IGNORED

Atari Excellence Awards 2005 NOMINATIONS

pmpddytim

Due to Stans disappearance I'm going to try to pull together some Atari Excellence Awards. I am not trying to replace Stan only fill in for him until (if) he gets back. I hope I can do as good a job as he has done in the past.

Please help me out by nominating the projects that came out this year that you feel are worthy of some praise. (Homebrews, hacks, hardware and other advancments in the hobby). Just like Stan's awards I am going to limit this to Atari 2600 related projects.

I am also going to need the aid of a label designer. If you wish to help out in this regard please PM me.

I can't do this alone folks so any help is appreciated.

-Tim :)

Edited by pmpddytim

Hi there!

cd-w recently compiled this list of all 2005 released 2600 homebrew projects that saw a cartridge release:

*FlapPing

*Ultra SCSIcide

*Warring Worms: The Worm (Re)Turns

Poker Squares

Crazy Balloon

Fall Down

Go Fish!

**Swoops!

**2005 Minigame Multicart

Hunchy 2

***Solar Plexus

-Strat-O-Gems Deluxe

****Amiga Boing! Demo 2.0

-2005 Holiday Reindeer Rescue Cart

- Not yet available

* Re-Releases

** Multicarts

*** bBASIC Game

**** Demo

Greetings,

Manuel

- Not yet available

* Re-Releases

** Multicarts

*** bBASIC Game

**** Demo

Are you suggesting one award for each category? Or that some categories should be included and some not?

IMO re-releases which didn't really change the game (e.g. Thrust+ Platinum) or (AFAIK) just the name (FlapPing?) shouldn't be included. But I suppose they wouldn't win anyway. ;)

Hi there!

- Not yet available

* Re-Releases

** Multicarts

*** bBASIC Game

**** Demo

Are you suggesting one award for each category? Or that some categories should be included and some not?

Nothing at all. Just providing information here. What Tim does with it is up to him :)

Greetings,

Manuel

I have a few nominations:

1) Dave Exton for his excellent labels and manuals. Just this year alone, he's produced artwork for: FlapPing, Poker Squares, Crazy Balloon, Fall Down and Reindeer Rescue (and maybe some I forgot). The AtariAge store is just packed with his work.

2) Albert, for all of his working printing and collating manuals, assembling cartridges, trekking to game Expos and running the AtariAge store in order to sell the homebrew games we all get to enjoy.

3) Bob Montgomery, for Reindeer Rescue. (Admittedly, I'm a little biased on this one.) ;) But Bob's been working like a madman for several weeks in order to produce a unique holiday present for the AtariAge community. All homebrew games take an insane amount of work to create, but he's managed to stuff all of that work into a few very packed weeks, and during the holidays, as well. I think that deserves some mad props, yo.

4) Homebrew game of the year: Fall Down. This game is maddeningly addictive, and I always find myself going back and playing it. It's one of those great 2600 games you can grab for a quick gaming fix.

Way to go Tim! I'll have to nominate Fred for Batari Basic. Perhaps in future years we could have an award for best BB game.

984071[/snapback]

I will second that - bBasic is undoubtedly the most innovative piece of software released this year, and it has done the most to keep the Atari 2600 homebrew community alive by bringing in new blood. That said, there have been some excellent cart releases this year from existing homebrew developers, which have certainly raised the bar for future game projects. Also, Albert should definitely receive an award for the massive effort he puts into the community, and which I witnessed first-hand at the vgXpo.

Chris

I'm nominating Curt Vendel and the Flashback II team for making the first commercially available (99.999999% accurate) Atari 2600 on a chip, for specifically thinking of the AtariAge community in making it cart-slot-hackable, and also for making the fantastic Atari 2600-compatible joysticks that go with it.

Maybe there should be separate categories:

1) ports and sequels

2) original titles

985916[/snapback]

Hmm, or alternately:

1) updates and sequels

2) original titles and new ports

I don't know if there are enough new titles to subdivide ports from new designs, and, thinking about it, it would be hard to say, for instance, which one Leprechaun would fall under (when it you finish, Eric!).

Of course, if you did have separate "ports" and "original titles" categories, you could grade them differently depending on which category the author submitted them to, giving points for originality and suitability to the platform in the "original titles" category, while giving points for "versimilitude" for ports.

I don't know if there are enough new titles to subdivide ports from new designs, and, thinking about it, it would be hard to say, for instance, which one Leprechaun would fall under (when it you finish, Eric!).

I'd prefer that you don't consider Leprechaun since it's still a work in progress. Next year, after I've lost the SuperCharger contest to PoP.

Hi there!

I'd prefer that you don't consider Leprechaun since it's still a work in progress.  Next year, after I've lost the SuperCharger contest to PoP.

Neither Leprechaun nor PoP will stand a chance against TJs project, if he gets it off the ground as planned :D

Greetings,

Manuel

I'd prefer that you don't consider Leprechaun since it's still a work in progress.  Next year, after I've lost the SuperCharger contest to PoP.

986128[/snapback]

I don't mean any offense at all, but I didn't mean to nominate you! I keep following your progress on Leprechaun, and it's great, but like I said - I'll nominate it when you're done! :)

I was just using your game as an example of a game that some might not call a "port" because the gameplay is different. Since choosing which category to enter it into might be difficult, judging on different strengths, like originality for completely original titles vs. versimilitude for new ports might help authors decide which category to enter it into.

I was just using your game as an example of a game that some might not call a "port" because the gameplay is different. Since choosing which category to enter it into might be difficult, judging on different strengths, like originality for completely original titles vs. versimilitude for new ports might help authors decide which category to enter it into.

986277[/snapback]

Ahh... Well, I've never considered Leprechaun a port of Lode Runner. To me the objective of a port or remake is to duplicate the original game (although since many games have multiple ports, "original" may be open to interpretation) as closely as possible given the limitations of the platform.

Thus PoP and Beef Drop are clearly ports because they attempt to duplicate the graphics & gameplay. Where it may get fuzzier is if the graphics and gameplay are similar, but the actual levels do not match.

In any case, the author probably had a definite intent when they created the game.

Ahh... Well, I've never considered Leprechaun a port of Lode Runner.  To me the objective of a port or remake is to duplicate the original game (although since many games have multiple ports, "original" may be open to interpretation) as closely as possible given the limitations of the platform.

986714[/snapback]

That makes sense; and I would say that "originality" shouldn't be the only criterion for original games, but it certainly wouldn't be a factor for a port (since, hopefully, the result is wholly un-original! :) ).

Neither Leprechaun nor PoP will stand a chance against TJs project, if he gets it off the ground as planned :D

IF. And then still "maybe". :)

986540[/snapback]

Oh well, I might as well give up now then :) At the recent rate of progress I don't think I am going to be finished before the deadline in any case.

Chris