IGNORED

5200 Tempest update..

Dutchman2000

I'm proud to announce that the original programmer, Keithen Hayenga has joined the Tempest project! He will be working on it in his spare time so don't expect it overnight. The box, manual and label will be designed by George Reese.

It's great to have 2 original Atari programmers interested in completing the unfinished games they started so long ago. First Cloak & Dagger and now Tempest....

I'm proud to announce that the original programmer, Keithen Hayenga has joined the Tempest project!  He will be working on it in his spare time so don't expect it overnight.  The box, manual and label will be designed by George Reese.

:thumbsup:

Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself. Hopefully he'll program the game more than playing it :D

This is great news. Keep us posted on the progress.

[sTART DREAM SEQUENCE]

Once the 5200 version get's done then maybe it could be ported to the A8 with the driving controller :lust: Oh, and then even ported to the 7800...SWEET!!!!

[/END DREAM SEQUENCE]

[sTART DREAM SEQUENCE]

Once the 5200 version get's done then maybe it could be ported to the A8 with the driving controller :lust: Oh, and then even ported to the 7800...SWEET!!!!

[/END DREAM SEQUENCE]

987455[/snapback]

And for once, I think the back-port would have a reason to exist.

5200 trackball would be good too, though.

I'm proud to announce that the original programmer, Keithen Hayenga has joined the Tempest project!  He will be working on it in his spare time so don't expect it overnight.  The box, manual and label will be designed by George Reese.

:thumbsup:

Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself. Hopefully he'll program the game more than playing it :D

This is great news. Keep us posted on the progress.

[sTART DREAM SEQUENCE]

[/END DREAM SEQUENCE]

987455[/snapback]

It's been a long time since I've played an arcade Tempest but isn't just a paddle controller? Wouldn't a 5200 paddle controller be the best option for Tempest?

Man I can't wait for this game!!!!!!

Allan

I thought arcade Tempest used a spinner, not a paddle. The spinner could rotate indefinitely

in either direction without reaching an endpoint. Kind of like the driving controller, though

I thought the driving controllers were a little harder to "spin" rapidly that I remember the

Tempest controller.

--The Eidolon

I thought arcade Tempest used a spinner, not a paddle.  The spinner could rotate indefinitely

in either direction without reaching an endpoint.  Kind of like the driving controller, though

I thought the driving controllers were a little harder to "spin" rapidly that I remember the

Tempest controller.

--The Eidolon

987648[/snapback]

Yes, That's it. OK, so here's a question. If I replace the pot in a 5200 controller with one that can spins around without a stop, will it work. What are the values in non-stopping pot verses a stopping pot?

If this would work we could design a new controller for the 5200 just like the 5200 paddle controller.

Any thoughts?

Allan

I believe spinners use a quadrature encoder setup like a trackball instead of a variable resistor.

Remove the ball assembly from a 5200 trackball controller and you could probably make a nice little spinner out of the whole thing without too much effort.

I believe spinners use a quadrature encoder setup like a trackball instead of a variable resistor.

Remove the ball assembly from a 5200 trackball controller and you could probably make a nice little spinner out of the whole thing without too much effort.

987671[/snapback]

Yes, but doesn't 5200 Tempest use the 5200 controller with it's left and right pot?

Allan

Yes, but doesn't 5200 Tempest use the 5200 controller with it's left and right pot?

Allan

987674[/snapback]

Yes, but if they are programming it, why not add support for a proper spinner too? :D

Steve

987726[/snapback]

Maybe they could do both like Bryan's code in Castle Crisis.

Allan

Cool! This will be the only true home port of Tempest for any system! (Not counting Tempest 2000's 'classic' mode, which got it wrong, wrong, wrong. Nor am I counting emulation, which is not a port.)

Jeez, it's been 23 years. You'd think it would have been done by now! Can't wait!

987671[/snapback]

I did that with the PSX trackball, so it should be possible with the 5200 one. Getting the weight and alignment right was kinda tricky:

psx spinner