IGNORED

Out of this World:is it possible to 2600 port?

fabventure2600

I haven't ever played "Out of this World" aka "Another World", but did you know that there is a 'free' GBA release?

Another World GBA ROM

Any game, 'within limits' is possible to port to the 2600, it all depends on how much limits you are willing to forgive. :) The Crazy Balloon port is a much better game 'for the 2600' than say DOOM or HALO.

I'd probably defer to Tempest on this one...

It was bearly possible on a computer as fast as the IIgs (2.6Mhz IIRC), and I think that was the slowest computer they released it on.  No way in heck the 2600 could do it.  The Jag could handle it nicely (like Flashback).

Flashback only uses the polygon renderer for cutscenes, and whoever ported it did an awful job, apparently using straight unoptimized 68K code. The slowdown in some of the cutscenes is horrid.

Of course the 2600 could do it if everything was converted to a sprite, but a lot of the appeal of Out of This World was the graphics, so there wouldn't be much point. You'd end up with something like 2600 Double Dragon.

It was bearly possible on a computer as fast as the IIgs (2.6Mhz IIRC), and I think that was the slowest computer they released it on.  No way in heck the 2600 could do it.  The Jag could handle it nicely (like Flashback).

Tempest

997746[/snapback]

and with"low-square-pitfall-side-scroll" graphic style?not considering landscape´s details from the original version and"reallistic"speed moves of course, and otw change"scenes"from the bottom to the top during the game,its not possible yet?(if ithe answer is "not" i promisse not extend the question)

Try it on the PC.

Unpack this

Another World Win32

and then unpack this into the same folder (or play this DOS version)

Another World DOS

The Win32 version in first link needs the resources from the DOS version.

Beware, the Win32 version was a work in progress, so if you 'get into' this game and it crashes unmercifully, you have been warned.

There is source available for the Win32 version (basis for DreamCast version)

I haven't ever played "Out of this World" aka "Another World", but did you know that there is a 'free' GBA release?

Another World GBA ROM

Also a free release for Dreamcast: http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/AnotherWorld.shtml

997784[/snapback]

Whoa. What would one need to do to get that to run on a real Dreamcast? Just download the BIN and burn it to a CD?

EDIT : I found this link.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13504

Edited by moycon

There IS an ATARI 800 XL version of Another World. I have the disk image somewhere. There are no cutscenes and it uses sprites, but it does exist.

I'm not sure if it's finished, I don't get far in the game.

An ATARI 7800 version is possible, based on sprites. With big enough carts, smooth animations are possible, stored on the carts.

No. Don't want another Double Dragon for the 2600 in terms of games that shouldn't be ported to the 2600. I think is more suited for thejaguar, maybe the lynx,and the 7800. 7800 can do up to 512K cartridge games. I think that is half of the genesis game for out of this world in terms of memory.

Edited by 8th lutz

i did some Mock images,i repeat,its about a Atari2600 "version",its not"emulation"to out of this World,it doenst mean to"rewrite detail by detail"from a

more powerfull system to 2600,it means make a economic and compatible version...

atarianotherworld.bmp

Atarianotherworld2.bmp

i did some Mock images,i repeat,its about a Atari2600 "version",its not"emulation"to out of this World,it doenst mean to"rewrite detail by detail"from a

more powerfull system to 2600,it means make a economic and compatible version...

999283[/snapback]

This is the ATARI 800 XL version of Another World :

another1.gif

another2.gif

another4.gif

Doable on the 5200 and the 7800, too.

On the 2600, it would be doable. Maybe similar

to Smurf, which is screen to screen, too.

Anybody who wants the disk-image, please contact me.

Whoa. What would one need to do to get that to run on a real Dreamcast? Just download the BIN and burn it to a CD?

I dumped the contents of the download into my inducer folder (subdirectory of SBinducer) and was able to create an image that way. The game seems much harder than I remember! :lol: Stupid worms with fangs!

Anyways, I uploaded the file for anyone who doesn't want to mess with creating an image themselves. It should burn easily with software like Discjuggler or Alcohol 120%.

Another World

BTW, this image won't work in Chankast, because SBinducer discs crash the emulator. :(

Edited by mojofltr

999283[/snapback]

This is the ATARI 800 XL version of Another World :

Doable on the 5200 and the 7800, too.

On the 2600, it would be doable. Maybe similar

to Smurf, which is screen to screen, too.

Anybody who wants the disk-image, please contact me.

999331[/snapback]

I wouldn't have believed it. Wow... I can't believe they even tried to get it on the Atari XL. Then again, without the cool cutscenes the game kind of sucks...

Tempest

I'll believe it when I see the ATR. Never ever heard of this. I wonder if it's just something some demo crew threw together that only has a few screens?

You can only play a few screens but, yes, it looks like the real thing. It was programmed by Robert Drag of Poland. I don't see why the game couldn't be fully done on the A8, it's just a matter of finding someone with enough time, motivation and coding talent.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

i didnt think anyone liked this game but me :) but i wish it could be ported. or at least a retro version. for the fun of it  :cool:

1000519[/snapback]

yes,i agree with you.......its a nice game to play..a cult classic....its a good programing chalenge.... looks like a 2600 advanced prototype....