IGNORED

So which Atari computer do I buy?

Red 5

I recently sold off my entire video game collection with the exception of all Atari items (2600, 5200, 7800, Jag, Lynx), Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex.

Basically, I kept the 'classics'.

Anyway, I want to expand into the Atari Computers, but don't know where to start.

As a kid, I had a TI-99 and a C64 so I don't know where to really begin.

I want a system with a lot of carts. Don't really want to load tapes of 5 1/4 disks if I can avoid it.

Is the 800XL the best place to start, and what am I looking at price wise to get a nice starter set. (system w/ a couple of games)

I recently sold off my entire video game collection with the exception of all Atari items (2600, 5200, 7800, Jag, Lynx), Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex.

Anyway, I want to expand into the Atari Computers, but don't know where to start.

I want a system with a lot of carts.  Don't really want to load tapes of 5 1/4 disks if I can avoid it.

Is the 800XL the best place to start, and what am I looking at price wise to get a nice starter set. (system w/ a couple of games)

983290[/snapback]

I personally would recommend the Atari XEGS. It has a couple of advantages over the other machines in the 8-bit family: it has composite video/audio jacks built right in, the cartridge slot is right on top of the unit and easier to access than the XE computers (which moved the cartridge slot to the back), and it has a detachable keyboard that you can extend using any DB15 joystick extension cable. I've also found that the video quality is better than the other machines, which require a special cable to connect to today's front-panel composite TV jacks.

The XEGS is compatible with all XL/XE cartridge software and comes with Missile Command built-in. You can get them in pristine condition for $50 from B&C ComputerVisions (which is where I got mine), or you can usually find inexpensive ones on eBay if you want to risk going that route.

Edited by jaybird3rd

I second that.

If you ONLY want to play games, get the XEGS.

If you want to do any sort of typing (programming, text games, etc) then get an 800XL. The XEGS has an AWEFUL keyboard. It's that mushy key feeling that I hate. Some may like it though.

I have an XEGS, 800XL and a 600XL. I use the 800XL 99.9% of the time. I do this because I like the keyboard better and it's physically smaller which helps because it shares desk space with my C=128.

Now, the 800XL normally uses RF which is aweful but I took an extra C=64 A/V cable I had and changed the pins around to work with the 800XL so now my 800XL has as good graphics as my XEGS.

cbmeeks

cbmeeks

The 800XL is the best all rounder and the true basic model that can handle almost everything you will throw it it game wise.

It has 64k, a good keyboard (though the original 800 is considered the best keyboard ever!) and the Monitor output is a regular audio din configuration (so Scart/peritel/S-Video cables can be made for it for the best video output, I use an audio din to RCA cable on my C= 1084 monitor). It certainly has a solid feel.

The XE range was OK, but the cart slot was moved to the back (awkward to use), there are keyboard complaints, and build quality feels cheep in comparison. That said, a 65XE is equivelent to an 800XL, and the 130XE has 128k of Ram (may be useful for some limited applications). The negatives are build quality (it just feels cheep!), mushy keyboards, no expansion slots on most 65XEs

The XEGS. moved the cart slot back to the top of the machine, the keyboard is extendable (though most wags say its simply expendable! ;) ) and the monitor output is simple RCA jacks so you dont have to even wire up a special cable. It also has the magic 64K plus missile command built in (don't plug the keyboard in, and just switch it on!). Negatives:- no curcuit board expansion slot, mushy keyboard, feels cheep.

If its games your after, and 800XL + a tape deck + 2 1050 disk drives should cover all your needs (I know of at least one game that need 2 drives). If you get an SIO2PC connector and APE on your PC, you have all the disk images on the internet at your disposal. Handy if you buy a game and find the disk has degraded (copys are all well and good, but nothing beats owning a well packaged original ;) )

Machines to avoid, the 400 (not enough ram and horrid keyboard) and the 600XL (not enough ram) though the 800 has its advantages, it has only 48k so won't play some of the XE carts.

Well, I actually recommend the 130XE since it has the extra memory. But, then again I just happen to like these machines. I have 3. I have used everything from an Atari 400, 800, 800XL, 600XL, XEGS and of course the 130XE. I prefer the keyboard over the 800XL, and never had any "mushy feelings" :).

Of course my 130XEs are heavily modded by this time with supervideo/s-video and 3 OSes... but... I prefer to have the monitor port over the RCA jacks for video so that I can use my monitor-to-svideo cable. Looks great!!!

It is personal preference, but I just think of the 130XE as the "top of the line"....

I like the grey plastic over the light-beige plastic of the 800XL and especially over the dark-beige of the 800. Don't mind the cart on the back either... you can still slide the machine under something or even use a cover with the cart in without runnning into the cart sticking out of the top...

But really, I would find a good model at a reasonable price < $20 if possible and pick from a 130XE, 800XL, or XEGS in that order.

I'd say start with a nice 800XL. Compact, top loading carts and a handy keyboard right there if you happen to need it.

The XE is bigger and even larger with a keyboard.

The 130XEs are nice, but out of the 4 that I've got here three of them are fiddly with the cart port. Not to mention the cart port is annoying placed in the back. Plus the 130XE keyboard sucks.

I love the XEGS that I have, but the only problem is that if I want to play Missile Command with the Trak-Ball option I'm left with no choice but to connect the keyboard and hold down the "Select" key on the system when I power it on. Thankfully I'm getting an original MC cartridge so i don't have to deal with that while the keyboard's hooked up.

But other than that, for virtually every game, I would have to agree a bit that the 800XL is the system to go with. Plus I've also been reading you can expand it to a grand total of 320KB of RAM. I'm thinking this would help quite a bit with some of the games that are being made now (like the Space Harrier demo, as it seems to require at least 128KB in order to run). Though I can say as a backup you might want to also invest in an A800 as well for the few cartridges that won't run on an XL/XE series computer.

I will have to say Atari 800 XL as well. There is a lot you can do with it, especially if you get a socketed one.

(I'm sure Cybernoid and others that know me are rubbing their eyes to see if they read that right since I am also a huge Atari 800 fan.)

So get an Atari 800 xl, the ape program and SIO2PC cable from Atarimax.com, and a ibm PC platformed laptop with 50 mhz or more (could be less, but just easier if you have that much power I found), and boom! You've got an Atari computer that can run THOUSANDS of game images.

It just gets sick at that point. :D

And really you can put this all together, including controllers, for under $100 I'd estimate.

(Some people would be willing to almost give away a 50 mhz laptop, $20-ish for the 800 xl, most of the cost should be the APE software and cable.)(Disk images are all throughout the internet.. free!)

So nobody really has an opinion on this then ?

:D

Wow !

Just when you thought you knew a board, you find a whole crazy sub world of Atari Computer nuts.

I think I will be joining you with the 800xl, going on all the suggestions.

Thanks for all the input.

I will post something when I get it... hopefully soon.

Just when you thought you knew a board, you find a whole crazy sub world of Atari Computer nuts.

983801[/snapback]

Best Computer in the World! Of course, I am glad you said "a whole crazy sub world of Atari Computer nuts" instead of "a whole sub world of crazy Atari Computer nuts". :D

Anyway, welcome aboard the Atari Computer Bandwagon!!!

This would be the best 8bit computer to get:

800XE Laptop...

Plus I've also been reading you can expand it to a grand total of 320KB of RAM.  I'm thinking this would help quite a bit with some of the games that are being made now (like the Space Harrier demo, as it seems to require at least 128KB in order to run).

There are upgrades that go much further than that-1MB memory upgrades exist for instance. Technically, there isn't really any limit to the amount of memory you could put into the 8-bit. Realistically though, since the "standard" is that there is only 1 byte used to control banking in 16k of the extra memory, there is a sort of limit.

Where you can run into problems running demos and programs that require extra memory, is that some have decided to support only a specific type of memory upgrade (not all memory upgrades used the same bits in $D301 to control banking in the extra memory.)

All games that I know of will run with the Atari standard 128k memory model.

Go with a 800xl. They are easily found on ebay in lots with games for cheap. Its likely to have socketed chips. I have 2 socketed and 1 that is not. They would then be easier to upgrade. I have seen some go $20-30 with carts and games.

If you dont want to deal with upgrading but have been expanded the most, 130xe is good. They keyboard does suck and more most do not have socketed chips.

Other you should consider are the XEGS or the 800. Some of the 800s have one of the best keyboards.

Edited by Almost Rice

Well, I've had quite the array of 8-bits over the years (in fact, I still have my original 800 from 1979!) I think I like the 800XL best as an all around machine. However, the one I use most is an XEGS. It's hooked the the composite in on my LCD and looks great. The detachable keyboard is the selling point, yes its mushy, but no more than the Atari ST 1040 keyboard. The main console is out of the way, and I can pull over the keyboard and im in business.

Not all the 65XE sucks!

Are models made in taiwan, hong kong and the latest was made in china (same case with the 130xe)

Chinese models has the mobo of a 130XE but without a MMU and two ram chips...

The better ataris 800xl are the made in sunnyvale...

But if you want to play (nobody programs in an atari today, all people use pc compilers like x-asm, atasm, omc, etc), all the models are the same thing...

Back in the day, I owned a 400 (my first computer/console ever) one of the orig CTIA

Sunnyvale models, great machine, also a 800xl and bought one of the

first 130xe's (which didnt have a mushy keyboard).

Recently I've got back into 8bits and I picked up a mint condition 65xe

(to replace my long gone 130xe) and it is one of the Hong Kong models.

It has a ECI port and everything works 100% (including the GTIA) only

thing I will say is the keyboard does feel a bit mushy, but I dont know

about you guys how much typing do you do on your 8bit? I play games

and fool around alittle but I dont plan on any major typing marathons

so the keyboard being a bit mushy does not effect me at all. YMMV

What I love about my 65xe is that it has no yellowing and looks mint

like the day it came out of the factory, which is something I couldnt say

about my old 130xe when I let it go a few years ago. BTW I picked it up

for 5 dollars on ebay (15 dollars shipping).

My point is any 64k 8bit with composite out is suitable for a retrogamers

need's. I dont think it really matters (for most of us) if we have a 800xl,

65xe, XEGS or 130xe. We are gonna get pretty much the same experience.

post-5044-1134938052_thumb.jpg

Edited by kevin242

• 1 month later...

Sorry to dig up this post, but I got myself an 800xl (thanks Josh!) and

I absolutely love it.

Thanks to everyone here for all the suggestions.

I can't believe just how nice it is.

I don't have a disc drive yet, but until then are their any old RPG's in cart form that anyone can suggest?

(like the old Ultima series)

You can put Ultima III and IV on a flash cartridge, but without a disk drive or SIO2PC you cant program the carts. :P

I do have them pre-programmed with Ultima labels, but they are still regular 8mbit flash carts so you can re-program them later with other stuff if you obtain a disk drive or SIO2PC setup.

http://www.atarimax.com/freeshippingsale/

If you are going to go the cartridge rather than disk route you might want to check eBay too. You can usually get big lots of good quality but common cartridge games for the 8-bit at pretty reasonable prices.

Steve

I want a system with a lot of carts.  Don't really want to load tapes of 5 1/4 disks if I can avoid it.

983290[/snapback]

Yes, I also enjoy my 800XL over the 65XE (which was my first 8-bit back in '85). I also have the 600XL with the 64K memory upgrade, but only has RF TV connection. Right now, my 800XL is the only one up and running downstairs in my den. I'm thinking about using it for a arcade game system for the den. I also, agree about the game carts, they're definitely the way to go, but I also have my 1050 attached for disk save' if needed. The XE light gun is also a fun add-on. My favorite light gun game is "Barnyard Blaster." There are several cart games for sale on the web. I've bought several in the last month or so from post right here on AtariAge!