IGNORED

I want the FB3 to be... an Intellivision?

jbanes

What do you think of this idea?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this idea?

• Awesome idea!
    • Stupid.
    • Say Wha?!?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I want the FB3 to be...

...An Intellivision!

Um, actually the FB4 since the FB3 is probably finalized at this point...

You can pick your jaws up off the floor now. I haven't quite lost it. (Yet.) Just hang with me for a moment while I explain.

You see, while Atari has a large number of classical holdings, they are really only well known for one of them. That one is the Atari 2600. The problem is that they've already used up their 2600 card with the Flashback 2.0. From here on out, Atari is going to be fighting an uphill battle in getting their new, non-2600 Flashback units accepted. Hopefully they'll be very cool and will go over well, but each generation is going to have to be more technologically sophisticated. Even doing an 8-bit computer as has been suggested would be much more difficult than the original 2600-on-a-chip. (Not to say that they can't do it. I have faith in Curt and his team.)

To make matters worse, any attempts to create a Flashback 5200 or 7800 will be hampered by the fact that these consoles' libraries are mostly composed of Arcade ports for which Atari may or may not have the rights. What's needed is a simple hardware platform with an abundance of games that are not tied up in complex licenses.

Now consider something for a moment. IntellivisionLives.com has rights to hundreds of games that are not encumbered by third-party licenses. They've got the software, they've got the original team of Intellivision developers, and they've got everything except the resources to build Intellivision hardware. Their attempts at a PNP system to date have been poor, and have completely missed any sort of attraction the system might have to consumers. As far as most people are concerned, it's just another gamepad with lousy games.

Atari, OTOH, has the resources to build the hardware. They also have the "Flashback" name, which is well on its way to becoming its own brand. What they need are unencumbered games. So if Atari enters into a deal with Intellivision, both companies win!

My friends, I give you: The Intellivision Flashback!

post-8100-1136875033_thumb.png

Just imagine the library this thing could have:

Shark! Shark!

Star Strike

Minotaur

Astrosmash

Atlantis

Beauty and the Beast

Bowling

Chip Shot Super Pro Golf

Diner

Space Spartans

White Water!

Dragonfire

Demon Attack

Stampede

World Series Baseball

And many, many other cool games! All packed in the stylish and sleek form factor of the original Intellivision. Personally, I think it would sell like hotcakes. :)

Minor Edit: Fixed some typos

Edit: Looks like Curt has turned his attention to making an actual Intellivision Flashback! So if we can convince Keith, the FB4 may very well be an Intellivision console! :D

Edited by jbanes

A big part of the appeal of the old 2600 games is their "pick up and play" nature. Intellivision games, on the other hand, were developed under the guiding principle of being complex. Nobody is going to want to dig out an instruction manual to figure out how to play Utopia or whatever these days.

And remember the overlays? The ones that were absolutely necessary until you'd memorized the functions of all TWELVE keypad buttons in every game? How the heck would a hypothetical Intellivision Flashback handle those?

So, ummm.... no.

Edited by ZylonBane

A big part of the appeal of the old 2600 games is their "pick up and play" nature. Intellivision games, on the other hand, were developed under the guiding principle of being complex. Nobody is going to want to dig out an instruction manual to figure out how to play Utopia or whatever these days.

That's not true of all the games, however. Take Shark! Shark! as an example. Simple, straightforward, and easy to play. Similarly, Astrosmash, Atlantis, Beauty and the Beast, and many others are easy to pick up and play. These could easily encourage users to read the manual for more complex games like Star Strike.

Also, you may be underestimating the difficulty in getting started with a VCS clone. It might have been obvious in the late 1970's to use the reset button to start a game, but in 2006 it often confuses players. Similarly, games like Radar Lock, Quadrun, and Fatal Run require manuals to understand their complex controls or gameplay.

And remember the overlays? The ones that were absolutely necessary until you'd memorized the functions of all TWELVE keypad buttons in every game? How the heck would a hypothetical Intellivision Flashback handle those?

Indeed. I was thinking about throwing one of those promo images for the overlays onto the box mockup I did. I don't see any reason why the overlays for the bundled games can't be included. They're not that expensive to manufacture.

So, ummm.... no.

997512[/snapback]

Hrumph. You guys are no fun. :)

actually the intellivision is not a bad idea, it would never happen, but it's not a bad idea.

997561[/snapback]

You're probably right, but it's fun to kick around ideas like this. See if you can get people thinking outside the box, as it were.

Looks like at the moment we've got a three way tie between "Yay", "Nay", and "Huh?" We'll have to see if a concensus emerges or if the idea is just too weird.

....a brand new VCS manufactured the exact same way as before with all new games programmed by the best programmers from the classic era. Yeah right!!

997519[/snapback]

A Heavy sixer. LOL.

Now that this topic is back on atari, can we put it back in the flashback section? :D

Edited by Zonie

I like the idea of a real Intellivision workalike - no crappy NOAC emulation, thanks.

Actually, the idea of a Vectrex clone is appealing, but the vector display would kill it. If you had it output to a regular TV raster display (if that's even possible) it wouldn't be as appealing.

• 7 months later...

An Intellivision handheld was available before the first Atari flashback.

http://www.intellivisionlives.com/

Welcome to AtariAge! You must be new here?

(Sorry, sorry, couldn't resist the Slashdot meme. :D)

The Intellivision handheld, like the original Atari Flashback, contains versions of the games that were reprogrammed for a Nintendo-On-A-Chip (NOAC). Unlike the original Flashback, the controls do not evoke a sense of the original machine. Both were commercial failures. Most Intellivision fans are, in fact, quite upset over the poor quality of the Intellivision TV Game.

The Atari Flashback 2 differed from the original version. Rather than being another reprogram of the games, it contains a complete Atari 2600 On a Chip. That technology allows it to run ACTUAL games from the 2600, and even allows it to be modded to take original 2600 cartridges! In addition, the miniture CX-40 joysticks with the DB9 connectors are 100% compatible with the original 2600 hardware. Some folks purchase FB2s just to get a new set of joysticks! :-o

What this poll covers is the matter of bringing the same concept to the Intellivision. i.e. A miniture game console that not only resembles the original hardware, but is actually a faithful recreation capable of playing existing ROMs or Cartridges.

While it would be awesome to have an Intelivision Flashback, I'd be far more interested in a new Atari 2600, as I understand it, the FB@ can be moded to play real games, cause it has real hardware. Why not have the FB 3 take actual carts? (only if they're compatible with the 2600, being incompatible would be pointless)

I haven't bougth the first one, or the second one (though I've thought aobut trhe second one just for the sticks) But I guarantee you, if they third one was backwards compatible with my library of games, I'd be first in line here to get one.