IGNORED

Arcade Donkey Kong: Lets Settle This!

Atariboy2600

I been seeing this everywhere from Donkey Kong Mockup to New DK Conceptual Gfx and I know everybody wanted to see a better arcade port of Donkey Kong for the 2600 and I beleave this will NEVER end till some one or many programers gets this out of the way and make one. I know Im not a 2600 programer or I may never will and many of you really good ones have other things in your hand or maybe even dont see DK on your high list of things but I think for the good of all some one maybe Thomas Jentzsch, Andrew Davie or Nukey Shay and maybe use like the arcade source codes or what ever becuase bring the true arcade version of DK home to the 2600. I know I do :)

Edited by Atariboy2600

The problem with this is that what programmer wants to spend a ton of time working on a project that:

A) Already exists, even if it is somewhat lacking

B) What exists is close to being as good as it can be already

C) Can never be released in cart form

The best you're going to get is a good hack. Focus your pleading there. :lol:

Edited by vdub_bobby

The problem with this is that what programmer wants to spend a ton of time working on a project that:

A) Already exists, even if it is somewhat lacking

B) What exists is close to being as good as it can be already

C) Can never be released in cart form

The best you're going to get is a good hack.  Focus your pleading there. :lol:

1011648[/snapback]

I dont buy that C one many can be in cart and dont have to be sold or selling it, one Nintendo will not sue if you dont sell it and it dont have to be. Two: we all know Coleco didnt even wanted to port there DK on the 2600 to compeat with the Colecovision. But again whos know. I mean look at Frogger and Q*bert for the 7800 ;)

Edited by Atariboy2600

I think nintendo would prevent this on a cart or a rom only game. I think It can be up to 32k now. 32k games wasn't able to be done or tried with the price on doing 32k games when Donkey Kong was first released for the 2600.

I am no programmer though.

Edited by 8th lutz

How hard would it be to get permission from Nintendo to do a new version?

1011660[/snapback]

I think it could be hard. Nintendo has plans of having online service to play old games on their new game console coming out. I am thinking that Donkey Kong for the nes would be one of them for their next game system called Revolution. I am positive that that gamers may have to pay for that. If nintendo allows the permission to make a new version, they might be asking money for doing it. Just because Take two interactive allowed a homebrew version of grand theft auto for the nes that doesn't mean nintendo would. Take two interactive didn't allow nes car versions of that game. I am show nintendo wouldn't allow carts too, along with them looking to make money off donkey Kong. The reason why I am saying that is because there were games for nes or snes that were released for the game boy advance.

Edited by 8th lutz

Best guess.........pretty damned impossible. :x

No offense, because I'd like to see it happen...but Mario/Donkey Kong is Nintendo's absolute trademark. No matter what they do, those two characters are their centerpiece. There is no way in hell they are going to license them out for a near 30 year old game system.

BUT!

I'm a scofflaw....if someone made it, I'd pick up a copy before Nintendo found out about it and put a stop to it. Of course, I would also encourage the coder to keep selling them, just for GPs(without broadcasting that he was selling them, of course).

Iggy*SJB,Thu Feb 2, 2006 7:58 PM]Best guess.........pretty damned impossible.  :x 

No offense, because I'd like to see it happen...but Mario/Donkey Kong is Nintendo's absolute trademark. No matter what they do, those two characters are their centerpiece. There is no way in hell they are going to license them out for a near 30 year old game system.

BUT!

I'm a scofflaw....if someone made it, I'd pick up a copy before Nintendo found out about it and put a stop to it. Of course, I would also encourage the coder to keep selling them, just for GPs(without broadcasting that he was selling them, of course).

1011683[/snapback]

Okay do anyone forget that we are talking about playing it on a old out dated 2600? I mean come one people. Even if some one makes this updtaed DK on the 2600 it will be on that unit, I mean look at the DK rom AtariAge already have ready to download and no one mad on that? I think Nintendo has WAY too many thing in there mind like how to best Xbox360 and PS3? :twisted:

Edited by Atariboy2600

Please. Atari sent C&D's over JoustPong, for crying out loud. You think Nintendo is going to just wink at somebody selling unlicensed Donkey Kong carts?

And giving away the ROM for DK is a little different than selling carts. Besides, Nintendo (AFAIK) has no copyright on the 2600 DK code, only Trademark on Donkey Kong.

And 32K or no, you could add the other two levels (and title screen, and intermissions, etc.), but I don't think the two levels that exist already can be dramatically improved upon.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Amen to that. The others are right. If anyone is worried about a bunch of corporate suits just rename the game and/or alter the graphics just enough so that it doesn't become an issue. Anything is possible if you have the fiath to follow it through ;)

exactly. Why the hell would you have to call it Donkey Kong. Give me a break.. just make it a clone already fools  :cool:

1011720[/snapback]

Just call it Honkey Ding or something. Doesn't have to be called Donkey Kong..  just make the game the same pretty much :P

620399[/snapback]

Dude, you've got to remember that you coined that name. Every time I read it, I laugh. That would be the ultimate name for a refurbished hack. Too funny, too, too funny.

ò¿ó   smiling_to_nintendo.gif

Amen to that.  The others are right.  If anyone is worried about a bunch of corporate suits just rename the game and/or alter the graphics just enough so that it doesn't become an issue.  Anything is possible if you have the fiath to follow it through ;)

1011901[/snapback]

i do not think the problem is the game but the trade mark. Nintendo is DK and Mario, and I am sure that they would protect the corporate brand to the death. You would have to change the name and the code and look of the game, then why bother, it is not the DK oyu were looking for anyway if you want a true Arcade conversion.

Well you could still have the ape, just change his colour from brown to black or white even. Mario could be slightly altered, change his colour, make his nose smaller, change the colour of his hari, the same with the girlfriend. It would still be the same game, just would slightly different. I saw it done in the arcades with games such as Monkey Kong and King Kong. it was basically the same game just slightly changed character graphics ;)

Besides, Nintendo (AFAIK) has no copyright on the 2600 DK code, only Trademark on Donkey Kong.

1011693[/snapback]

Unless there's a public record of them explicitly releasing it to the public, the copyright on DK/2600 should expire around 2077 (Coleco version) and 2082 (Atari version). That's 95 years (standard corporate copyright duration for published works) from 1987.

Well you could still have the ape, just change his colour from brown to black or white even.  Mario could be slightly altered, change his colour, make his nose smaller, change the colour of his hari, the same with the girlfriend.  It would still be the same game, just would slightly different.  I saw it done in the arcades with games such as Monkey Kong and King Kong.  it was basically the same game just slightly changed character graphics ;)

1011995[/snapback]

I believe in Crazy Kong the ape was green :? Am I remembering correctly?

Crazy Kong 2600 :thumbsup:

And as far as it already existing, that hasn't stopped the many Pac-Man hombrews.

I for one would like to see what's possible.

1011748[/snapback]

Ummm. There is one 2600 Pac-Man homebrew, which isn't for sale or even for distribution, I assume because Namco had a fit.

There are some hacks; notably Nukey's Hack 'Em and his 8K Pac-Man, and apparently Dennis is working on a new Pac-Man homebrew.

And Pac-Man is a different story anyway; it was/is more popular than DK and the original port was so awful that there is almost a visceral need to better it.

2600 DK isn't that bad.

Unless there's a public record of them explicitly releasing it to the public, the copyright on DK/2600 should expire around 2077 (Coleco version) and 2082 (Atari version). That's 95 years (standard corporate copyright duration for published works) from 1987.

My point was that Nintendo didn't write 2600 DK so I would assume they don't have copyright on the code. I didn't mean that no one did. Copyrights never die; of course someone still has a copyright.