IGNORED

Strange International Karate version... (pics!)

eobet

international_karate_1.png

From this site:

http://ekranownia.atari8.info/galeria.php?lit=i

What the heck is going on here? I thought that IK wasn't released for the Atari?

And those graphics look absolutely wonderful... kinda like the Atari ST graphics! But then again, many games in that site's listing seem to have extremely good graphics for an Atari, and I've never heard of most of them, so I don't know what exactly that site lists. (For those who don't know, the Atari ST had an "official" port with completely revamped graphics no other system got.)

I guess it's against the forum rules to ask where to acquire this... ahem...

But just so you know how serious I am about wanting to learn more about this:

ik.jpg

:)

IIRC the gameboy colour version of IK was written by the Rowland bros (who did creatures and mayhem in monsterland on the C64) and used the thalamus interactive sound enigne (there should be a soundengine demo ROM floating around the net someplace).

Was produced around 2000/2001 or somwhere around that point and a bloody nice version to boot.

ss_preview_ik2000_02b.jpg

Don't know much about the other versions though

EDIT: It would be 2000 because it says on the box. D'oh!

Edited by sack-c0s

What are you talking about? The Atari and C64 versions were written simultaneously...

1023070[/snapback]

What? But... how could I have missed it? No Atari User magazine I have ever mentioned it for the Atari and no gaming store I ever visited had it either, and I was always jealous of my friends with Commodore 64 machines who had the game.

How come the graphics were different?

IIRC the gameboy colour version of IK was written by the Rowland bros (who did creatures and mayhem in monsterland on the C64) and used the thalamus interactive sound enigne (there should be a soundengine demo ROM floating around the net someplace).

1023075[/snapback]

That's interesting. I know that Archer Maclean wasn't payed a penny for the Studio 3 version, though (that's why he released his own GBA + PSX versions through Ignition).

Edited by eobet

What? But... how could I have missed it? No Atari User magazine I have ever mentioned it for the Atari and no gaming store I ever visited had it either, and I was always jealous of my friends with Commodore 64 machines who had the game.

I have the IK original right here... One for Atari and one for C64

Because the C64 has color cells and the Atari has not.

What the heck is going on here? I thought that IK wasn't released for the Atari?

And those graphics look absolutely wonderful... kinda like the Atari ST graphics! But then again, many games in that site's listing seem to have extremely good graphics for an Atari, and I've never heard of most of them, so I don't know what exactly that site lists.

1023064[/snapback]

Eobet, what did you expected? Horrible graphics from 8-bit Atari? Far from that!!!

Look around and check games which really make use of its capabilities.

and archer wrote the atari version first as far as i know...

Yes, I believe it was previewed on the Atari first (in Computer & Video Games) but the game didn't have music or sound effects! I think it took a couple of months before Rob Hubbard converted the tune to the Atari so the C64 version probably hit the shelves first!

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Edited by www.atarimania.com

I have the IK original right here... One for Atari and one for C64

1023079[/snapback]

Ok, I saw a disk on Ebay as well (though under the "World Karate Championship" name from Epyx).

The say you say "the C64 has color cells" makes it sound like the C64 ought to have better graphics, but from the screenshot above, it looks like the other way around to me...

The game is far from being rare on the Atari... The ads and dealer lists always mention it as well.

BTW, notice the C64 version uses the Atari font ;)

1023091[/snapback]

Ads and dealer lists? Could it be possible to obtain a NIB (new in box) version of this game today? I'd be very interested, if that is the case.

I've Googled a bit more for images and info on the C64 version. Could it be that my Commodore owning friends had some sort of pirated version which didn't have that particular scenery with which the Atari screenshot was made?

Edited by eobet

Ads and dealer lists?

From the day I mean ;)

Could it be possible to obtain a NIB (new in box) version of this game today? I'd be very interested, if that is the case.

I'm afraid eBay is the only option for the European version. Otherwise, you can just get a brand new World Karate Championship in the US...

I've Googled a bit more for images and info on the C64 version. Could it be that my Commodore owning friends had some sort of pirated version which didn't have that particular scenery with which the Atari screenshot was made?

The backdrop pictured is the final scene on the Atari disk version. It's also side B of the tape release (the cassette version only has Sydney on side A and the Fuji Yama on side B). I would believe it's on the C64 as well...

--

Atari Frog

1023077[/snapback]

I´ve got a discversion of that game. The Commy-version is located right at backside of the floppy. Both versions had been released at the same time :D

In the US it was sold with different name: World Karate Championship. Perhaps that´s the reason, why you missed it. Some magazines (even here in Europe) mentioned only this.

The say you say "the C64 has color cells" makes it sound like the C64 ought to have better graphics, but from the screenshot above, it looks like the other way around to me...

The screenshots look almost the same. The C64 uses slightly more colors per rasterline, but it's only very little.

BTW, notice the C64 version uses the Atari font ;)

Weird enough, the Atari version doesn't.

There are two different IK (not IK+) on C64. Each of them has 4 different screens, that screen shown above is the forth of IK1 so you have to wait a while during demo mode until you can see it.

Edited by Fröhn

I´ve got a discversion of that game. The Commy-version is located right at backside of the floppy. Both versions had been released at the same time  :D

Might be. But you can't imply that, just because you have a dual-platform release.

I don't know about the Euro version. But IIRC, the US versions I've seen are single platform (not flippy). Epyx, Datasoft, Broderbund, and others published many titles both as single platform and later as dual-flippy ones.

International Karate

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from World Karate Championship)

International Karate (also known as World Karate Championship) is a karate computer game published in 1985 by System 3 for the ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC and Atari 8-bit family of computers. Versions of this game were later released for the Atari ST and the Amiga. There was a PC port too in CGA 4 colors.

The game is a simple beat-em up with a side view. Depending on how well you hit your opponent, you either score a half-point or a full point. There were many backdrops representing different famous locations in the world.

International Karate and World Karate Championship are identical except for the fact that the latter allows you to compete in either Australia or Egypt.

The game was programmed by Archer Maclean, and the music was by Rob Hubbard. Music from International Karate was performed live by a full orchestra at the third Symphonic Game Music Concert in 2005. The event took place in Leipzig, Germany.

A sequel to this game called International Karate + was later released.

What a crappy Wikipedia entry that is...

International Karate and World Karate Championship are identical except for the fact that the latter allows you to compete in either Australia or Egypt.

Not in the Atari version...

International Karate (also known as World Karate Championship) is a karate computer game published in 1985 by System 3 for the ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC and Atari 8-bit family of computers.

MSX as well and it was C64 / Atari first.

Versions of this game were later released for the Atari ST and the Amiga.

Wrong, the game was never ported to the Amiga.

--

Atari Frog

i would suspect that this is a demo version or even a pirate preview version... try to press M or S if music/sound starts...

i guess you mean the version when you press select does it not change the background?

btw the atari copy protection seems a nice one but was easy to crack... just decryp the bootloader and change one branch which bypass or checks the bad sectors on disc and thats it...

What a crappy Wikipedia entry that is... 

Not in the Atari version...

International Karate (also known as World Karate Championship) is a karate computer game published in 1985 by System 3 for the ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC and Atari 8-bit family of computers.

MSX as well and it was C64 / Atari first.

Versions of this game were later released for the Atari ST and the Amiga.

Wrong, the game was never ported to the Amiga.

--

Atari Frog

1023196[/snapback]

What do you mean by "not in Atari version?" I have World Karate Champ disk and it has more than 4 levels, it also has BOTH Australia and Egypt. More to I think, Off the top of my head I remember the levels in this order:

Sydney Australia,

New York City with the statue of liberty,

Brazil with Rio Dej'anaro(I'm sure that's spelled wrong),

Japan #1 with the Japanese "arch" and settng sun,

Egypt with Sphynx,

Japan #2 with the Palace(or some other huge structure in the background),

Greece with ruins,

Japan #3 with Mount Fuji.

I might have left out one or two there somewhere...

Edited by Gunstar