IGNORED

Tunnels of Doom - TI-99/4A

Be honest. How much time have you spent playing this game? It's pretty freakin' awesome for a TI-99 game (surprisingly complex too). It's kind of annoying to wait for the cassette to load (could get the diskette if I wanted to get the expansion) but it's worth the wait to play this "3-d" adventure game.

Pity my quest editor disk went bad. Ah well, at least it's random dungeons.

1029028[/snapback]

Is it this one?

TOD_Adventure_Editor__The__1985__Asgard_.zip

1029070[/snapback]

Perhaps.

It's been a VERY long time since I used it. All I really remember was it had a grid to draw monster sprites, and that dad made a vampire with 0 HP so it was unkillable.

Nice to have one again.

Now I just need to get it onto a 4a floppy...

*starts digging for a serial cable and some docs*

My brother and I wasted dozens of weekends playing. Luckily we had a floppy drive so we could load and save quickly. I loved the fact it auto-mapped the levels so there were no maze tricks to figure out with pencil and graph paper like many other games had.

Never had the map editor, just played "Quest for the King" over and over. Good thing it randomized the dungeon each time you played.

I put a massive amount of time into Tunnels of Doom. I played the original levels for a long time, but later on I ordered some extra levels from good ol' Tigercub Public Domain Software. I regret that I never ordered a copy of "Wild Adventures in K-Mart" for ToD from Tigercub before they shut down after the owner passed away.

One thing that i've always wanted to do (but there's no chance in hell it'll ever happen) would be to play Tunnels of Doom on a TI-99/8. According to an old issue of MicroPendium Magazine, a bunch of TI employees and hardcore enthusiasts built TI-99/8 computers with the parts already manufactured for it before TI cancelled the project. There's something like 100-150 TI-99/8 prototypes out there, and they're supposed to be fast. Playing Munch Man was supposed to be blisteringly fast. I'd love to play ToD on one, to speed things up a bit. And just to see how good the "Armadillo" (the project code name) could have been.

I put a massive amount of time into Tunnels of Doom. I played the original levels for a long time, but later on I ordered some extra levels from good ol' Tigercub Public Domain Software. I regret that I never ordered a copy of "Wild Adventures in K-Mart" for ToD from Tigercub before they shut down after the owner passed away.

1029305[/snapback]

Never heard of that one! I have some 500+ Tigercub disk images. I don't suppose you know what disk it would be on? :ponder: ;)

I wonder if the Geneve was compatible with ToD? That certainly would have given a big speed boost. I've never actually seen a Geneve in real life though. :(

One thing that i've always wanted to do (but there's no chance in hell it'll ever happen) would be to play Tunnels of Doom on a TI-99/8. According to an old issue of MicroPendium Magazine, a bunch of TI employees and hardcore enthusiasts built TI-99/8 computers with the parts already manufactured for it before TI cancelled the project.

When it was canned, they basically walked out with the existing protos is the way I understand it. There's 2 diffrent models out there, too. If I recall, the major diffrence, aside from general construction, was that the later protos had the integrated P-Code interpreter.

I've never seen one, but my dad was working in TI during the home computer period.

He came out with GROMs for most of the games. Lost the printout telling what GROMs are what software, though. :(

There's something like 100-150 TI-99/8 prototypes out there, and they're supposed to be fast. Playing Munch Man was supposed to be blisteringly fast. I'd love to play ToD on one, to speed things up a bit. And just to see how good the "Armadillo" (the project code name) could have been.

99/8 ran at something like 3x the clockspeed of the 4a.

Had a compatibility mode selectable from the main menu to slow the clockspeed back down to 4a levels.

One of those things I would've LOVED to see come out. I grew up on the 4a, and it kills me to know it could've continued on.

99/8 ran at something like 3x the clockspeed of the 4a.

Had a compatibility mode selectable from the main menu to slow the clockspeed back down to 4a levels.

1029322[/snapback]

According to what I've been able to find out - the Myarc Geneve took the 99/8 idea into reality. I'd sure like to get one. :cool: