew "AMP" or "MDX" (former an energy drink, the other an energy SODA)

usually about 3 hours a day during school. Gotta stay focued on homework, ya know?

There's a day I don't spend on the Atari? *blink*

Spider-Man, because it's just so damn challenging. Battlezone, because it's just got that charm to it. Starmaster, because it just rocks as a space game. Asteroids, hunting and lurking.. 'Nuff said. Lastly, Defender for the Atari 800 because of the fact it's a hell of a great marathon game for me.

The 8-bit computer line, when I get another one a Commodore 128, the 5200 again when I get some new sticks and a new Trak-Ball, the 7800 (snagged one on eBay), Colecovision, Intellivision, NES, Master System, SNES, Genesis, a little bit of PS1, PS2, GameCube, and PC.

What happened to "games are meant to be fun"? Too much of a lack of originality, too much focus on making graphics and sound the focus of the games, and just a general lack of a "fun-factor" in today's games.

Usually alone, but I might be able to find someone who'd want to play. Mostly just a friend or two as my relatives all live in another state.

More or less, as they also collect old games.

Edited by NightSprinter

To Random Terrain: anyone on here can answer basically. I just figured this site was for the hardcore/elite of the Atari 2600 *and you all are in my eyes*.

OK, I'll post my answers then since my favorite subject is me.

1) How old are you?

2) What sex are you?

Girls have an innie. I have an outie. Can you guess the sex?

March 27, 1982

My mother first saw Breakout at the Woolco she worked at in the late 1970s and finally got around to showing me. My desire for Atari slowly grew after that. Later on after we moved, a semi-rich kid next door had an Atari and let me and my soon-to-be girlfriend play it sometimes.

I had a stupid two player only Pong type game that I tried to play by myself, but that sucked. One person could play Atari alone, so that was a major reason why I wanted one. Atari was what everyone wanted back then.

I don't usually spend long hours with Atari anymore. Whenever I do spend long hours, it's usually with the Xbox or PS2. I don't need any drink to keep me going. I just drink Le Bleu ultra pure distilled water.

I sometimes go weeks without playing Atari. I would play many hours when I was a teen.

I sometimes go weeks without playing Atari.

E.T. (Atari)
The interplanetary telephone pieces and zones are in different places every time you start a new game. Controlled Randomness gives E.T. replayability, and that means the game will be fun no matter how many times you play it. It's always fresh. And unlike Adventure and Superman, there is no flicker.

2. Marauder (Tigervision)
This game is a little too easy, but it's always different every time you play and I love how the view is based more on reality. You can only see a robot if it's in your line of sight. If a robot is behind a wall, you can't see it.

3. Laser Gates (Imagic)
Another game that is different every time you play. You have to pay attention when playing this game or you'll be dead faster than you can say "Holy crap! This game is fun!"

4. Lock 'N' Chase (M Network)
It's hard to get sick of this game. Trapping a cop for 2000 points never gets old. There are two treasures to get and you need to get them every time if you want their worth to double. You never know where the cops are going to go, so danger is around every corner. If you close a door to block one cop, you could find that you blocked your only way to escape from the next cop. On top of all that, there is no flicker.

5. Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator (Sega)
This game is always fun. I sometimes think that I like it better than the arcade version. As with most games that I like, it's different every time you play. Having the first person view and the overhead view is great. You can play any way you want. Only like the overhead view? Then look at that screen and ignore the first person view.

It's hard to pick the top 5 because a lot of the games I like are tied for top 5. Solar Fox, Marauder, Othello, Spider-Man, Stargate/Defender II, Golf, Activision Tennis, Demon Attack, Moonsweeper, and more.

Yes. Mostly Xbox and PS2 now, but sometimes I drag out the Atari 7800 or the 3DO.

Games still don't look real enough for me yet and the game worlds don't seem alive enough, but we are closer than we ever have been. The games I have been waiting for since the 1980s should be here within the next 20 years. It also seems that three things I have always desired in a game are randomness, replayability, and intelligence. I never want to know what is coming next and I like characters in a game to seem smart. With the right AI, a character can appear to be 'alive' instead of some dumb thing that repeats predetermined patterns.

I play alone now. A girlfriend or family member would play sometimes when I was younger, but I would play Atari alone most of the time.

I used to wear video game T-shirts and an Atari jacket from Atari Age magazine for a while when I was a teen as a personal statement and to help spread interest in video games and Atari. When I worked at Toys R Us, I talked people into buying the Atari 7800 instead of Nintendo or Sega.

Edited by Random Terrain

1) How old are you? 34

2) What sex are you? Male

3) When did you get an Atari? 1980

4) When did you become involved with the Atari? (i.e. you wanted to play this over newer systems at the time or today). 1977 til the present

5) Why the 2600? What does it offer to YOU that other systems, whether old or new, don't? Quick fun games,no stupid cutscenes to suffer thru to learn my motivation for killing the aliens.

6) What drink keeps you going? (in case you spend long hours on the 2600). Coffee or Rolling Rock beer

7) How many hours a day or at a time do you play the Atari? Varies. on average about half an hour

8. How many days a week do you spend on it? 7

Kaboom

Pressure Cooker

Thrust+

Indy 500

They are just fun.

10) Do you play any other systems besides the 2600? Yup, old school to modern

It's less fun today because gameplay takes a back seat to pretty graphics

12) Do you usually just play the 2600 alone or have someone play with you? (If so, is it a relative or friend?) Mostly alone but friends and my wife play too.

Sort of, I don't push too hard.

Edited by joeybastard