IGNORED

Pink Panther Prototype

Tempest

Here are some screen shots and a short movie of the Pink Panther prototype for the Atari 8-bit. I do not have the rom for this prototype, but I am attemping to contact the owner. I will post more news when I have it.

Tempest

Pink Panther Proto Case

Pink Panther Proto Insides

Pink Panther Movie

Pink_Title.jpg

Pink1.jpg

Pink2.jpg

Pink3.jpg

Pink4.jpg

What inspires old programmers to not want to share these types of things?

1007263[/snapback]

It's not the programmer who owns this, it's a collector (not one anyone knows) who bought a stack of protos off the newsgroups years ago.

Tempest

We have a 2600 version, but it's being sat on as well.

Tempest, you've talked to so many collectors that you'd know better than anyone: why do some people like to sit on games? Do they feel that value will increase over time or is there some other motivation?

We have a 2600 version, but it's being sat on as well.

Tempest, you've talked to so many collectors that you'd know better than anyone: why do some people like to sit on games? Do they feel that value will increase over time or is there some other motivation?

1007475[/snapback]

It is confusing :? Would it make their original proto worth less to dump the ROM?

It is confusing :?  Would it make their original proto worth less to dump the ROM?

1007652[/snapback]

There may be people who would be willing to pay a lot to ensure that a particular ROM image gets archived. Such people may not see the need to spend so much money on a game if it won't help the archive community.

That having been said, I find the attitude of collectors who would decline to publish ROMs for that reason to be distasteful, except in cases where the collectors are actually affiliated with the original copyright holders. I don't object to the notion that people who rescue old prototypes should receive some compensation for their efforts, but sometimes it seems some people want to hold them hostage.

I don't object to the notion that people who rescue old prototypes should receive some compensation for their efforts, but sometimes it seems some people want to hold them hostage.

I always thought that sort of collector reminded me of Daffy Duck in the "Ali Baba Bunny" short. Especially at the end where, after being shrunk down to the size of a thumb, he runs over and grabs onto the pearl screaming "That's my pearl! Mine! Mine! Mine!"

I think some people just have a thing about sharing. Probably goes back to having a toy taken away from them in kindergarten or something. They just can't get past the idea that they have to be the only one with a particular thing.

It's kind of pitiable, really.

But hey... whatever. He bought the ROM. It's his to do with as he pleases. We may not agree with (or respect) that choice, but it's his right to make it.

• 1 year later...

Any news on it?

Maybe that "collector" has changed his mind...

Sadly I lost is e-mail when my computer died last year. :( I *might* be able to find though since I think I forwarded it to at least one person. I'll have to look into it.

Tempest

Heya Tempest....

Have you tried speaking with Dave Wickstead in regards to the 2600 Proto.

His group did it back in the day. Along with alot of other stuff for US Games.

Cheers,

- Ken (No longer at Lack-Of-Vision) ;-)