IGNORED

Jindroush = R.I.P. ?

lbaeza

Hi

Anybody knows what happened to Jindroush's site? Is the Atari Cartridge Dumping project still alive? This site had good info on A8 carts, I'm sad it's no longer online...

http://www2.asw.cz/~kubecj/index.htm

Regards

jindroush.jpg

PS: At least you can download the site's contents...

Edited by lbaeza

Sigh...

Not sure exactly why he left. Seems many people jump back into Atari for multiple reasons. Some for nostalgia, some for the uniqueness of it all, some not sure why.

Me, the Atari 8-bit computer was my first computer. I have some fond memories of times with dad, times playing games, times on BBS's. And those memories continue.

But I have noticed that some get a project in their head, and they go a good ways. But then when they make a game, and the feedback is few, they get deflated it seems. And after a while of thinking no one cares, fade away.

The problem with a hobby like this is, it takes a back burner to real life. You cannot expect time lines to be the same.

And projects well.. you start them, you have initial interest, interest might pop back up a year later, but ultimately projects are judged three ways in time in this hobby:

1) Not finished, but source code/work released for someone to follow.

2) Not finished, and all lost... a terrible loss.

3) Done (which is generally remembered by at least one fan fondly.) :)

I have found that many who leave this hobby tend to be those that worked on a project, and when it grew long in the tooth, and no on gave feedback, decided to move on in life.

Can't blame. But then again, I appreciate all that do things for the Atari platforms. Sorry I can't jump on or appreciate projects nearly as much as their creators, but it is appreciated. Even if it takes me a few months to get around to trying something. :D

And that is something you have to do with this crowd. Make something, then give it a few months. Then occationally remind people of improves, revisions, updates. That seems to be the real trick to this.

And you the user, if you start feeling burned out with Atari stuff, just take it easy for a while. Box it up, give it half a year. Maybe you're ready to move on, or just maybe you need a little break.

• Like 1

Jindroush sold his collection some times ago.

And I do not think he will be back...  :(

1027496[/snapback]

Any idea why?

There is another scenario that I didn't think of with the guys in Europe... some of the people might have never left the Atari scene since the start.

Total bummer, he had a lot of good info up on file formats and such.

I will put up a mirror of his files.

1027439[/snapback]

http://www.atarimax.com/jindroush.atari.org/

1027559[/snapback]

Beat me to it!! I was going to mirror at AtariPort. This is a good wealth of info.

1027728[/snapback]

For the memory of good site, here is my mirror:

http://freeweb.siol.net/diomedes/links.htm

http://gury.95mb.com/atari/jindroush.atari.org/

• 2 months later...
  • 11 years later...

Hello. I know this thread is more than 10 years old, but would love to know if you have access to Jindroush's dumps somewhere. I am particularly looking for the Arabic software (if he has any) and the Atari GAMES compilation.

Any directions are highly appreciated!

An archive of Jindroush site is at Atarimax website.

There is a nice article made by @dhor at Atarionline.pl where he had some Arabic Atari software to show: HERE.

It depends on where you live. If you live in Egypt, you may have the best (although minute) chance to get some of the rear ones.

I stopped by at ADawliah store in Jeddah in APR 2016 to ask for the faith of Atari Najm. As expected they had no clue of what ATARI NAJM meant at all.

Good luck in your venue of searching. If you get some interesting findings, please post them here at Atari age.

madi

I don't think the actual cart dumps are there, though - just the info about size, bankswitching scheme, screenshots, etc. At least, I have never found links to download roms of any of those. :?

You are right DrVenkman
Jindroush's Atari Cartridge Dumping Project gave more attention to detailed information on Cartridges such as packaging, label variations, photo, boards/hardware, cartridge headers/memory arrangements, etc. and not the software dump of the Cartridges
madi

An archive of Jindroush site is at Atarimax website.

There is a nice article made by @dhor at Atarionline.pl where he had some Arabic Atari software to show: HERE.

It depends on where you live. If you live in Egypt, you may have the best (although minute) chance to get some of the rear ones.

I stopped by at ADawliah store in Jeddah in APR 2016 to ask for the faith of Atari Najm. As expected they had no clue of what ATARI NAJM meant at all.

Good luck in your venue of searching. If you get some interesting findings, please post them here at Atari age.

madi

Thanks @Madi for your input. I was actually after the cartridge dump in the website made by Jindroush. From a subsequent posting of yours, it seems he never did that. I am not frankly interested in images of cartridges.

I do not live in Egypt nor am I an Egyptian, but I have asked a couple of friends who are to start a search for the cartridges, which is not easy either since none of us is aware of a shop or a redistribution agent who might be selling those in Egypt. So if you are Egyptian, or know someone who is, please tell me where to find these, and I will ask my friends in Egypt to give it a shot.

My Atari Najm 65 XE is the rare type: the one with only one letter ل on the key, and I know it does not function. However, once I am back to Jordan, my home country, I will have to bring it back with me to the US and see which ICs are dead and try to buy them off eBay and do some desoldering-soldering to get it back to functional. Also, I am positive I at least had one diskette from aDawliah that no one else has posted. It was a biology lesson in Arabic. If I am able to recover it (and by the way I did have to purchase an Atari 130XE, an XF551, and a SIO2SD which I do not regret), then I will surely share it as an ATR file (what is left from all this investment is the actual recovery of the diskette itself!).

• Like 2

Thanks @Madi for your input. I was actually after the cartridge dump in the website made by Jindroush. From a subsequent posting of yours, it seems he never did that. I am not frankly interested in images of cartridges.

I do not live in Egypt nor am I an Egyptian, but I have asked a couple of friends who are to start a search for the cartridges, which is not easy either since none of us is aware of a shop or a redistribution agent who might be selling those in Egypt. So if you are Egyptian, or know someone who is, please tell me where to find these, and I will ask my friends in Egypt to give it a shot.

My Atari Najm 65 XE is the rare type: the one with only one letter ل on the key, and I know it does not function. However, once I am back to Jordan, my home country, I will have to bring it back with me to the US and see which ICs are dead and try to buy them off eBay and do some desoldering-soldering to get it back to functional. Also, I am positive I at least had one diskette from aDawliah that no one else has posted. It was a biology lesson in Arabic. If I am able to recover it (and by the way I did have to purchase an Atari 130XE, an XF551, and a SIO2SD which I do not regret), then I will surely share it as an ATR file (what is left from all this investment is the actual recovery of the diskette itself!).

[PM[ sent.

madi

Did Jind ever distribute the roms?

I asked him if I could have them and he said no even though I'd sent him my entire digital collection on DVD's

This doesn't surprise me. Years ago, before he stopped working on the project, he had a notice on his site stating something to this effect: "Don't ask if you can download any of the ROM's listed on this site. This project has nothing to do with dumping carts so kool dudz can download warez. The sole puporse of this site is to archive information about Atari 8-bit cartridges."

This doesn't mean he didn't share the ROM's with some other trusted individual(s) who may still have the ROM's in possession. This also doesn't mean that he couldn't or didn't change his mind at some point, but it was never his intent to "get these out to the people" when working on the project. He was totally against it.

This doesn't surprise me. Years ago, before he stopped working on the project, he had a notice on his site stating something to this effect: "Don't ask if you can download any of the ROM's listed on this site. This project has nothing to do with dumping carts so kool dudz can download warez. The sole puporse of this site is to archive information about Atari 8-bit cartridges."

This doesn't mean he didn't share the ROM's with some other trusted individual(s) who may still have the ROM's in possession. This also doesn't mean that he couldn't or didn't change his mind at some point, but it was never his intent to "get these out to the people" when working on the project. He was totally against it.

Pardon me, but that sounds just like a holier-than-thou humble-brag project: "Marvel at my collection of cool and unusual stuff" in digital form; an older version of the present-day trend in Facebook Groups of the Uber Collectors who post pics of their walls of boxed carts and systems.

Maybe I'm wrong in this appraisal.

• Like 2

I don't want to demean his or anyone's work but archiving info from the roms just seems a waste if a. you are the only one with them or b. you suddenly drop the project.

He was quite happy to take the DVD's which I at the time offered in case there was anything in my collection he needed, I'll not miss if there was anything only he had as there's loads to keep me happy already but it was a strange attitude. Mine has always to make what there is available unless there was a reason no one wanted it shared ie copyright or current for sale item. There's very little that has not been shared but my hope is one day people will consider them PD and put them out...

Pardon me, but that sounds just like a holier-than-thou humble-brag project: "Marvel at my collection of cool and unusual stuff" in digital form; an older version of the present-day trend in Facebook Groups of the Uber Collectors who post pics of their walls of boxed carts and systems.

Maybe I'm wrong in this appraisal.

Yeah, partially, but he wasn't just bragging and showing his collection, there is a lot of useful information available on his site (bankswitching, board pictures, schematics, etc.). Pitfall Jones doesn't have any ROM's for download either and never did. He just wanted to see how big of a list and pictures of carts he could come up with. He didn't actually own all (most) of the carts, though. It was just an effort that he enlisted the help of others on AA to accomplish. It's also a quite useful catalogue.

• Like 1