IGNORED

7800: Ms. Pac-Man, updated graphics

PacManPlus

I'm to blame for asking the question. I love playing Pac-Man and Ms. Pac on the 7800 (through the CC2, along with the other great Pac-hacks), and it was just a little sad to go from those cute Bakasama-ghosts back to the slab-ghosts when I wanted to play Ms. Pac-Man. Thanks much all around for making the effort.

I've messed around with minor bit-hacking on some 2600 games. Perhaps I should see what. if anything, I can do to a 7800 game. I like Dig Dug, but those sprites look a little clumsy at times. :)

I was asked in another thread about using the updated graphics on the standard Ms. Pac-Man ROM, so here it is!

Note, I did not change the High Score routine, because it's the same game.

Enjoy!

Is there any screen shots?

post-2829-1142583361_thumb.jpgpost-2829-1142583368_thumb.jpgpost-2829-1142583223_thumb.jpg

What emulator are you guys using to play this?

@Trebor (Robert spelled backwards :-D) Thanks!

@RT

I use the 'ProSystem' emulator (don't currently have a link to it - I'm at work), I don't know if the other guys use something else...

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

I use the 'ProSystem' emulator (don't currently have a link to it - I'm at work), I don't know if the other guys use something else...

Most of the time I use Mike Murphy's EMU7800 0.60, tho sometimes I use mess 0.102.

Thanks. I'll see which one I like the best. I thought there might be one that everyone agreed on by now.

Here's some screenshots using the ProSystem Emulator with the NTSC Palette colors obtained from Stella:

Ms_Pac_Man___Layout_2.bmpMs_Pac_Man___Layout_1.bmpMs_Pac_Man___Layout_3.bmp

The Prosystem emulator in better than MESS for these reasons:

A. Slightly better compatibility (No top line in Centipede, Kung-Fu Master is actually playable).

B. The option to load a Palette.

However, MESS is better for these reasons:

A. Controller mapping (Currently, ProSystem only maps to your keyboard).

B. More display options

I *really* want to make ProSystem my 7800 emulator of choice based on the palette option alone. However, a couple of other bugs persist too:

1. When loading from a command line via a front end (I.E. Game Launcher), it does start up, but the screen shows the Windows Taskbar and the rest of the screen blank with the Prosystem emulator running. You see it is running in the Taskbar, and hear ir running the game (You can start a game as well - Controls respond fine as too). However, as I stated the screen is blank/black except for the task bar.

2. In conjunction with the first item, the "menu bar" of the emulator should have an option or automatically be "off" when loading a rom. This is especially essential for those (like myself) who have the Left Alt key mapped as one of the controller buttons. Alt servers as a toggle to the menu bar when it is present on the screen.

3. The emulator always goes back to the default/internal palette when loading a new rom or exiting and entering the emulator. It never saves the setting to use the external palette (Although it shows using the external palette and not to use the internal one in the Prosystem.ini file).

On the other hand, MESS would remain my preferred choice if:

1. The ability to select an external palette or a corrected internal NTSC palette.

2. Better compatibility of the issues ProSystem has already addressed - Centipede/Ms. Pac-Man.

Anyhow, if anyone is curious how to get the better NTSC palette loaded into Prosystem just ask.

-Trebor

P.S. Sorry if I took the thread for a loop. I was just real excited about the graphic mod on the original Ms Pac-Man sprites, and how much it improves the look of the original 7800. I wanted people to see what it would look like with the correct colors as well.

Edited by Trebor