IGNORED

Atari 400 Chess Prototype or Promotional copy?

toddst

The other day, I was going through some of my old games and I found a copy of Chess that had no real label, although it is in a Parker Brothers case. Instead of a label, it has a small rectangular sticker. The type on the sticker reads:

ATARI-400

CHESS

8K RLS.1

Below are pictures. Sorry that the pictures look horrible, they were taken with my camera phone. I don't have an Atari computer to test this out on. Do you think that this a prototype or a promotional copy? How could I find out? Also, is it worth more than a few dollars? I am just curious since I am clearing out my few atari computer games. I do not remember where I found this cart.

chess.jpg

chess2.jpg

Thanks,

Todd

http://www.eatanddestroy.com

That is a typical Parker Bros. prototype label. Congratulations!

RLS.1 stands for Release 1 which means that it is more than likely the same as the final version. You should get it dumped however just in case.

If you can get some better pictures of this prototype I'd love to review it. :)

Tempest

heres a close-up on the label

chess2.jpg

and a side by side with a released copy

chess1.jpg

since the cases are identical theres no point in additional pictures, the board is clearly different and there seems to be a weight difference in favor of the proto-copy. the game play is identical to the released version as far as we could tell. this game lacks for any sort of title, menu, level select, copyright etc that might give away a proto version. i guess you could crack the shell open (its a tight PB case) or compare the ROMs...

i wouldnt bother though, cause when todd was in the bathroom i switched the labels and kept the proto for myself

Tempest - if you need anything or other pictures, let me know.

Also, neither Christian nor I have a way of dumping the rom. I am going to check with a few NECG/Boston area people to see if they can do it.

-Todd

www.eatanddestroy.com