IGNORED

Sega Saturn Wireless Controllers?

Jagasian

My family enjoys Bomberman for the SNES and Gamecube, but those games are restricted to 4 players maximum. Apparently the best Bomberman is the Sega Saturn Bomberman, which can have up to 10 players at a time, when using 2 multi-taps. The problem is, I know nothing about the Saturn. I'd prefer to use wireless controllers, so can the Saturn experts answer these questions for me?

1. Are there wireless controllers for the Saturn?

2. Are they any good?

3. What technology do they use infra red or RF?

4. If RF, what frequency do they use?

5. How many can be used at a time?

1)yes

2)no

3)infra red

4)see above

5)2

If RF enabled Saturn controllers exist, I have never seen or heard of them.

It's all about demand. There are companies that are bringing to market wireless controllers with modern RF technology to old systems. If they can deliver a product that people like, and their efforts are supported and encouraged, who knows? It may be possible we could see multi channelled RF enabled controllers for more systems, possiby even the Saturn.

It's a risk to support old systems with new manufacturing. Usually this sort of thing gets good community support online, and then fizzles on the drawing board, or at the money stage. Sometimes, it can get as far as a real product, and then it has to sink or swim based on it's merits, support/buzz from the grassroots gaming community, and then of course the more important public at large (that's where the $$$ is).

Constructive discussion about such things, and the pros and cons of actually doing it, is how ideas go from the planning board to the consumers hands.

Edited by omne

True dat. I have two taps as well. 10 channels on an RF controller would really be something. Wavebird does it of course, but still only supports 4 players on one Cube of course.

The nice aspect of the extension cords is that, if you are using two taps, you only need 2 extensions. Run the extension from the saturn to the tap, and usually everyone who can see the TV has tons of cord.

Another neat aspect to that, the third party multitaps seem to have short (8") cords on them, while genuine SEGA Saturn taps have a 3 foot + long cord, which helps even more when used with an extension.

If only setting it all up was as easy. :D Saturn Bomberman is definitely worth it. Great game to share with buddies and family. Both at the same time if you are gonna go ten player. :cool:

I wonder about the 360's possibilities for this. They haven't mentioned if it could theoretically support more than 4 wireless controllers connected to the system. Seems to me that since it's all internal anyway, it would be a silly restriction to have. That would open the system up to major party game possibilities, with multiple wireless 360 controllers.

Edited by omne

A little off topic, how hard is it to find Saturn Bomberman? I've recently acquired a Saturn with a bunch of so-so games and I'm looking for some that make it worth holding on to.

Wireless controllers make life great :) I wish more consoles had good wireless options.

Japanese import is cheaper than the NA one I'm pretty sure. My personal copy is Japanese. The game is of course identical, but the menus are in Japanese. It does get cumbersome when trying to set up a specific game variant, or option setup.

If one can snag a NA version for less than $30, it's well worth that in gameplay value alone, especially if you exploit the multiplayer aspect, like Jagasian and I do.

Right Jag? :D

Edited by omne

Stick to the stock Saturn pads, or a slew of Dreamcast influencing NiGHTS pads if you can find them.

Bomberman is a rarity 4 title, I think, over at Digital press.

Also bear in mind that it can use the NetLink for online play. I've never seen a Saturn bomberman that wasn't NetLink playable.

I think Bomberman supports up to four players over the net. but, it's Bomberman for crying out loud! How could anyone not want to play?

The 360 uses one internal RF transmitter. This means that it should be able to support more than 4 wireless controllers at a time, as there won't be multiple transmitters on the game system stepping on eachother's toes.

Yes, but for some reason they've made no mention of it's possibilities, or lack of possibilities. I'm reluctant to beleive it xcan do it, until it's shown to be capable of it, or at least announced in some official way.

It would indeed be a crazy limitation. I would wonder how the LED player indicator would work once you got past 4 players....

So, is Saturn netlink play a peer to peer thing? Requires no defunct servers, and is still possible to play? I imagine it's dialup only correct? (I've never used it, don't have the Netlink hardware)

I've found a possible solution:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=...oducts_id=3463&

It is a PS2 to Saturn adapter. If it is compatible with wireless PS2 controllers, then it should be possible to use high-quality RF controllers with the Saturn. Of course, there is no telling how many controllers can be used at one time. The Logitech controllers, however, support automatic frequency hopping, so there is a chance that more than 4 controllers can be used at one time. Though 10 will be pushing it.

You might run into problems, though, with the button layout and the dual modes on later models of both Saturn and PS1 controllers.

For one, the Dual Analog/Shock is going to have two extra buttons (L3 and R3, under the sticks) and an extra stick that you won't use. It also lacks the street fighter type layout of the NiGHTS pad.

Here's a thought: There might be a type of wireless switchbox out there. EIther that, or try running your AV wires on the Saturn closer to where you'll be sitting with the system. that'll reduce the wires you've got out where people will trip on them.

I don't think the wires for one or two games will be much trouble. I've had two PS1's linked and set up on separate TV's with two controllers each (eight extra wires there), and I've also had many a four player match on the good ol' N64.

I just don't think there's much choice in wireless for the Saturn. I've seen pix posted on here of Naki ones, and Naki made a decent wired pad, IMO, but that's about it.

Well, there is also a wired Saturn controller for the PS2, so maybe Sega will also make wireless controller for the PS2. When it comes to D-pad only games, the Saturn controller is supposed to be the best of the best, and hence it is being re-released for the PS2. Somebody needs to close the gap and release a wireless version... and hell, they need to do so for every gaming system, including the PC. D-pad only games are still fun, they are still made, and so somebody should make the ideal controller for them. This controller's design already exists, and only needs to be modernized via wireless.