IGNORED

Blitz! for the 2600?

Impaler_26

Hi All!!! I'm new here and just wanted to say Hello to everyone.... and ask a few stupid Questions :D

I was playing Blitz! on my C64 a few days ago and i haven't found any 2600 game that plays like it.....

I don't know anything about programming but i'd say this would make a nice 2600 game and it shouldn't be too hard to.... (i guess) ?

So what do you think about it? Would anyone like to see a 2600 conversion of Blitz! too??

Hi All!!!  I'm new here and just wanted to say Hello to everyone....  and ask a few stupid Questions  :D

I was playing Blitz! on my C64 a few days ago and i haven't found any 2600 game that plays like it.....

I don't know anything about programming but i'd say this would make a nice 2600 game and it shouldn't be too hard to.... (i guess) ?

So what do you think about it?  Would anyone like to see a 2600 conversion of Blitz! too??

988279[/snapback]

Hi

yes,i like all new 2600 games.Try it.

greetings Gambler172 :)

Yeah sure I'll give it a go ;) ... been looking for an easy project to start me off again.

988695[/snapback]

:) yes give it a try! maybe it would even make a nice 1k game for next years mini-game competition.....

too bad i don't know anything about assembler-programming.... otherwise i would give it a try myself....

I haven't seen the C64 game, but I seem to recall a game called "Blitz" on the Vectrex. Is it essentially the same game? :)

988878[/snapback]

Nope, it's not the same as the Vectrex Game you mean. I don't have a C64-Version on my PC but here is a VIC-20 Version i found....

The C64-Version is exactly the same and i also have a lot of "Clones" of Blitz that have a Spaceship instead of a Plane...

Ok, now download the Game and check it out.... :)

:sad: argl... i couldn't upload it... can someone help me with that??

Anyway, in the Game i mean your constantly moving from left to right over a city.

when your ship reaches the right border it will appear again on the left side, but a bit lower. The goal of the game is to destroy the complete city with your bombs before you reach the ground.

Anyway, in the Game i mean your constantly moving from left to right over a city.

when your ship reaches the right border it will appear again on the left side, but a bit lower. The goal of the game is to destroy the complete city with your bombs before you reach the ground.

988901[/snapback]

Ah, then it's definately different. The Vectrex game is a simplistic football game, if I remember correctly. :)

At the moment I have a Random City generator and the buildings should be easily destructable.

And I'm attempting to add the plane (a little harder)

not sure about kong yet

Well I'll keep you posted ;) Actually I'll start a new post once I have the plane working.

989074[/snapback]

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to take a look at your work! ;)

Hi there!

Canyon Bomber?

Greetings,

Manuel

989117[/snapback]

Yes, i just tried Canyon Bomber out and it really plays quite like it.

But i think Blitz is more fun than that one...

• 5 years later...

I posted this in another thread, but I'm reposting it here so it will be more visible. It's a version of Blitz! called "bB Blitz" that I started back in 12/2005. It's totally unfinished, just quickly thrown together, and the code needs to be rewritten from bB 0.35 to bB 1.1, but every so often I think about finishing it.

It alternates between a title screen and demo mode. You have to press RESET (and then the fire button, IIRC) to begin an actual game.

Right now the buildings are the same every time, but the plan was/is to have random buildings of increasing difficulty (correlating to the number and average height of the buildings). And since the first "Blitz!" game I ever saw was "BLITZ World Tour"-- which has bonus levels where you must bomb famous landmarks (like the Statue of Liberty)-- I wanted to have bonus levels with stuff like the Great Pyramid, the Gold Castle from Adventure, an "Atari Headquarters" building shaped like the fuji symbol, and other Atari-related "landmarks." ;)

In the spirit of the old "112 Video Games" type of games-- meaning really the same game, but with many variations determined by numerous settings-- I also wanted to have a bunch of different settings, like whether the bombs drop straight down (as in the original Blitz!) or have a slight forward momentum to them (as in "BLITZ World Tour"), whether you have unlimited bombs or a set number of bombs each level, whether or not random wind could be a factor (making your plane move/descend either faster or slower depending on whether they're tail winds or head winds), plus a one- or two-player option, and stuff like that, with GAME SELECT used to pick the game variation. I also wanted to use the DIFFICULTY switches to add a handicap for more experienced players-- like maybe the plane descends further on each pass due to having damage to the wings in addition to being out of gas-- and also different starting levels, etc. For a two-player variation, each player could choose their starting level. (As you can see, my plans for the game were extremely modest. ;))

Right now the bombs have a slight forward momentum. When a bomb hits, the explosion must overlap the building by 50% or more (i.e., the center of the explosion must be within the walls of the building), or else it won't damage the building.

Like I said, it was just thrown together, and is unfinished, but is playable. And if I never do anything else with it, at least the code has been released so that somebody else can run with it if they want!

Michael

bB_Blitz.zip

Edited by SeaGtGruff
  • Like 2

I posted this in another thread, but I'm reposting it here so it will be more visible. It's a version of Blitz! called "bB Blitz" that I started back in 12/2005. It's totally unfinished, just quickly thrown together, and the code needs to be rewritten from bB 0.35 to bB 1.1, but every so often I think about finishing it.

Thanks for posting this!

I tried making a bB-Version of Blitz a few years ago but failed miserably (but my plane looked pretty much like yours). :lol:

I hope you will finish it one day, it could become a fun to play game with a few of the twists you had planned for it.

Thanks for posting this!

I tried making a bB-Version of Blitz a few years ago but failed miserably (but my plane looked pretty much like yours). :lol:

I hope you will finish it one day, it could become a fun to play game with a few of the twists you had planned for it.

The plane is a faithful pixel-by-pixel recreation of the one in the original game (I think-- one of the Commodore computer versions, anyway), so I'm not surprised yours looked pretty much the same! :)

I PM'ed the game to the poster who had started to work on an assembly version, and I'm afraid I may actually have made him too depressed to continue with his version. :( But what I was trying to do was show him how easy it would probably be to do the game in batari Basic (since I literally threw together my version in an evening or two). I told him at the time that I wasn't going to post my version, since I wasn't trying to compete with him or anything. But he never posted anything further, so I figured I might as well put mine out there. Like I said in my previous post, my code is now freely available for somebody else to pick up and run with if they want.

Michael

I told him at the time that I wasn't going to post my version, since I wasn't trying to compete with him or anything.

That's nice of you but i think it would be no problem if several people made their own version of the game, just like various people made countless Pong-variations for the 2600.

Like I said in my previous post, my code is now freely available for somebody else to pick up and run with if they want.

Hmm... In that case i might just steal ... errr... borrow your code and play around with it a bit. :D